Menu

Does anyone use TOG to self-educate?

lovinmomma

The teacher's notes are the source for history for me and the lit. selections in D and R usually offer me choices I did not have during my school years. I try to read as much as I can during breaks of school so I'm ahead and not wiped out during actually school sessions. It very nice having everything in one place and all laid out for me :)

I thought about doing this. I am SO EXCITED to start TOG, so I thought I'd buy it early and work through it on my own. But I ended up getting The Well-Educated Mind and doing that instead. I'm kind of glad too, because I'm not moving very fast though the books in WEM!! I am going to buy TOG about 6-12 months before I plan to start teaching it though, just to give myself ample time to get familiar with it and comfortable. But I really can't wait. It covers SO MUCH and I get all giggly and excited wen I look over the scope and sequence.

The teacher's notes are the source for history for me and the lit. selections in D and R usually offer me choices I did not have during my school years. I try to read as much as I can during breaks of school so I'm ahead and not wiped out during actually school sessions. It very nice having everything in one place and all laid out for me :)

Ok. I do plan to read the teacher's notes.

I thought about doing this. I am SO EXCITED to start TOG, so I thought I'd buy it early and work through it on my own. But I ended up getting The Well-Educated Mind and doing that instead. I'm kind of glad too, because I'm not moving very fast though the books in WEM!! I am going to buy TOG about 6-12 months before I plan to start teaching it though, just to give myself ample time to get familiar with it and comfortable. But I really can't wait. It covers SO MUCH and I get all giggly and excited wen I look over the scope and sequence.

You sound like me! LOL I'm all giggly about it, too.

I do! We started TOG this summer, and I'm trying to do some of the rhetoric literature, read through the Pageant of Philosophy sections and read the dialectic music history book. I "cheated" and listened to an audio CD of Paradise Lost, because it intimidated me, but I did enjoy it. :)

Is PoP a literature book? Sorry, if this is an obvious question.

It is my intention to read at least some of the R level literature and the teacher's notes. I can't say that I have gotten around to reading very much of it. But I enjoy it when I do. And when I don't, there is plenty in the LG level that is new to me, so I am still learning.

I have not used TOG to its fullest extent to self-educate, but I have done a lot of the literature in Year 2 and Year 3. I enjoyed it and it was extremely helpful for me to work through it so I could assist my rhetoric level children. The rhetoric literary analysis assignments, especially in Year 2, are very meaty and are done in a way I had never used before. At the very least, if a parent reads the Poetics manual (supplied Years 2-4 only at this time) and Words of Delight, and works through at least one story, one poem, and one play I think it would be well worth your time, both for self-education and for the greater benefit of your student.

I also worked through much of the government studies. If you could at least read Republic (Plato's and Cicero's), The Prince, the US foundational documents, Democracy in America, Communist Manifesto, and then a few of the big Supreme Courst decisions you're good. Even better if you could read more. As a Christian I also recommend City of God. Some of these books are scheduled to be only partially read, but I make my children read the whole thing so I read the whole thing (same with literature.) I can't tell you the number of times Plato's Republic and The Prince have come up as we discussed world leaders in history, and Democracy in America comes up a lot too. In today's light we've often wondered if Tocqueville was a prophet. :D

Edited by Karenciavo

Is PoP a literature book? Sorry, if this is an obvious question.
It's an ongoing "story" or skit that discusses what's going on in the high school Philosophy elective.

What is in the teacher's notes? Is it mainly straight out of an encyclopedia? Or is there more?
Not only encyclopedia, but also lit. analysis, added info. from Marcia, and scriptural reference pert. to church history. It's everything you need to function in your many roles as teacher in all the areas of humanity. It goes well beyond education and helps with instruction.

I have not used TOG to its fullest extent to self-educate, but I have done a lot of the literature in Year 2 and Year 3. I enjoyed it and it was extremely helpful for me to work through it so I could assist my rhetoric level children. The rhetoric literary analysis assignments, especially in Year 2, are very meaty and are done in a way I had never used before. At the very least, if a parent reads the Poetics manual (supplied Years 2-4 only at this time) and Words of Delight, and works through at least one story, one poem, and one play I think it would be well worth your time, both for self-education and for the greater benefit of your student.

I also worked through much of the government studies. If you could at least read Republic (Plato's and Cicero's), The Prince, the US foundational documents, Democracy in America, Communist Manifesto, and then a few of the big Supreme Courst decisions you're good. Even better if you could read more. As a Christian I also recommend City of God. Some of these books are scheduled to be only partially read, but I make my children read the whole thing so I read the whole thing (same with literature.) I can't tell you the number of times Plato's Republic and The Prince have come up as we discussed world leaders in history, and Democracy in America comes up a lot too. In today's light we've often wondered if Tocqueville was a prophet. :D

I heart you. This is one I'm printing :)

I do. When I plan my TOG weeks, I set up four columns: one for each dc, and one for me. I read most of the R level material, as well as any UG and D I am not familiar with. The way my dc are spaced, I read the notes and questions for every level, too. I answer the questions for R myself, though, before I read teh answers in the book. :001_smile:

Thank you so much for this help! Why do people usually work through the lit and not the history books? (I've noticed that you included both.)

I do. When I plan my TOG weeks, I set up four columns: one for each dc, and one for me. I read most of the R level material, as well as any UG and D I am not familiar with. The way my dc are spaced, I read the notes and questions for every level, too. I answer the questions for R myself, though, before I read teh answers in the book. :001_smile:

Good thinking. This is so helpful. Off to look on amazon. :D

Thank you so much for this help! Why do people usually work through the lit and not the history books? (I've noticed that you included both.)

I think lit is an area where many people have VERY little education, where at least in history, we have a bit. Plus, it's easier (imho) to fake the history discussion than the lit one is you're not prepared for the lesson...just keepin' it real ;)