Menu

Best shoes for a job where you stand on your feet??

I'm on a roll here with asking questions since I hardly ever post.

This board is the absolutely best place to get recommendations and I cannot figure out the best direction to go with shoes.

One of the problems is I broke my pinky toe and although it has healed it's still hurts if I try to put on tennis shoes so I was trying to find something better. Although I suppose if I just buy some new tennis shoes that have a wider toe box I may be ok. Right now I am basically in flip flops and that is murder on my bad knees and sciatic problems.

I also hate shoe shopping so I'm trying to make it as easy on myself as possible.

I swear by Clarks and Born shoes. You soooo need them! I think Born brand has more options for wide shoes. You can find them at department stores or places like DSW Shoe Warehouse. What size do you wear? I have bought a few pair from Goodwill (nice and clean though). Yep, $80. shoes for $8.00!

I can't do crocs for some reason. They make my back and knees hurt worse. I had a pair that I used for a year until I realized they were actually making things worse.

My foot is about a 9 and not especially wide it's just that my toe will not completely heal and just ends up squished in shoes.

I think I need more arch support. I read something about people who wear Uggs and your arches flattening out or damage to your feet somehow. Something about the warmth of your foot and no support. I wore mine for years and years so now it seems like I need more arch support.

I go to a New Balance shoe store where they have a ped-orthist (or something like that) who looks at feet first. My son was having lots of foot pain and after the pedorthist showed us how to pick the right sole for his foot, the pain stopped. And he stopped wearing the shoes out in weird places. We now look for a similarly made sole for him in other shoes. Even cheaper shoes with the right sole are better than what he had before.

Naots. Hands down. They have the cork bed foot which forms to your foot, but then there's gel on top. I'm not able to wear Birkenstocks, but Naots are heavenly.

You can also go to a store called...... The Walking Company? I think that's it. They have you stand on a machine and then they make the shoe that's exactly right for your foot. I wanted to try them over the summer but never got there.

Merrell's...hands down, have tried Ecco, New Balance, Asics, and a slew of others...I LOVE their mule type that are mesh so your feet stay dry...I bought a pair 5 years ago and it's just as good today! Walked all across England and the Mediterranean in these things...they're my go to shoe..I have back issues and these keep my back from having issues as well!

Tara

Merrell's! My hiking boots, my summer walking shoes, my winter waterproof shoes.... all Merrell's now. I have never paid full price, either, they can get pricey, so I have some that are funky colors. THey don't die, it seems, either, so they are really a bargain. They just fit and have an amazing footbed. I have plantar fasciitis and these shoes keep my feet from hurting....FlyLady told me to put on tie-up shoes every day and these stay on (less comfortable ones get kicked off.)

LBS

PS Podiatrist said Avia's are one of the tennis/running shoes he has many, many patients love, and they are nice too.

Birkenstocks would work for summer or casual situations, but for winter or more professional settings I would go with Dansko. I have arthritis in my feet along with plantar fascitis and I can't wear anything else. They're not very padded like a tennis shoe, but holds your foot in proper position. Like Birks, they take a little getting used to as they fit differently then any other shoe you'll wear, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine. For casual shoes, sandals, hiking shoes I wear KEEN. Ebay is a good source for a deal but I would try a pair on at a shoe store and have them sized properly before just buying them online. I have friends with knee problems, back problems, all end up with Dansko. Best of luck finding something you like.

Guest Cindie2dds
Dansco. They are super-bulky (clog style), but they are the only shoes I'll wear shopping, and I know many nurses and surgeons who wear them exclusively.

And flight attendants. :) I wear Birkenstocks on my days off in the summer and Danskos in the winter.

Earth Shoes are the only brand I know of where the heel sits slightly *lower* than the toes. Just slightly. But it makes a HUGE difference. Having the heel elevated is not natural, and puts a lot of stress on the knees and lower back. But imagine walking barefoot through sand. Your heel would sink into the sand more than your toes. This is the idea behind Earth Shoes. It keeps your calves limber and flexible, and it reduces the stress on your knees and back. I broke my tailbone when I was 12 and have had sacral pain ever since, intermittently I mean, and probably will for the rest of my life. When I'm hurting, I know there are two things that are proven to help: going for a nice long walk and wearing Earth Shoes. They really are great.

• 5 months later...
Dansko, sanita or keen. I also like Finn comfort though they can be pricey.

Apologies for resurrecting such an old post - I have my eye on the cutest pair of Finn Comfort Mary Jane's - are they worth (exceptional quality and comfort - will last years) the high price tag?

Thanks!