Menu

Help with struggling reader

BusyMommy

There are so many different methods that can help a struggling reader, but you won't know which one is right for your dc unless he is tested for learning disabilities. It does not mean that he has a learning disability, but this type of test will steer you in the right direction.

My 9 year old went from barely reading to reading chapter books within two weeks, once we figured out his issues.

Spell to Write and Read does not have the childish feel to it that you are concerned about. Dd was not technically behind but when we used it her reading skills increased almost 4 grades in less than 6 months. It is not easy to find on-line but if you search for it use the publisher name of BHI (Back Home Industries). Admittedly it can be hard to learn as a teacher but perhaps you would be willing to put in the time to move past his challenges.

HTH

He doesn't have any learning disabilities, I already had him tested. When he was younger I found out he had some eye/vision issues. It took about a year to get that fixed and he began to improve initially, but 2 years later he still hasn't caught up. Sometimes it seems he is being lazy about his attempts at reading, but I don't know.

I would second the Spell to Write and Read suggestion. There is a bit of a learning curve initially for you the teacher, but there is nothing about it that an older child would find to childish.

There is a wonderful yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpellToWriteAndRead/ that is so helpful. They can answer your questions & provide a lot of support. The yahoo site has a lot of very helpful information in the "files" section for beginners as well as those using the program with older children.

Hope this is helpful.

I STRONGLY suggest Rewards by Sopris West. My dd has the same problems, and I figured out that it's mostly phonics related. At ps they were taught sight words, so she stumbles on many words and makes up others. I was having the hardest time trying to find a remedial reading program that wasn't geared for littles, but the Rewards program isn't childish and doesn't make dd feel "stupid".

http://store.cambiumlearning.com/ProgramPage.aspx?parentId=019005266&functionID=009000008&pID=REWARDS&site=sw

We've only been using it a short time, but I am already seeing improvements.