Menu

Simka and horse people, yet another ?

Anyone know the name of that sedative for horses that is long term? I'm going to call my vet today and TELL him what I need (not ask) and I need the name so I'll look like I know what I'm doing.

Simka, I cold hosed her this morning. You know, in all my years of horses, and that would be 44, I've only had to deal with one wound worse than this, in Feb, and I didn't cold hose. I've cleaned off scrapes and cuts before. How long and how hard should I direct the water on the wound?

I guess I should be glad that in all this time I've never had to deal with this before, but 2010 sure has been a bad horse year here with Memphis dying at the trainers and now this.

Nasty graphic pictures are up on Fable's fb, or the Round Pen blog. If you can stomach it, go look and give me input. I'm through with the vets on this one.

I will direct a soft and steady stream above the wound allowing it to run over the wound...for about 20 min 2 times a day. I will go look at the pics and see if I think of anything else!!!

PS...I could hose after every hard work out...it helps reduce any inflamation in the area :)

Journey, this has been such a long complicated injury.

8/12- returned from vacation to find Fable has injured a tendon. Vet cleans puncture wound and splints it.

8/18- splint not working,splint has caused new wound, puncture wound mostly healed, vet puts on cast.

9/8- cast is making a third wound, vet cuts it into front and back pieces to use for tendon support.

9/19- cast/splint smells so bad I have dh cut it off and find a putrid pony leg. This would be the fourth and biggest wound yet. I refuse to put anymore cast crap on her leg and am treating with topical and oral antibiotics.

You can look at the round pen blog below for nasty pictures of the whole ordeal. We have two issues to deal with, the wounds, which I'm confident I can clear up, and the most importent- was she casted long enough for the tendon to be healing, and can we keep up the healing without re-casting the foot, which I will not do. The vet said in her case surgery is not an option.

I know it might sound silly, but check in with an equine massage therapist. One of the biggest things needed to heal a leg wound is proper circulation, particularly lymphatic flow, to remove the waste products from dying cells and the metabolism of healing. Since you probably can't convince her to lie down and put her hoof up, a good lymph massage might be the next best thing. I always explain to clients that improved circulation and lymph flow help to create the optimal internal environment to support healing and proper tissue function.

Just looking at the pics you have...I would wrap with clean sterile bandages and vet wrap...for awhile. The wound is really close to the ground, and I would want to keep it free of dirt, until that infection is a bit more under control. These are bandages you would change daily so you would really be able to see if they were improveing or not.

Those horse in the pics I sent you was owned by a 15 yr old girl, she learned very quickly how to wrap. Once the infection has cleared up, yes I would keep it exposed to the air. This way is more work, but it's the only way I know to avoid "proud flesh."

You can keep it open, and it will heal...but that proud flesh is really ugly!!!

I know it might sound silly, but check in with an equine massage therapist. One of the biggest things needed to heal a leg wound is proper circulation, particularly lymphatic flow, to remove the waste products from dying cells and the metabolism of healing. Since you probably can't convince her to lie down and put her hoof up, a good lymph massage might be the next best thing. I always explain to clients that improved circulation and lymph flow help to create the optimal internal environment to support healing and proper tissue function.

:iagree:and you can look into stretches as well. Especially, for the other 3 legs!

Yikes those are some ugly wounds. Poor girl. I don't really have any suggestions as I have never, praise the Lord, run into anything so gruesome (sorry). I do wonder about the continuous cold hosing though. I'm thinking that keeping it moist is preventing it from drying up and healing. But, it needs to be kept clean so it's like a rock and a hard place kind of thing. The ligament...are you keeping her stalled? There is a horse in our barn that did something to her ligament and has to be on stall rest for 6 weeks. I'm thinking, does your horse need that type of rest/confinement? If so, it might be easier to keep her leg clean thus not so much cold hosing but more careful drying with a hair dryer and then antibiotic ointment (oral too) as needed? What has the vet been saying lately?

Yikes those are some ugly wounds. Poor girl. I don't really have any suggestions as I have never, praise the Lord, run into anything so gruesome (sorry). I do wonder about the continuous cold hosing though. I'm thinking that keeping it moist is preventing it from drying up and healing. But, it needs to be kept clean so it's like a rock and a hard place kind of thing. The ligament...are you keeping her stalled? There is a horse in our barn that did something to her ligament and has to be on stall rest for 6 weeks. I'm thinking, does your horse need that type of rest/confinement? If so, it might be easier to keep her leg clean thus not so much cold hosing but more careful drying with a hair dryer and then antibiotic ointment (oral too) as needed? What has the vet been saying lately?

Actually the cold hoseing will help it dry out ;). It's kinda like after I wash my hand they get all dry and chapped. To be really graphic...the pus and other discharges will keep it moist. I probly should have been clearer that it is good to walk them (or hold) for about 30min to let it be exposed to the air. Sorry, for the confusion.

I do love this stuff:

Equine Elite Wound Relief

It has worked really well for us here. Good stuff. You'd want the cream, not the spray for this injury.

I have a book on bowed tendons. (SIL bought an OTTB, who was supposedly on stall rest due to a bowed tendon. Turned out to be EPM instead!) I know Fable didn't bow... but maybe there are some helpful recovery tidbits in there?

It's called "The Bowed Tendon Book" by Tom Ivers... I sure wish I had something more helpful. Has the vet done any ultrasounds to monitor the tendon healing process?