Menu

Fine! I won't buy a rice cooker. grrrrr! Can you answer a couple of Qs?

I tried to learn to cook rice, really. I couldn't master it and finally bought a rice cooker. We were happy together for many years. . . until it died.

I tried to learn to cook rice again, really. I tried! I decided to buy a new rice cooker.

I don't ask for much.

I'd like a rice cooker that doesn't have a plastic, aluminum, or teflon-coated bowl or pot. I'd like it to cost less than $100. When I first started looking I would have laughed at that $100 figure. I'd also like to one that gets pretty consistently good reviews. The higher the dollar figure, the more consistent I want those good reviews.

I got a rec here for one that has a stainless pot but it's about $80 plus shipping. For that much money I would like for it to get good reviews across the board but it doesn't really.

So, I am going to master this rice problem. I am going to do it.

I feel like I should start a blog to track my progress and so ppl can follow the shenanigans of those wiley rice grains and then become famous when they make it into a movie.

I have lots of cast iron but not a good rice pot size that has a tight fitting lid. I have two large stainless pots with lids but I wouldn't call them tight-fitting.

How tight-fitting is tight-fitting? Really, on my big stainless pots, they just sit on top they don't . . . snug down. On my cast iron, it's about the same but the one I have that has an actual dedicated lid has a *very* heavy lid that might count as tight-fitting only b/c of the weight. I have another cast iron that's a good size but -- stupid design -- the lid is also a skillet and I use the skillet and don't like to steam it like that. Would it hurt it if I did? That pot and skillet/lid is the least well seasoned of all my cast iron. Of all my cast iron, it's the most sensible size for rice. The other one is the dutch oven with legs. I use it on the stove in the winter sometimes (gas) but it's usually used for camping and fireplace cooking. It's really large and heavy.

I also wouldn't mind buying a new pot/sauce pan b/c I dont' have one just the right size and I've often needed one. If I got one, cast iron or stainless for rice and is the just sits there lid tight enough? I'd prefer cast iron but I really want good rice.

:bigear:

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

I only buy long grain rice. I use twice the amount of water to rice. I use a very cheapo stainless steel 3Q pot with a lid.

Basically add rice to cold water and bring to a boil (but only just).

Then turn down the heat to the lowest setting, cover pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and DO NOT OPEN for 15 minutes.

Done.

If you want to ensure easy cleanup of the pot after, you can always add a dollop of coconut oil to the rice. It doesn't add any flavor but makes clean up easy.

Good luck.

The pot lid should sit nicely on the pot and not leave large gaps. It shouldn't "snug" down. The lid should be able to lift freely to let built up steam escape, but not have gaps that would allow the steam to constantly escape.

My mom's recipe for cooking rice on the stove is this: Throw a bunch of rice in a pot. Add water until, measuring with your finger (place fingertip on top of rice so that your finger is pointing straight down), the water reaches your first knuckle. Heat to boiling (with or without cover), then cover (if needed) and reduce heat to simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Let sit for about 5-10 mins so the steam can finish cooking the rice.

I cheat and use a rice cooker. :D But I find that I have to add more water than the directions call for regardless of whether I'm using the cooker or the stovetop or whether it's brown or white rice.

Good luck!

Cinder

ETA: Mom's recipe is for white rice only

Edited by Cinder

I think your stainless steel pots will work fine. You don't need an airtight seal or anything.

What KIND of rice are you trying to cook, and what problems are you experiencing? There are a number of things you could try, but without knowing what type of rice you want to cook and in what way your results are unsatisfactory, it's hard to know what to suggest.

My foolproof method:

I use a revereware stainless steel pot with copper bottom. To make the lid fit tightly, I put a sheet of foil over the top of the pot and then push the lid down on it. That seals the lid.

Melt one tablespoon of butter in the pot while measuring two cups of rice in one measuring cup and four cups of water in another measuring cup.

Once the butter has melted, pour in the dry rice and stir until all the grains are coated with butter.

Pour in the water and turn the heat up to high until the water is boiling.

Place a sheet of foil on the pot (foil doesn't actually touch the rice at all), then push the lid down on it to seal. Turn the heat down to low and set the timer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off the heat, but leave the pot there for another 10 minutes before taking the lid off.

Enjoy.

edited to add: I only use basmati rice.

Not sure if this is the kind of info you're looking for, but I can tell you my method for making rice. I think it turns out fabulous, but I'm not bragging - I take no credit because a friend taught me this method. It's delicious! I always use basmati or jasmine rice, but I'm sure it would work with any type.

First rinse the rice. My friend said this is to remove some of the small, loose particles of starch on the surface that will cause sticking. Seems to work.

Heat your saucepan and melt a Tbsp or so of butter in it. (friend recommended ghee, but I use butter and it works just fine.). Add the rice, and stir and cook it for a few minutes until it just starts to smell toasty (my dd says it smells like popcorn).

Add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer just like usual.

I only buy long grain rice. I use twice the amount of water to rice. I use a very cheapo stainless steel 3Q pot with a lid.

Basically add rice to cold water and bring to a boil (but only just).

Then turn down the heat to the lowest setting, cover pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and DO NOT OPEN for 15 minutes.

Done.

If you want to ensure easy cleanup of the pot after, you can always add a dollop of coconut oil to the rice. It doesn't add any flavor but makes clean up easy.

Good luck.

That is pretty much what I do. I have never owned a rice cooker. I see it being vital if you consume mass amounts of rice daily -- as in Asian cultures. But if only eat rice every now and then... it is easier to cook it stovetop in a cheap-o pot w/ lid IMO. :confused:

My foolproof method:

I use a revereware stainless steel pot with copper bottom.

edited to add: I only use basmati rice.

:lol::lol::lol:

I use my 20+ yr old Revereware pot and lid too!!! Too funny. I like using Jasmine rice, personally. Don't do the foil trick, tho'. But the rice comes out great! I use the same pot to cook up sushi rice and the sticky (not mushy) texture is authentic too.

Edited by tex-mex

Never had a problem until we got gas stove, now I'm having to play some. We buy long grain rice. We add water to pan equal to double the amount of raw rice we're going to use and add another 1/4 cup. We've found that keeps it from sticking to bottom. We boil the water first and add a little salt then add the rice, let it sit for about 30 seconds and then stir it. I don't know why but this also keeps it from sticking to the bottom. Then turn down the heat to low and simmer for 30 mins. We've found if we do it for 15 mins the rice still has raw spots and we like our rice kind of soft and sticky.

I use the revereware stainless steel pot with copper bottom.

Just water & salt like one of the above posters. No foil. No butter. Boil well & close the lid & cook on low. We use Basmati, Long Grain or Brown rice.

The copper bootom really helps!

Or you can use a pressure cooker. I have an Aluminium pressure cooker. So I use a smaller diameter stell vessel to cook the rice.

Well, I just don't boil mine. I bake it in the oven in a covered casserole. Same proportions of water/rice (we use brown rice) and a pat of butter. 350 for an hour. Comes out perfect every time and doesn't stick to the bowl. Grains are separate not clumpy and it's so easy-- no pot watching!

Give it a try!

astrid