Menu

Missing something?

This is what my ds13 is doing for 8th grade. I want him to be fully prepared for hs level work and I just feel like I am missing something, not sure what, but something. Any thoughts on what I'm using and what to add to make it a little meatier? He is very efficient with time, so this is only taking him 4 hours.

TT Algebra 1

Apologia Physical

MOH 1

K12 LA - lit, comp, vocab and grammar

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Typing Instructor

Cursive (we missed this in our transition out of ps in 3rd)

Tennis

Guest Dulcimeramy

Looks pretty solid to me!

I'm not familiar with K12 LA. If it doesn't include outlining and rewriting from outlines, you might want to add those WTM/SWB elements.

I don't see Latin, Greek, Logic, music, or art in the list. If he's getting done in 4 hours he might have time for some of those subjects.

For my 13yo son, I'm learning that it is hard to find just the right balance of lessons, physical activity, hobbies, and rest. It is a tricky age! If your son enjoys his 4 hours of study and doing well in all subjects, I would go slowly with adding more. It seems as if just being 13 is a part-time job, at least for my boy! LOL

This is what my ds13 is doing for 8th grade. I want him to be fully prepared for hs level work and I just feel like I am missing something, not sure what, but something. Any thoughts on what I'm using and what to add to make it a little meatier? He is very efficient with time, so this is only taking him 4 hours.

TT Algebra 1

Apologia Physical

MOH 1

K12 LA - lit, comp, vocab and grammar

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Typing Instructor

Cursive (we missed this in our transition out of ps in 3rd)

Tennis

IMO it looks like you have everything covered. I agree about adding slowly and to be especially careful about adding too much extra structured stuff. Maybe there are crafty things he'd like to do? Woodworking? Cooking? For fine arts, you could do things like add in a drawing program, some art history and composer study perhaps. My daughter enjoys Draw Squad a lot. My kids have also loved the Sister Wendy art history DVDs.

Another thing you might consider is adding in the SAT Question of the Day.

Other ideas might be to add a supplemental math book that focuses on problem-solving skills.

HTH! :001_smile:

Edited by Violet