Menu

Chronological, Multi-level History ??

Guest ME-Mommy

Guest ME-Mommy

We are considering changing our History...

Can you list chronological, multi-level history programs -- preferably Christian in nature? (and it would be nice if Literature and Geography were "tied in")

I am teaching an 11 year old and a 14 year old...

Thanks!

Are you looking for a one year or multiple year program?

Mystery of History might fit the bill . . . you could look at their website for ideas to beef it up for high school level. I only have Volume 1 but there are lit suggestions in the volume and additional ideas at the yahoo group . . .

Notgrass might be another choice . . . they have a one year world and one year US history program which are high school level but you could adapt it for your younger student and have him read different lit books which would be more on his level . . .

Adrianne in IL

Edited by jelbe5

Guest ME-Mommy
Are you looking for a one year or multiple year program?

Well, my daughter is a freshman and needs at least 1 US History, 1/2 American Gov't and 1 Social Studies credit for graduation.

I guess I'd like to find something and stick with it -- instead of changing programs from year to year.

Mystery of History might fit the bill . . . you could look at their website for ideas to beef it up for high school level. I only have Volume 1 but there are lit suggestions in the volume and additional ideas at the yahoo group . . .

Notgrass might be another choice . . . they have a one year world and one year US history program which are high school level but you could adapt it for your younger student and have him read different lit books which would be more on his level . . .

Adrianne in IL

I've looked at MOH and it just isn't me...I bought it and sold it. ;)

Notgrass looks promising...do you know if there is a recommended sequence to their HS level programs?? I couldn't find that info on their website...

Thanks!!

Guest ME-Mommy
Notgrass looks promising...do you know if there is a recommended sequence to their HS level programs?? I couldn't find that info on their website...

Thanks!!

Found the answer to this question -- just had to dig a little deeper. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

Amy

Guest ME-Mommy

Been on the computer researching most of the afternoon...

Right now I'm somewhere between History Odyssey and Notgrass. I'm leaning more toward History Odyssey just because they have Levels for both kids...

I really do like the looks of Notgrass...

UGH -- why does this have to be so hard?? :001_huh:

I do like Notgrass . . . we are doing world this year and plan to do Us next year. I picked up the government set used and plan to use that after US history (.5 credit class) and they recently added a .5 credit Econ course.

Hope you find the right program. Let us know!

Tapestry of Grace for world history.

All American History--it's really a middle school program, but I think it would be fine for maybe 9th grade. It has suggestions in the TE for uplifts for high school as well as resources for lower grades than the 7th-8th grade that it's really written for. You could maybe beef it up with the Critical Thinking in US History books.

American history has never been as strong in our family as world history. Some good resources for 5-6th grade are either "The Story of US" (very secular) or those older books, "The Story of the 13 Colonies" and "The Story of the Great Republic" (secular in the old-fashioned semi-civic-Christian way).

All American History--it's really a middle school program, but I think it would be fine for maybe 9th grade. It has suggestions in the TE for uplifts for high school as well as resources for lower grades than the 7th-8th grade that it's really written for. You could maybe beef it up with the Critical Thinking in US History books.

Just FYI, for those keeping an eye to the future. The Illuminations project that is now being written for MOH (includes literature, LA, writing, a detailed daily schedule, ect...) will eventually extend to All American History. I think next year they will do volume 1 and I think Illuminations has three levels, early elementary, upper elementary/middle school and high school.

Heather