Menu

Math Mammoth pacing

Paige

How many pages or lessons of MM do you average a day? I counted up the lessons we have left (not pages) and we need to average just over 1 lesson a day to complete the year. I came up with .75 lessons a day, so we have some wiggle room but not much. Maybe my son is slow or maybe we'll speed up in later lessons now that he is used to the format, but we are nowhere near 1 lesson a day. We are averaging about 1 lesson every 2 days with an additional couple of days of reviews before the chapter test. We haven't been doing formal math on Fridays and instead it is our tests, games and elective day but I may need to put math on the Friday schedule now just to keep up. I'm just wondering what the norm is here. We really want to finish on time. We are moving next summer so I doubt there will be much school going on and I want him to be on target in case we decide to send him to school where we move.

I wouldn't push your son to go too fast. We are using MM with my first and with my third grader, my first grader is typically completing one lesson a day, as he already knows many of his math facts, but my third grader isn't doing so. I am mostly having him do all problems, though, instead of letting him only do a selection because he really need the review and practice. We are now behind on our schedule, but I'm not too worried about it. I figure we can make up some of the time during the measuring and telling time sections, which look quite easy. Overall, I'm more worried that he have a good and thorough grounding in math than that we stay on schedule, so we're just working at his pace.

I I figure we can make up some of the time during the measuring and telling time sections, which look quite easy.

I am hoping that we will pick up some time with those sections too! They do look easy and he has covered most of it already so maybe we will be doing 2 lessons a day sometimes.

Maria has a schedule here that shows how many pages/day and pages/week you need to do for each grade level to finish in a year. You don't mention what grade your son is in, but the range is from 1 page/day in 1st to 2 pages/day in 6th. Those figures do assume a 5-day week, though.

My DD does a full lesson (2-3 pages) per day of MM3; last year she did 2-4 pages/day of MM1 & 2. DS has done MM4, 5, and 6A (currently waiting for the release of 6B), and he usually does 1 lesson (2-3 pages) per day, although we will split a particularly difficult or long (4 page) lesson into 2 days. We spend about 45 minutes/day on math, 5 days/wk.

Jackie