Menu

Need Geology sites/curriculum

Guest TheBugsMom

Guest TheBugsMom

Tell me your favorite Geology sites and curriculum I can use with a 8th grader. We are presently using the Space and Earth Science BJU text and would like to leave this book for something less textbooky.

Another thing I need are ideas on how to incorporate Geology into his Nature Journal. I am drawing a blank when it comes to this, probably because we are doing so many changes from the way we do school that my brain is fried.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

The current Jason Project from National Geographic is on geology, and the curriculum is free. There are lots of interactive online activities to go with it.

Some DVDs on Earth Science (most, if not all, are on Netflix):

How the Earth Was Made, Seasons 1 & 2

Earth: The Biography

How the Earth Changed History

National Geographic: Drain the Ocean

Inside Planet Earth

National Geographic: Volcano

Volcanos of the Deep Sea

Mysterious Life of Caves (NOVA)

NOVA: Magnetic Storm

NOVA: Lightning

NOVA: Hunt for the Supertwister

NOVA: Mystery of the Megavolcano

Geocaching is a fun way to add field trips, which you can incorporate into nature journaling. Not sure what state you're in, but the Roadside Geology books for individual states are an excellent resource for field trips & geocaching.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno
add more links

http://www.rockhoundingar.com/pebblepups/growcryst.html

I have more but they're held hostage by my busted laptop. :(

Here's another:

http://www.redundancydept.com/minerals.html

From my messing around w/ Google, it appears you'll get plenty of results by entering "rockhounding in _______" (enter the name of a state, province, etc.). Bureaus of Land Management might have some resources as well.

Edited by Annabel Lee

Guest TheBugsMom
The current Jason Project from National Geographic is on geology, and the curriculum is free. There are lots of interactive online activities to go with it.

Some DVDs on Earth Science (most, if not all, are on Netflix):

How the Earth Was Made, Seasons 1 & 2

Earth: The Biography

How the Earth Changed History

National Geographic: Drain the Ocean

Inside Planet Earth

National Geographic: Volcano

Volcanos of the Deep Sea

Mysterious Life of Caves (NOVA)

NOVA: Magnetic Storm

NOVA: Lightning

NOVA: Hunt for the Supertwister

NOVA: Mystery of the Megavolcano

Geocaching is a fun way to add field trips, which you can incorporate into nature journaling. Not sure what state you're in, but the Roadside Geology books for individual states are an excellent resource for field trips & geocaching.

Jackie

Ahhh...National Geographic, I totally forgot about them. Told you my brain was fried, I actually have this in my bookmarks because I did not want to forget about tit. Thanks for reminding me and thanks for the many DVD titles.

I did know about Geocaching and just 2 months ago went out on our first hunt. It was great, rain was pouring down but we had a mission to find a box. My 13 yr old tried to act too cool for this and grumbled all the way until we got to the box site, then he took over and yipped and yead at the find. But thanks for reminding me, I had used it with mapping studies and now will incorporate it with geology.

Edited by TheBugsMom

Guest TheBugsMom
http://www.rockhoundingar.com/pebblepups/growcryst.html

I have more but they're held hostage by my busted laptop. :(

Here's another:

http://www.redundancydept.com/minerals.html

From my messing around w/ Google, it appears you'll get plenty of results by entering "rockhounding in _______" (enter the name of a state, province, etc.). Bureaus of Land Management might have some resources as well.

These look good, thanks.

I never thought of the Bureaus of Land Management, this is why I asked, I knew the Hive would have some great ideas.

Guest TheBugsMom
Your local library probably has the Boy Scout merit badge book set, or can loan it in if they don't. There's a Geology one that would give you a great overview and project ideas.

Thanks. I will look into this.