Menu

Rosetta Stone German

My dd is doing Rosetta Stone German for a high school credit. She does well during the actual lessons but has trouble with the worksheets and quizzes. I think one problem is that is intuitive. When her older sister had a foreign language in high school it was more in units such as numbers, colors and later things like using different tenses. Rosetta Stone is so different and I'm not really sure how to help her to do better.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We are doing Spanish but encountered the same issue. For us it was because Rosetta Stone is weak in grammar and it's much easier for the student to pick the correct answer in the program with an incomplete understanding of grammar than it is to complete the workbook with an incomplete understanding of grammar. For instance, it was easy to pick the correct verb conjugations in the program because it was basically multiple choice and the rest of the sentence basically "gave away" which was the correct answer but that isn't the case with the workbook. We added grammar resources and that took care of the problem for us.

What did you use for grammar

Not Cheryl in SoCal, but wanted to let you know that Hewitt Homeschooling carries Grundlage Deutsch Worktext: Fundamentals of German, Levels 1 & 2. I believe these worktexts are used alongside the Rosetta Stone program when following Hewitt's German syllabus. HTH!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I bought some of the Practice Makes Perfect books (one on verbs and one on pronouns) and am waiting on a vocabulary one from Barron's EZ series. The ones from Practice Makes Perfect have been helpful but it looks like the Barron's may offer more general help (pronunciation and other help not in the more specific PMP books). Here are the German versions.

http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Grammar-Easy-Way/dp/0764142615/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285012680&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=german+practice+makes+perfect&sprefix=german+practice+m