Menu

20th century history -- Why does everyone hate this?

Rebecca in VA

I've seen many threads about people refusing to do 20th century history with their children. Often these are the same people who enthusiastically study ancient history. I've always been mystified by that, and today (as I'm reading through "Story of the Romans" with my 5th grader) I realized I just had to discuss it with the Hive.

As our class has gone through ancient history this year, we've read story after story about beheadings, the slaughter of *many* thousands of people in a single battle (for example, the Battle of Thermopolae, and there are lots of other examples), seiges of cities and the enslavement of entire populations (very common), and so on. There's blood, gore, slavery, starvation, and disfigurement everywhere. I'm surprised anyone was left alive. And the lack of morals -- my goodness! It's hard for me to find documentaries about ancient history that I can show to my class that don't have naked people in them, or mention of concubines, r*pe, inc*st, etc.

Ick. I'm not saying the 20th century was perfect by any means (we've studied it before, and I lived through almost half of it), but there were exciting, noble things going on as well. You don't *have* to dwell on the negatives (though of course you have to mention them).

Someone, please tell me: Why are many homeschoolers fixated on ancient history? Were people so wonderful back in those crude, cruel days? Are things really so bad now that we'd want to go back to ancient times, even in our imagination?

I disagree that it is a waste of time to delve into it too deeply. For instance, we are studying modern Asia in history. There is no way to really understand our relationship with China, the state of their economy vs. ours, and even the current events in Tibet, unless you have studied WWII, Chiang Kai Shek, Mao, his Great Leap Forward, and Tianamen Square. I am trying to teach my kids more modern history than ancient because I see the "aha" light going off more often when I teach them modern because it is so much more pertinent to the world that they know. From there, I hope they will develop a love and respect for history in general so that they will want to dig deeper into the ancients, middle ages, etc.

Personally, I prefer the ancients. There is something so safe and removed about their troubles. But I want my kids to understand the modern world as well.

We actually studied 20th century American history this year, and it has been fascinating. Because it is so recent, I feel it's even more important. We are in the civil rights movement right now. It's amazing to our daughter that just before I was born these things were occurring, or that people were put in "concentration camps" here in America in her grandparents' lifetime. WWI, the depression, WWII are events that have greatly shaped our culture. I feel that they've had a more direct impact than the far past.

We actually jumped ahead and let her watch "Beyond the Gates" which is about Rwanda in 1994. We are always discussing current events. Just this morning she and I discussed the raid on the FLDS compound in Texas and the court hearings that will happen today.

I believe that as a whole all of history is extremely important. If only you could cover more in a short time! We go back to ancient next year and I can't wait for that either, but we will also discuss the current events.

Amy of GA

11yo dd

4 yo ds

DS is WAY more interested in modern history (read: modern wars, particularly those involving machine guns, tanks, missiles) than ancient, middle ages or early modern. We've spent tons of time on WW2, and covered most other modern wars also.

I cover ancients so DS has familiarity with those times, but I don't think the majority of what is covered in ancients has any bearing on current times, other than being interesting to learn about. I have never understood the hesitancy of so many homeschoolers to study modern times, yet spend years on ancients.

Michelle T

We haven't gotten that far yet and I am scared about teaching it.

It is one thing to teach about the Greek and Turks and Romans and constantly shifting territory and mythology that happened hundreds of years ago.

It is something different to talk about Nazi Germany knowing that my child's great-grandma thought Hitler was doing the right thing. To teach about Civil Rights when my Dad marched for them. It is just a little unreal and so close and so scary.

The bad stuff that happened 1000, 500 or even 100 years ago is just not so fresh--we don't know anyone who lived it. With stuff that happened in this century--we know people who lived it. Our neighbor stormed the beaches of Normandy and brought home onion sets that he has used year after year until his death two years ago. He called them French Onions--I found them in a catalog and they are called tree onions.

I guess I can do it but I am not looking forward to it. The follies of my parent's generation, the fear of growing up afraid that they might drop the bomb while I am sleeping, Ryan White (who went to school with a friend of mine) and the aids epidemic. I know I don't want to cover modern day happenings in Africa--I can't even watch anything on that without having nightmares.

Modern history is scary--it is too close. Scary things are out there and they are happening right now.

I'm glad some people enjoy it.:001_smile:

I would think that modern history is extremely important. The holocaust should be studied in order to keep that from happening again. We need to know the events that took place leading up to it so that we can identify it happening and stop it. I mean keep it from happening on our own soil. We as Americans are losing our rights everyday just as they did in Germany and we sit idly by and do nothing, just as they did in Germany. Another question to discuss would be why we sit and let the genocide that is happening in Darfur continue but we put a stop to it in Germany. I think that by looking at current politics of our country and the politics during WW2 we can maybe see what is keeping us from going to Darfur now. Anyway. I think there is a lot to be gained by the study of Modern history. My oldest is only 4 though, so it will be a while before we study it.

Oh and while we still have holocaust survivors living we should be taking advantage of hearing them speak from first hand experience. I've heard about 6 or 7 speak. You never forget it when you listen to someone tell you they spent their 16th birthday dragging dead bodies to be burned and that the bodies were so rotten that sometimes the arms would fall off while they were dragging them. When you are right there with the person as they tell the story it really impacts you, more than any book or movie could. You really see their pain.

We've just started it this last quarter of school, and my 13 yos asked me, "mom, why didn't you tell me?" when he learned about the atrocities of WWI--and we haven't begun WWII yet. I'm absolutely NOT going to let him watch the World at War videos about the death camps--I remember seeing a movie in Germany in 1974 that was just released--graphic footage that left our group of university students (German and American) gasping...as I recall, everyone's father had been in the army--they had all been "on the Western Front." Maybe the horror is too close--the boys were talking about 9/11 yesterday and how vivid it seemed, so I told them I have the same sort of vivid memories of the day Kennedy was shot...I had just turned 11.

Totally agree with Lady A. I have no qualms about teaching modern history.

20+ years ago in school I spent a great deal of time studying about the holocaust, it helped me develop compassion on a level I had never understood before.

I was ashamed to say that I was in high school before I knew the Vietnam war went on in my lifetime!! We never studied it until then.

Just today my ds 10 and I had a very in depth discussion on racism. He was hesistant to discuss it at first, but it turned into a wonderful teaching moment.

I agree some of the moments are raw, but they should be discussed and studied. It helps me to examine myself as well.

And lastly, we can't know where our future is heading by studying recent history because of... well, precisely because of what I just described in the paragraph above.

I don't think it's so much a case of people not LIKING 20th century history. Rather, I would guess that people think it's a waste of time to delve into it too deeply. It's like reading an unfinished novel.

I cover ancients so DS has familiarity with those times, but I don't think the majority of what is covered in ancients has any bearing on current times, other than being interesting to learn about. I have never understood the hesitancy of so many homeschoolers to study modern times, yet spend years on ancients.

Michelle T

I disagree. I think it's like reading the ending of the story that began with Ancient Rome, or at least being "brought up to date" from the events that happened at that time. A study of the ancient City of Rome and its leaders, its beliefs, and what they had to do with the crucifixion of Jesus and early Christianity will ultimately lead to understanding what's going on in the world TODAY. This applies to politics, religion, economics, psychology.... everything. Ancient history prior to 300 B.C. is important and should eventually be studied as well, particularly if the Old Testament and history of the Jews is not neglected. But I think that Rome makes an excellent starting point to get to modern times a little quicker. My oldest dd has read SOTW 4, and she and I both are anxious to get into a deeper study of modern history. And I suspect that my 2nd dd will actually *enjoy* history more once it becomes more "relevant" to her, especially since Grandma (age 82) will soon be living close by and being more involved in our lives. She's a wealth of information about modern history!

And since we're on the subject, Richard Maybury ("Uncle Eric") has a great book that gives a little insight to this as well. I don't agree with him 100% on everything because he seems to neglect how religion plays a role in these things, but it's a good overview of America's likeness to Ancient Rome, and many of the wars and economic problems both in between and present day. The majority of what is covered in ancients absolutely DOES have a bearing on current times.

http://www.bluestockingpress.com/ancient_rome_how_affects_today.htm

That said, I don't think we need to spend YEARS on ancient times... but having at least a little understanding of it (especially if in light of biblical history) is important in order to understand the why's and wherefore's of modern times.

wow.

I'm fairly new to this board and I had no idea.

I love learning about modern history.

I agree with several pp that it's just a continuation of the book.

In fact, I think an important reason for studying history in general is to know why we do things the way we do it or don't do it NOW.

Modern history is a great lesson about that need to apply history to real living people and our lives today.

As for protecting them from unpleasant aspects...

I've never agreed with that to begin with.

It comes off as a hishonest representation of history and life in general to me.

We just deal with it honestly and openly. Why is that wrong? Why was that neccessary? What other option were there?

Last night we were watching the debate on tv.

One of my boys asked why we couldn't just leave and stop fighting them.

I asked him if he thought the other side would stop fighting if we did.

hmm. They should.

But what if they don't?

What if they keep trying to kill americans?

Can we just give up?

See leaving Iraq isn't as simple an idea as it appears!

We had a great discussion about war strategy, different cultures, geography, leadership decision making, and politics.

We've just started it this last quarter of school, and my 13 yos asked me, "mom, why didn't you tell me?" when he learned about the atrocities of WWI--and we haven't begun WWII yet. I'm absolutely NOT going to let him watch the World at War videos about the death camps--I remember seeing a movie in Germany in 1974 that was just released--graphic footage that left our group of university students (German and American) gasping...as I recall, everyone's father had been in the army--they had all been "on the Western Front." Maybe the horror is too close--the boys were talking about 9/11 yesterday and how vivid it seemed, so I told them I have the same sort of vivid memories of the day Kennedy was shot...I had just turned 11.

It's interesting how we are all so different. I'm the opposite, I do show mine the horrors of the past and present; I don't try to white-wash it. I would rather mine see a war camp movie that Terminator 2, for example. I want them to know and understand the good and the bad.

My homeschool mom friends all pretty much agree we didnt' learn much after the reconstruction periods in our public schools. We range in age from 40 - 50. We almost never studied anything but American History, and always ran out of time at the end of the school year.

I am enjoying this time period because I am learning so much along with my ds. Honestly, I never knew WWII was caused by the ending of WWI!

What went on in the last 100 years is so very connected to our current world, and how our countries relate to each other, and to the conveniences we take for granted, so I think it's a rather exciting time period to study.

Joyce:001_smile:

I can't imagine skipping the 20th century. How can we raise responsible, thinking, intellegent, voting citizens if they have no idea or appreciation of the various issues around the world, countries relationships and how we got to where we are. I personally find it much more interesting as well but even if I didn't, I definately think it's not only NOT a waste of time - it's essential.

My homeschool mom friends all pretty much agree we didnt' learn much after the reconstruction periods in our public schools. We range in age from 40 - 50. We almost never studied anything but American History, and always ran out of time at the end of the school year.

I am enjoying this time period because I am learning so much along with my ds. Honestly, I never knew WWII was caused by the ending of WWI!

What went on in the last 100 years is so very connected to our current world, and how our countries relate to each other, and to the conveniences we take for granted, so I think it's a rather exciting time period to study.

Joyce:001_smile:

Until studying it this year with DS, I knew absolutely nothing about the Vietnam War, even though it occurred during my lifetime. I also knew nothing about the Korean War, although my father had fought in it. Embarrassing, actually. In school, all we ever covered was endless rounds of Columbus, Pilgrims, Indians, colonial days, Civil War.

Michelle T

I know what you mean... I was 10 years old and sitting at dinner with my family and mentioned how proud I was that "the United States had never lost a war". My dad (never one to mince words), looked at me slightly confused and said, "We sure as hell didn't win the Vietnam war." He was a Vietnam vet, and career military. I was so embarrassed-- I could hardly believe that they had never even mentioned THAT little gem in school, and the war had ended just in the past few years at the time. We just never ever got "that far" in our class work--more pilgrims, more Indians, more Lincoln, ya know?

I personally think that it is because most teachers are women. Women tend to like the social and daily life parts of history. Many women I know think that modern History is a bunch of wars that they would rather not think about, most of the same people skip or lightly touch on other wars from different time periods as well.

And Loving It. I too never knew America lost a war, I was in grade school when Vietnam ended, never remember hearing much about it. We have truly enjoyed learning about the recent history events, We are getting ready to study 9/11 And Lydia (11) is excited about this, cause she remembers seeing this on TV and us talking about it, and how it ties to the War in Iraq today.

I don't remember learning much about WW1 or 2 in School??? ANd We Found it extremely interesting this year, we didn't dive much into the Holocaust , but did mention it lightly, knowing we would cover it more in HIghschool.

Great Thread

kim

Ancient history has the buffer of time to protect us from the horrors. It all seems like so much fable. It's not like being able to remember the news reports when MLK was assassinated, or JFK, or RFK, all in the span of just a few years. It's not like remembering what it was like to do bomb drills, pass fall-out shelters, store supplies just in case, listen for air raid sirens, or live through the Cuban missile crisis, when the whole world feared it was about to end - forever. Modern history is too close and too real.

That said, I am finally, fully covering it for the first time ever with my younger son this year. And I am fascinated by the things I've learned. I understand so much more about our modern world now, I think. It has really changed my view of the world today. I'm glad I finally decided to do it. But it IS really close to remember the civil rights protests, Vietnam, etc. I cry almost every day as I read these things.....

Ancient history has the buffer of time to protect us from the horrors. It all seems like so much fable. It's not like being able to remember the news reports when MLK was assassinated, or JFK, or RFK, all in the span of just a few years. It's not like remembering what it was like to do bomb drills, pass fall-out shelters, store supplies just in case, listen for air raid sirens, or live through the Cuban missile crisis, when the whole world feared it was about to end - forever. Modern history is too close and too real.

:iagree: We'll be doing the 20th century in a couple of years and I know it will be hard on my parents, especially my dad. I can't imagine studying this period without having my parents recount their experiences, but those experiences were pretty wrenching. On the plus side, I won't have to debunk the "history" the kids learn at school the way my dad had to with my sister and I.

We are completing the four-year cycle with ds this year (my poor dd is having to jump in at the end) and it has been difficult teaching modern history. I have observed that, for the most part, the entire focus of most curricula is on the political situation. When we studied previous eras we learned about art, music, inventions, literature, and the creative advances made by the societies of those times. I have also noticed that books tend to rush through the "good times" like the 1920's and the 1950's to get into the more historically significant wars, political upheavals and economic crises of the century. It has been a worthwhile study, and ds has had some great opportunities to hear from primary sources. Still, I will be glad to return to the ancients next year, and so will my dc!

Well, let's start off with a question - WHY do we study history in the first place?

I think most people will answer that question by saying we study history in order to learn about ourselves, to learn lessons from the past, and to know where our future is heading.

By studying 20th century history, we can't learn a whole lot about ourselves. It's too recent. It would be like looking at someone and trying to decipher his moral code based on what he did YESTERDAY instead of over the course of his entire life.

We also can't learn lessons from the past when the lessons are so recent. We don't really know yet what the historical ramifications are of, say, the Korean War, because the Korean War is still touching the PRESENT. We don't yet know what the ultimate outcome will be.

And lastly, we can't know where our future is heading by studying recent history because of... well, precisely because of what I just described in the paragraph above.

I don't think it's so much a case of people not LIKING 20th century history. Rather, I would guess that people think it's a waste of time to delve into it too deeply. It's like reading an unfinished novel.

This may be true but then we need to think to a anyone under 20 most of the 20th century is very new because they didn't live it. We teach our children not ourselves. I personally think there is a lot to be learned about ourselves in the 20th century but then again I am young too so I don't remember anything before the late 80's and most of the stuff I do remember aren't the things taught in history class because I was too young to worry about that kind of stuff.

We are completing the four-year cycle with ds this year (my poor dd is having to jump in at the end) and it has been difficult teaching modern history. I have observed that, for the most part, the entire focus of most curricula is on the political situation. When we studied previous eras we learned about art, music, inventions, literature, and the creative advances made by the societies of those times. I have also noticed that books tend to rush through the "good times" like the 1920's and the 1950's to get into the more historically significant wars, political upheavals and economic crises of the century. It has been a worthwhile study, and ds has had some great opportunities to hear from primary sources. Still, I will be glad to return to the ancients next year, and so will my dc!

We haven't started the 20th century yet, but I've been doing research into it, and I have to say for the reasons stated above, I'm dreading it.

Part of the "appeal" of history further past is the fact that it's been somewhat "distilled". This is part of it's downfall too, as people have a nasty tendency to "romanticize" those times.

Also, regarding past history, I don't feel the need to explain why / how this or that happened necessarily, and frequently it's due to what I don't know. (i.e. I know such and such country took over such and such land, but I don't know the atrocities that occurred as it took place.) However, I do feel an immense need to try to explain why people were so willing to follow Hitler (not that I have a good solid answer on that one, mind you). I feel this way, because I do know much more information of "personal" crimes -- not just national ones. (Am I making any sense?)

As I said, I have yet to actually "teach" it, so my views may change. (How the children interact with information is one way I "grade" how much I enjoy a particular topic.)

By studying 20th century history, we can't learn a whole lot about ourselves. It's too recent. It would be like looking at someone and trying to decipher his moral code based on what he did YESTERDAY instead of over the course of his entire life.

I think we can learn a great deal about ourselves, especially a look at what "we" consider important, in that it is well-known, vs. what we don't, ie stuff that is buried. The 20th century was an amazing streak of contrasts (It was the best of times, it was the worst of times) and the power and gullibility of the masses should not be glanced away from. As for moral code, I think how we go about our daily life is more pertinent to our moral code that what we do with the huge things in life, in that they are a preponderance of our lives. A leopard doesn't change its spots, nor does it hide them, and those that lead a balanced and mature life are more likely to shine in adversity.

That said, there is a point to having such a complex century at the end of the four year cycle. It is dauntingly complex, and that, perhaps, is why people dislike it. I am looking forward to it.

The footage I saw in Germany should not be seen by any child...and by few adults. It was, beyond a doubt, the most chilling video I have ever seen. None of us were able to talk after viewing...it's never been released in this country, and I, frankly, don't think it should be. That's what I'm talking about.

I studied 20th Century history with my ds last year in high school. We started with genocide, then studied WW1, then the Great Depression, The Spanish Civil War, WW2, and so on. After a few months, it was all depressing. Lets see, genocide, war, civil wars, fire bombing, trench warfare, chemical warfare, concentration camps, dividing countries after wars which led to civil wars and more war, genocide, attempts at genocide, war, civil war, cold war, and wars that will go on for a long time afterward. Gee why would I not want to teach this to my little girls?

:grouphug:

When we study older history, bad things happened that we learn about. But you have one or two chapters on a war, but not page after page of details of how many each side lost, captured, butchered, tortured, and exterminated. There are not photographs and video footage of piles of bodies and mass graves.

I learned a lot when I studied this with my high school son. Among the things I learned is that when we study the 20th Century next time, we will not spend a whole year on it. That requires too close of a focus on the details. I will also look for resources that give voice to the things that happened between the wars. Too many of the history books are focused only on the worse side of human nature and not on the brighter spots in between.

There are important things to be learned, but war and genocide are not limited to this century. They are just better documented.

in order to teach 20th century history. When I taught the Holocaust to my third-grader, we talked about "bad Hitler" and how he wanted to kill the Jews, and could she believe that *anyone* would be so cruel?? We spent a lot of time reading books about children who escaped from and resisted the Nazis (kid power!). You don't need to get graphic to get the message across.

This kind of thing gave us the opportunity to discuss how many people will take risks to help other people that they don't even know. They do it because they want to do what's right. There's a lot of evil in the world, but with every evil situation comes an opportunity for good.

Tapestry of Grace gives so many suggestions for "safe" topics within each scary topic. We had such a wonderful time on 20th century history. I wish more homeschoolers would embrace teaching modern history. As someone said earlier, we have a great opportunity to introduce children to people who lived through these events. (I'm so sorry now that I never filmed my FIL -- who died last year at 86 -- talking about his past. He was born in Texas in 1920 and saw a lot during his lifetime. He even remembered his mother and grandmother talking about things that had happened to them, and so we were able to get a very long view of American history!)

The footage I saw in Germany should not be seen by any child...and by few adults. It was, beyond a doubt, the most chilling video I have ever seen. None of us were able to talk after viewing...it's never been released in this country, and I, frankly, don't think it should be. That's what I'm talking about.

we studied Hitler and the Holocaust with mine when they were 11 and 12...I wasn't able to tell them EVERYTHING. The torture, the r*pe...no way are they prepared to hear that. I don't even like to hear it.

You can study that time period and make it very simple for younger children. My kids haven't seen any footage on it and I wouldn't want them too until they're older teens 16 and up.

There is alot more to the 20th century than the holocaust. In fact there is alot you can do with WWII without dwelling on the specific horrors of the holocaust. We'll be doing modern history next year and since we live in DC we'll be going to the holocaust museum. But only with my oldest. My younger kids will not. But that doesn't mean they'll skip the century all together.

They have been full and rich and generally slower than recommended.

I am glad, personally, that DD will encounter the focussed study of the modern period when she is 12 instead of 9. Certainly she is already familiar with many aspects of it from reading and talking. This year we studied the fight against child labor around Labor Day, and one of her alltime favorite books is "Cheaper by the Dozen"--1910's--and for literature this year one of our selections was "Number the Stars". She has read or had read to her Marrin's Hitler, and the Chronicles of Narnia (which refer slightly to WWII), the Shoes books (WWII era), The Red Velvet Room (dust bowl), and a photo book about the Hitler youth. We have also studied the post-Civil War period a bit via "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys" and have read some pioneer books as well. (Probably we have read and discussed a lot more 20th century books over the years that I just don't remember.) And this year one of our field trips was to see "Twelfth Night" set in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 60's, so we studied that era a bit as well. (That was one wild production.)

So it's not as if she hasn't heard about the main events and social movements of the West during the 20th century already--we just have not studied them in a structured way. Getting them all lined up now with links in between them is something I'm really looking forward to. Also, there are some gaps--we really know very little about the Korean War, and I have not covered WWI much at all. No special reason--it just really hasn't come up.

I'm really glad, though, not to have had to blow through this all quickly. I'm glad that we had the slow bringing into focus of reading several books on some of these topics and talking about them together. And I think that next year is going to be really great!

Have to say, though, that if there was something in social studies that I really, really wanted to do, I would be inclined to sacrifice modern history on the theory that it would get done some other time, almost through osmosis. It's so well documented. So, for instance, if I had decided to do Starting Points next year (which I will not--saving it for the year after when we will have finished LLLOTR), I might have just skipped modern history. I figure that she won't learn ancients or middle ages or early American history any other place but from me, but that modern history pervades everything and we could fit it in without focussing on it for a full year if we didn't want to.

It'll be a while until we get to modern history since we are just starting the ancients next year, but I wanted to share my story of gaping holes in my knowledge of modern history.

While taking history in high school, about halfway through the second semester my teacher told me that I had aced all the tests and assignments so far that year and if I didn't take another test the rest of the year I'd still get an A in the class. He told me I could just do "study hall" instead if I wanted to. I was a kid and didn't care about history so OF COURSE I took him up on it. Unfortunately, it means I never formally learned anything about World War I. I was lucky that my mom was fascinated with World War II and often told me stories about it and of course I got some coverage there from literature class- Anne Frank and so on. But I am woefully ignorant of WWI and my knowledge of Korea is limited to my grandfather's stories and MASH. :blush5: I've not made time to fill in the gaps well, but I look forward to learning alongside my children.

Totally agree with Lady A. I have no qualms about teaching modern history.

20+ years ago in school I spent a great deal of time studying about the holocaust, it helped me develop compassion on a level I had never understood before.

I was ashamed to say that I was in high school before I knew the Vietnam war went on in my lifetime!! We never studied it until then.

Just today my ds 10 and I had a very in depth discussion on racism. He was hesistant to discuss it at first, but it turned into a wonderful teaching moment.

I agree some of the moments are raw, but they should be discussed and studied. It helps me to examine myself as well.

:iagree:

We just finished up WWII and we watched a movie about the holocaust. It really stopped my ds in his tracks. He cried at the movie but it gave him a greater understanding of what was really happening then, the power a leader can sometimes hold over a group of people, propaganda, etc. It also helps us connect to our Bible studies and the persecution of the Jews throughout time.