Menu

How is this for a family reunion notice?

family gathering at Uncle Bill's house.

on September 26th that is a Sunday around noon from to when ever Indian time be sure to bring a dish to pass your own drinks and please no alcohol or drugs - this is a drug free gathering.

I got this from my mother in law today. Does anyone else A: run on "Indian time" or B: need to mention the fact that you should not bring drugs along?

Indian time means they never start on time but that is just a general guideline of sorts (very liberal guideline). I bet if we showed up at 2pm they would be just about getting ready to eat.

The alcohol thing is interesting as well as the uncle has a "beer fridge" in the barn that is ALWAYS VERY FULLY STOCKED and many of the relatives are not ever seen without one in their hand.

The no drugs is a new policy for this year I guess:001_huh:

My husband's family is Native American and many of them don't hold to the same values we do. A few do but sadly most do not. We will go for a while but not stay very late.

At least your family has a great name for being fashionably late! My mom's family (predominantly Irish) says noon, but we all know full well it means no sooner than 2:30. And they don't call it anything. They just say, "Well, you're early! Here, start chopping."

Regarding the drugs and alcohol - I wish they'd do that! But, sadly, no one but us and a stray cousin or two would go. Seriously. Good for your family - if this is an issue (I'm thinking recovering alcoholic in attendance) I think it's supportive and a way to include everyone in great fun.

The alcohol thing is interesting as well as the uncle has a "beer fridge" in the barn that is ALWAYS VERY FULLY STOCKED and many of the relatives are not ever seen without one in their hand.

The no drugs is a new policy for this year I guess:001_huh:

I would think there might be some changes you may not be aware of, and this is therefore your notification, in a nutshell. Now you know. I don't know that there is a Miss Manners line for no alcohol/no drugs. However I think Miss Manners might have a word or two to say about refraining from commenting on such changes at said event.

;) Keep it a happy affair, have fun, and show up knowing not to show up on time.

Regarding the drugs and alcohol - I wish they'd do that! But, sadly, no one but us and a stray cousin or two would go. Seriously. Good for your family - if this is an issue (I'm thinking recovering alcoholic in attendance) I think it's supportive and a way to include everyone in great fun.

:iagree:

In regards to the Indian time...we have Pakistani time which means "come at least an hour later than I'm telling you."

Lesley

I have put something like "vegetarian food and non-alcoholic beverages will be available" on party invites in the past. For some guests, it helps. I'm guessing someone in your family is in a fragile state with their sobriety and the gathering organizer(s) wants to let everyone know so they can be sensitive to it. That's nice of them. I hope it is a fun event! Perhaps you can bring along a game or some other kind of sober-living activity to keep things lively and interesting without the alcohol/drugs.

I have put something like "vegetarian food and non-alcoholic beverages will be available" on party invites in the past. For some guests, it helps. I'm guessing someone in your family is in a fragile state with their sobriety and the gathering organizer(s) wants to let everyone know so they can be sensitive to it. That's nice of them. I hope it is a fun event! Perhaps you can bring along a game or some other kind of sober-living activity to keep things lively and interesting without the alcohol/drugs.

I took it to mean last year's reunion got out of hand and they were attempting to nip it in the bud this year. :tongue_smilie:

Ottakee, I hope you are able to make the most of the reunion and enjoy yourself for how ever long you are comfortable being there what ever the reason for the new policies.

hee hee, yes, my dad's family runs on "Indian Time" and the drugs... well, no... not a problem here. Although we were brought up with stern warnings of a different kind at family gatherins. We were told that if we venture in the bush to leave the traps alone. What if we didn't see the traps, you ask? Ah, well, we should see them when we set them off. :001_huh: And if we see an animal in a trap? Don't name him. He's tomorrow's lunch. Each family has their own thang.

family gathering at Uncle Bill's house.

on September 26th that is a Sunday around noon from to when ever Indian time be sure to bring a dish to pass your own drinks and please no alcohol or drugs - this is a drug free gathering.

I got this from my mother in law today. Does anyone else A: run on "Indian time"

My ex's family, from the Panjab, sure ran on Indian time. Late, late, late. Sometimes so late, people would stop along the way to eat (and this when being invited to dinner).

LOL sounds like some of my family.

Indian time....check

Bring a dish....check (usually something precooked from a store)

Drinks...check (my sibs often show up with a 'soda' from the store, but we all know it actually has hooch in it and very little soda LOL)

Drugs....well, several members usually disappear for half and hour or so and come back really happy, but no one comments on it.....were just glad they stopped being a jerk and are not more pleasant to be around.

LOL

Hmmmmmm wonder why I don't go home but once every few years. lol It is pretty pathetic when you see people doing the same things at 52, that they did at 22.