Menu

Shout out to manly men everywhere...

Oh yes. That is a mans job at my house too. I don't know how many times I have said to my husband or son "Will you please get that spider out of here ?." My son thinks it's pathetic that I get so bent out of shape if a spider is in the bathroom but he still gets the spider out. I should make that past tense. He doesn't live here anymore, but visits often.

edited to add:

I just realized that you said tarantula. Yikes. I might call an exterminator for that kind.

LOL.

That's my job too. Can't say I've ever had to remove a tarantula before. We have those in So Cal???

Bill

Yep. I've seen them elsewhere but they were kind of scraggly and unimpressive. This one was a very healthy looking specimen (gag), glossy expresso brown hair with a light cafe au lait marking on its abdomen (gag). It was making it's way along our back porch. The dog clued us in. The way he was barking, we thought it was a snake.

DH used a shovel to relocate it to a hill in our yard. He went back out to play with it. Later, we saw it marching back towards the house but not to the porch. DH decided to let it be since it clearly had a mission in mind. (gag)

Yep. I've seen them elsewhere but they were kind of scraggly and unimpressive. This one was a very healthy looking specimen (gag), glossy expresso brown hair with a light cafe au lait marking on its abdomen (gag). It was making it's way along our back porch. The dog clued us in. The way he was barking, we thought it was a snake.

I did not know that.

DH used a shovel to relocate it to a hill in our yard. He went back out to play with it. Later, we saw it marching back towards the house but not to the porch. DH decided to let it be since it clearly had a mission in mind. (gag)

I have heard that one they pick their victim, they never give up.

Bwoohaahaa!!! :lol:

Bill

Male tarantulas are looking for mates this time of year, it's not uncommon to see them walking around looking for love. Perhaps his obsession with your back porch means there's a female tarantula burrow under it?

Just think, you could have a whole nest of cute little baby tarantulas next spring..... :D

Jackie

Male tarantulas are looking for mates this time of year, it's not uncommon to see them walking around looking for love. Perhaps his obsession with your back porch means there's a female tarantula burrow under it?

Just think, you could have a whole nest of cute little baby tarantulas next spring..... :D

Jackie

Yuck! the for sale sign would be in my yard after that.

:cheers2: here's to manly men who take care of giant flying cockroaches (palmetto bugs).

Funny tarantula story -

Earlier this summer I was at my parents house in W. Texas. The tarantulas migrate or something out there and you can see hundreds of them crossing the roads in the afternoon. My mom commented that I should catch one for the kids to see - they'd get a kick out of it. I laughed and proceeded to crunch a few with the tires on the way home.

Later that day I was out with my sister. She was kind of in the dumps and thought it might distract her if we caught a tarantula. The kids would love it and it sounded like a good diversion. I pulled over on the side of the road, pulled an empty cooler out of the back and went over to this GIANT spider crossing the road. I found an empty soda can and was going to just flick it into the cooler. I managed to flick the @*(#& thing right onto my foot!!!! I dropped the cooler, ran away screaming like a banshee with my arms over my head in absolute hysterics. The *(**A$% thing was chasing me, I SWEAR IT!!!! When my sister finally stopped laughing she calmly walks up and the *(% thing went straight into the cooler.

We now have a dance in our family known as the "Tarantula Twist". Luckily, no one was driving down the road and saw me.

When it's big enough that you can see it marching back toward the house, it's time for a much further relocation!!! :svengo:

I'm thinking across state lines ... :tongue_smilie:

Yup. Dh's gets to take care of all spiders (no tarantulas but plenty of black widows), snakes, and especially half eaten birds and gophers, gifts from our two cats. Oh, and dead chickens after the neighborhood fox made her rounds; we don't discuss who forgot to shut up the chickens that night.

LOL! Daddy is the spider-wimp around here:) Now, I am a HUGE wimp about most everything else! And I have no desire to touch a disgusting spider.

Recently the kids found a big, gross looking spider, so we put it in a jar and brought it inside to identify it, cause we homeschool and that's what homeschoolers do (it was a black and yellow garden spider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argiope_aurantia). Well, Daddy was on his way here and I thought it might be really fun to "surprise" him (i.e. make-him-scream-like-a-girl) by telling him to close his eyes and hold out his hands so we could deposit the spider-jar in his outstretched arms. The kids thought this was a GREAT idea!!! After awhile though, I decided it was just too mean (see, aren't I nice??), so we had him close his eyes and we put the specimen jar on the table in front of him instead. The kids laughed like crazy people and he appeased them by purposely screaming like a girl:) Then he threatened that they had BETTER NOT take the top off that jar!!!!

When we were ready to let it go, DS4 wanted to 1)Fill the jar with water and drown the spider, 2)Throw gravel at it, 3)Convince the dog to eat it. Nice, huh? (it did get hit by one rock before I stopped him, but I think the spider survived)

But.... I will say that I'm very glad that we don't have tarantulas!!!:)

Jackie

:eek::svengo::ack2:

I would move. That, or die.