Menu

science labs

Shawna in Texas

One of the things we're doing this year is introducing more labs. I'd like to do about 1-2 a month depending on how time consuming it is. Last week we extracted DNA and really all I needed to do was go buy a couple of test tubes and the whole thing from start to finish was than a half hour.

So, those of you that do labs, what do you do? Do you buy an all in one kit, follow a book and gather up materials as needed?

I googled some and found a diffusion and osmosis lab that seemed easy enough. I'd need to find agar and some petri dishes, but as I was reading, it was listing things that I wasn't sure I could get locally. I probably could, but I don't know where. Went on Carolina.com to see if the had the lab assembled, and they did, but for more than I wanted to pay. The teachers' store around the corner has a few cheapy type kit things, but is there a shop that sells these things? Like if I broke my beaker and needed to replace it? Something to hold the test tubes? If there is such a place, then I can just cobble stuff together and be fine. If not, where's the best place online to get lab supplies?

Science was never my thing and I'm ashamed to say that we've done next to no labs our school career. DD wants to go into a science field, though, and she really really enjoys it, so I've got to step up. Any help would be appreciated. :D

We're using the lab kits from LabPaq this year for high school biology, and it's awesome! This is my first year buying a lab kit all in one, and it's sooooo much easier. It was expensive, but totally worth it, since my dd is planning on pursuing a science career. The lab manual is on CD, and covers things like keeping a lab notebook and writing a formal lab report.

I haven't found anything comparable for the lower grades, but I'd love to! I'm still looking!