Menu

What is your family's current audio book?

creekmom

Just finished Dancing Shoes, which we loved.

Halfway through Tale of Despereaux--which we like.

Next up, Mr. Poppers Penguins and The Trumpet of the Swan. I already have those from the library.

I have The Little Princess on reserve-- I've tried about 4 times to read it. dd really wants to hear it. We're going to try the audio version.

We listen in the car and we finished the 5 cd set of Dancing Shoes in 4-5?? days. So, we can really go through the audio books.

Edited by snickelfritz

We just finished These Happy Golden Years and will move on to The First Four Years to finish up the Laura Ingalls series.

I'm so glad to have some new ideas, as we'll be sad to come to the end of this one.

I must say though, that listening to Little House on the Prairie on audio book was difficult, as I was unable to edit on the fly (re: Ma's attitudes towards Native Americans). We had to stop and discuss frequently.

A few of Pa's songs have offensive lyrics, but we always turn down the music anyway, so it wasn't as much of a problem.

DD's main audio book currently is The Lion The Witch and The Wordrobe (listens to it in the car and 20 min. at bedtime.) Frog and Toad series will be in her workboxes this coming week. The Tale of Despereaux is next.

We're listening to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe too. We also listen to James Herriots Treasury for Children a lot. Usually I put on one of those stories at bedtime to listen too.

I think I'll try and find Peter Pan at the library. That would be fun to listen to.

We're listening to the second installment of the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. We've already done The Book of Three so now it's The Black Cauldron. Kids are loving this series. We listening to these in the van.

At home, it's either SOTW or one of the installments from the FMO... series off of Librivox.

Last year we did the Chronicles of Narnia, then over the summer all the Roald Dahl books. We just finished James Herriot's Treasury for Children and The Borrowers, now we're starting Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone. The kids want to listen to all the HP books, so that might take a while.

We are starting Beowulf this week with Seamus Heaney doing the reading.

I just finished reading the Heaney Beowulf aloud to my kids -- I wish Seamus had been reading instead, as I mangled some of the pronunciations! What a good choice for an audio book!

ETA: We are currently listening to Wulf the Saxon, by Henry, read by Jim Weiss.

The family just finished-The Mystery of the Third Lucretia and we just started listening to- Night of the Twister.

Ds10 is listening on his own to-Masterpiece and then he will be listening to Rescuing Seneca Crane.

This is a great reminder that I need to get on the ball and order some more audibooks from the library--the ones we have will not last long!

Just finished Dancing Shoes, which we loved.

Halfway through Tale of Despereaux--which we like.

Next up, Mr. Poppers Penguins and The Trumpet of the Swan. I already have those from the library.

I have The Little Princess on reserve-- I've tried about 4 times to read it. dd really wants to hear it. We're going to try the audio version.

We listen in the car and we finished the 5 cd set of Dancing Shoes in 4-5?? days. So, we can really go through the audio books.

We loved listening to The Trumpet of the Swan; it's a very good read aloud. It was great having it read by E.B. White. The only thing that would have made it better is if-whenever Louis played the trumpet- they would have included that in the audio as well.

Alice in Wonderland and Swiss Family Robinson are both in progress. (I should probably remember to burn the next chapters of each tonight. :tongue_smilie:)

We will be adding Treasure Island this week. My dd is supposed to be reading it for a co-op class. It's sort of not her cuppa tea, so I'll let her listen instead.

We loved listening to The Trumpet of the Swan; it's a very good read aloud. It was great having it read by E.B. White. The only thing that would have made it better is if-whenever Louis played the trumpet- they would have included that in the audio as well.

Oh yes! We've loved listening to his books - he's a great narrator.

We're halfway through These Happy Golden Years. I need to find something new and quick. We've been enjoying the Little House books all summer and we're kind of sad that they're coming to an end.

An audiobook that my kids really enjoyed is The City Under the Back Steps.

On the Chinaberry site you can listen to a portion of it. My kids were/are about the same age as yours when we listened to it.

Oooh, what a fun thread!

We have E. Nesbit's The Enchanted Castle in the car right now, and we love it so much that The Railway Children is on deck.

At home, we're all listening to Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, and then the girls have a few rotating at bedtime. My 4-year-old always chooses either Frances or Frog and Toad, but she's been listening more and more to Jim Weiss' Just So Stories lately, and that's my 6-year-old's preference.

I just got done writing all these ideas down! We just finished Bud, Not Buddy. I wasn't so sure about it at first, but it ended up being a good story. The kids liked it a lot. We just started Anne of Green Gables. The kids also want to listen to The Secret Garden (which will probably be after that). I would have to say our all time favorite so far was The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Wrede).

This past summer we listened to Pollyanna, Paddington Bear, The Railway Children and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... those are the ones I can remember anyway...

Anne of Green Gables, the free iTunes U version. In the last fortnight I've listened to (but not the kids, for no particular reason) The War of the Worlds, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and currently Mysterious Island, all from iTunes U.

(I have to say that I'm having a minor problem with iTunes U - episodes don't seem to be in the correct order which is an issue in a book! ...But am getting around it by converting everything to "music" so it appears as an album. Then all is well and tracks are appropriately ordered.)

Min

We are starting Beowulf this week with Seamus Heaney doing the reading.

We did this last year. LOVE it.

We are currently listening to Dragon Rider, read by Brendan Fraser. Awesome. And Brendan Fraser is such a hottie. Listening to him reminds me of his good 'ole George of the Jungle days. Aaaaahhh...