Menu

Dr. Hive: Can you diagnose this rash?

My dd13 gets mild skin rashes every so often...has since she was an infant. Tonight, she came to me and showed me this pimply, red rash on the back of her neck that spreads around almost to the front of her neck. She says that it really itches. We thought perhaps it was her necklace so we told her to take it off. She just started wearing it a few weeks ago. Anything else this could be?

That's in a typical spot for eczema. The fact that this is recurring makes me think it's probably eczema; the other option that comes to mind is strep, but I don't know if that's itchy. Itchy also points to eczema. Perhaps she ate (or breathed) something recently that she has an allergy to?

I wondered about food allergy, but she said she hadn't eaten anything unusual or out of the ordinary. I also thought heat rash. She gets the same type of rash on her stomach once in a while...just one small patch under her navel and on her cheek (just one and always the same one). I wonder if it could be eczema? I'll ask her ped. next time we go. Thanks everyone.