Menu

Ummm...I need help with secular/ gentle christian...

simka2

Home arts type curriculum :confused:. My dd is on a cleaning, decorating, cooking kick!!! At the same time I don't want anything that comes across as saying, "this is your role!" KWIM?

It would be great if it was gender neutral to...as I want my boys to have these skilss as well.

They seem to do with a clear plan, more than if I tried to put together something.

Please help!!!

I have no clue but I'll be :lurk5:.

I've picked up and tossed more books than I can count.

At this point, I'm just teaching her what I know and getting subject-specific books from the library.

I'm sick and tired of "Act like a lady" by learning how to cook, sew, dress modestly, and judge other women who don't. [sarcasm] REALLY ladylike. [/sarcasm]

Is the Home Economics for Home Schoolers from the Pearables too religious and "training our daughters to be keepers at home" for your tastes? It has a bit of that element but I personally don't find it overwhelmingly so. And I really like the activities in Level 1 (haven't seen the other levels).

Take a look at Christian Light's Home Ec 1. Scroll down on the page and you will see a description of the Light Units (workbooks). If you click on Home Economics 1, you can view samples from each of the 10 LU's. There are pdf files under each number.

It looks to me like the only LU that would contain that type of information is the last one. You could just leave that one off. It's very affordable, too.

The Home Ec 2 is only for Mennonites, sewing their headdress and clothing.

Edited by mom31257
left off something

I'm keeping my eyes and ears open too. My ds needs to know these skills. Many young men live by themselves at least for four years (college, etc.), and knowing how to cook, bake, sew and keep a home is not only extremely practical, but would win him lots of points with the opposite sex ;)

In addition, some women don't know these skills, so he could teach the girl he picks (I still don't know how to sew and cleaning is not something I even think about). Even if his wife does know these skills, he'll be a much more valuable husband if he can pick up if and when she's ill, pregnant, etc. My dh is very adept at many things, and is able to be a team with me.

Women I believe should be able to change a tire, lightbulb, and repair basic things (this includes the toilet). More than ever women are living alone for years as well.

If you're not opposed to a Catholic program, there's the Little Women Hospitality program that covers much of what you're describing. It's not going to be wholly without the "this is your role" element, but I have looked at it, and it's not too overwhelming. The emphasis is on making others comfortable in all situations, rather than solely on a woman's role. :)

I liked the looks of this one and its free http://www.futurechristianhomemakers.com/FCHLessonsIndex.html

We haven't started using it yet though.

Okay, I will be honest and say that when I first saw the title of this...I almost wanted to pass. Who knows, but I decided to give it a look...WOW!!!! I'm impressed. I will have to print it out and do some mild editing to make it more gender neutral...but it is very well done!!!

I'm going to look at some more, but this just moved up on my list!

If you're not opposed to a Catholic program, there's the Little Women Hospitality program that covers much of what you're describing. It's not going to be wholly without the "this is your role" element, but I have looked at it, and it's not too overwhelming. The emphasis is on making others comfortable in all situations, rather than solely on a woman's role. :)

That is really cute! I love that the second year includes art and decorating! I might need to look at this for further study for dd.

Is the Home Economics for Home Schoolers from the Pearables too religious and "training our daughters to be keepers at home" for your tastes? It has a bit of that element but I personally don't find it overwhelmingly so. And I really like the activities in Level 1 (haven't seen the other levels).

I bought this book and I plan to use it with my SONS. ;) Yes, the book is written about a little girl named Faith. But the comments about Faith are very benign- "Faith has learned that salads are an important food item to keep her strong and healthy" or "Faith is going to show you the easy way she makes her bed." Personally, I think that girls have to deal with books written from the "he" perspective plenty, it won't hurt my boys to read a book about a girl's experiences.

As far as religious perspective, each chapter has a scripture reference to begin the chapter, one which is loosely related to the subject matter. But there is no commentary on the verse and no direct reference to it in the chapter itself. So we as parents are left to incorporate it as much or as little as we choose. Of the 30 chapters, eight of the scripture references are specifically about women. The rest are either gender neutral or referencing men.

I also paged through the entire book, and God is only mentioned in the first chapter: "Remember that your body is God's temple. We must take very good care of it." All the rest of the chapters are focused on the subject at hand, with occasional gentle instruction from mother. No discussion of girl's roles or obligation at all. It appears to me to be deliberate, so that again parents can emphasize this or not at their discretion.

The lessons themselves are meatier than I expected for a book aimed at 6 and up. There are actual instructions and recipes (for real food, not just playing at cooking like peanut butter balls). Lots of practical instructions, and I even learned a few good tips from the book myself! :blush:

I bought this book and I plan to use it with my SONS. ;) Yes, the book is written about a little girl named Faith. But the comments about Faith are very benign- "Faith has learned that salads are an important food item to keep her strong and healthy" or "Faith is going to show you the easy way she makes her bed." Personally, I think that girls have to deal with books written from the "he" perspective plenty, it won't hurt my boys to read a book about a girl's experiences.

As far as religious perspective, each chapter has a scripture reference to begin the chapter, one which is loosely related to the subject matter. But there is no commentary on the verse and no direct reference to it in the chapter itself. So we as parents are left to incorporate it as much or as little as we choose. Of the 30 chapters, eight of the scripture references are specifically about women. The rest are either gender neutral or referencing men.

I also paged through the entire book, and God is only mentioned in the first chapter: "Remember that your body is God's temple. We must take very good care of it." All the rest of the chapters are focused on the subject at hand, with occasional gentle instruction from mother. No discussion of girl's roles or obligation at all. It appears to me to be deliberate, so that again parents can emphasize this or not at their discretion.

The lessons themselves are meatier than I expected for a book aimed at 6 and up. There are actual instructions and recipes (for real food, not just playing at cooking like peanut butter balls). Lots of practical instructions, and I even learned a few good tips from the book myself! :blush:

Thanks for the further info! I think I looked at some of there stuff at a conference and got scared off, but I might just have to take another look ;).

What about 4H? They have projects relating to many of these skills (at least the cooking, decorating and woodworking parts.) DD10 just baked some strawberry banana bread for our neighbor who's husband passed away last week. She is also looking for a dress pattern so she will have some dresses to wear for church (she is thin so she has trouble finding dresses that are long enough that fit.)

For cleaning, I just came up with a new chore each week to learn and had them do it with me with step-by-step instructions. My kids are whizzes at cleaning bathrooms because they have been taught how to follow my laminated step-by-step list. (Not just shoved in there with cleaning products and a mop then yelled at for doing it wrong like my mom did to me.)

What about 4H? They have projects relating to many of these skills (at least the cooking, decorating and woodworking parts.) DD10 just baked some strawberry banana bread for our neighbor who's husband passed away last week. She is also looking for a dress pattern so she will have some dresses to wear for church (she is thin so she has trouble finding dresses that are long enough that fit.)

For cleaning, I just came up with a new chore each week to learn and had them do it with me with step-by-step instructions. My kids are whizzes at cleaning bathrooms because they have been taught how to follow my laminated step-by-step list. (Not just shoved in there with cleaning products and a mop then yelled at for doing it wrong like my mom did to me.)

I've been thinking about this. Right now they are pretty booked on projects...but I think I can still by the materials without sighning them up. Hmmmm...that will probly be the most secular/gender neutral option. :D

We're using Keepers of the Faith and it has specific gender roles, however, it mentions that you may want to teach some skills to both genders. I have the Keepers book as well as the Little Keepers and Little Contenders books. The books are basically outlines to follow and a record to mark what tasks they complete and when. There is a little bit of information, but you might need outside sources for many of the projects (we usually just use the Internet).

It is a bit "old fashioned" and I don't agree it everything it says, but I have no problem using it in our school.

Okay, I will be honest and say that when I first saw the title of this...I almost wanted to pass. Who knows, but I decided to give it a look...WOW!!!! I'm impressed. I will have to print it out and do some mild editing to make it more gender neutral...but it is very well done!!!

I'm going to look at some more, but this just moved up on my list!

:lol::lol:

I totally understand. I saw the link once and almost didn't look at it. My dd wants to do a home ec class and my ds will join in. I was very surprised when I read through these lessons to find something that could actually be used by both of them (as you said, perhaps with minor editing).