Menu

IEW for reluctant writer, high functioning PDD

Guest momk2000

Guest momk2000

Dd was dx'd with PDD this past year. She is high functioning, creative, intelligent. We have done BJU English for the past couple of years. She enjoys/does very well with the grammar chapters, but when we get to the writing lessons it's a struggle to get her to even want to try (she seemed to enjoy the writing up until this past year). She has done well up until this point. She is in 4th and I am concerned that she may be starting to fall behind due to her reluctance. She will eventually complete a writing assignment, but does the bare minimum. Her writing is very short and to the point. She basically just does the assignment to get it done and out of the way. I realize she has issues d/t the PDD and I try hard to encourage and praise her without pushing. I would like a writing program that will gently ecourage her without being too pushy/rigorous.

I'm wondering if IEW might be a good fit for her. Does anyone else use this with PDD/Asperger's child? I want to try it, but hesitate d/t the cost. I can hardly afford to make anymore costly curriculum mistakes, yet for her sake I can't afford not to try. If I could find somethig that dd would enjoy, it would be a blessing. I know it's not always easy to make school "fun", but I feel like this is what she needs. She has a wild imagnation and a great sense of humor. She never comes out and says she dislikes writing, but she sort of shuts down when the writing lessons come out.

I would like any input about IEW or other curriculum anyone has had success with. :confused:

I use IEW with my Aspie DS. It is a perfect fit. It makes writing very concrete. You follow certain steps and you end up with a final product. Just what he needs! I highly recommend IEW.

You do not need to worry about wasting money trying it. If you purchase it from IEW, they have a 100% money back guarantee. There's no time limit on it, either, and items do not have to be returned in mint condition. I returned SWI-A to them with pages written on and some missing from the workbook with no problem. (I talked to them about that before returning it and they were fine with the condition.) They even refund shipping, so I was only out the $5 or so it cost me to mail it back to them via media mail.

(We use TWSS. My children did not care for the DVD instruction of SWI.)

I began using this for my daughter who is dyslexic/dysgraphic. I love it, and she feels so successful writing her paragraphs. I love how the child doesn't have to think about what to write, but can still practice composition. Once the child gets the idea of the program, he/she begins learning stylistic techniques, one at a time. I wish I would have started using this a long time ago. I, too, hesitated because of the cost, but it is well worth it!

Guest momk2000

Thank you so much for your replies. The money back guarantee sounds awesome, I just don't have the money to put out now. I think I will head over to e-bay and see what might be listed there. I will also take a look at Meaningful Composition. Thanks.