Menu

What do you use a reading program for?

Tracy

Maybe this is a really stupid question. I have seen some questions about reading programs lately and see that kids as old as 6th grade are using them. I thought that reading programs were to teach kids to read. And since my dd is reading, I didn't think that I needed them. (I just have her read to me every day.) I am sort of new to homeschooling. Am I missing out on something?

Edited by tracymirko

I use The Writing Road to Reading, and "Reading Lessons" mean understanding text structure: Is a piece of writing a Narrative (story, or fiction, with plot, characters, event, setting, etc.) or is it Informative (to give information, such as History or Science), or is it a combination of both called Informative-Narrative (telling a story that entertains while giving information). Reading also includes comprehension skills like using context clues to figure out unfamiliar words, and understanding what you read.

Some people would call it Creative Writing verses Expository Writing.

There is a lot more to it than that, but I think that sums up "Reading" as a subject a little bit.

Basically, does your student understand what he reads, and how well does he understand it?

In high school, we would call a reading class, "Literature."

Does that help at all?

We use the CLE "Reading" program for 3rd and 4th grade. It's an amazingly thorough program that covers TONS of stuff - well beyond basic reading comprehension skills. I would say it take my kids between 15 and 25 minutes a day to complete an assignment (the 4th grade is 5 units to allow for more writing time, and the 3rd grade is daily).

Here is the scope and sequence for the 4th grade Light unit 403 (there are 5 units, so this is the 3rd of 5 for the year):

Working with vocabulary words

Identifying a summary of a story

Matching characters to descriptive

clues

Scanning to verify given statements

True/false statements containing the

word not

Categorizing words

Reasons for given circumstances

Scanning for a figure of speech

Placing events in order

Inferring to place events in order

Ways to obey a Scripture verse

Completing a crossword puzzle

Determining a word meaning

The best time to right a wrong

Determining responsibilty for mistakes

God’s part and our part

Writing a second line for a couplet

Matching words to phrases that rhyme

and have the same rhythm

Making recommendations

Matching actions to Scripture verses

Antonyms of words that describe

character traits

Identifying character by observing

actions

Jobs fourth graders can do faithfully

Learning the term analogy

Completing analogies

Comparing characters to Anabaptists

Using the table of contents

Identifying a story scene – easy to

see in the mind’s eye

Painting a word picture

Completing a crossword puzzle

Learning the term parable

Matching parable details to meanings

Exhibiting understanding of parable

Identifying the most important lesson

in the parable

Memorizing and applying Scripture

The Scope and Sequence for the 3rd grade Light unit 303 (book 3 of 10 for the year) is as follows:

Vocabulary words

Alphabetizing by third letters

Meaning changed by accented

syllable

Rules for oral reading

Matching dialogue to speaker

Placing a story in its time frame

Figures of speech

Analyzing story characters’ feelings

Doing as you please does not bring

happiness

Sequencing story events

Categorizing words

Scanning for words

Alphabetizing by fourth letters

Guide words

“Heaping coals of fire”

Fact and opinion

Identifying rhyming lines in poetry

Using homographs correctly

Fiction and nonfiction

Thankfulness

A different title for the story

Rewriting sentences

As you can see there is a lot to "reading". I think it's great because it covers all the test prep type reading comp that I feel my kids need, but it also covers a WHOLE lot more. I love that it's quick, my kids love the stories and it make sure we don't have any gaps. (And yes, we read a TON outside of this curriculum.)

You are not missing out on anything, at least for the age of your children.

Yes, "Reading Program" at a young age, generrally refers to teaching reading.

As the child becomes a capable reader, some families turn to a "Reading Program" thath helps the child actually learn to study the reading. Such those items that a previous poster listed from their reading program.

One school of thought, ala WTM, is that a reading program is not necessary. That is can kill the love of reading to have to do an in-depth study of books. That most reading programs are not quality "reading material", rather snippets created by textbooks writers.

I agree with that school of thought to a certain extent. Once my child was reading, I did not following a "reading program", just had him read quality books for enjoyment (and corresponding sometimes with what we were studying in other subjects). We would discuss the books together, in a casual conversation setting.

In 6th grade, I decided to try the CLE Reading program. There is alot of stuff in it that I would have never thought to teach or discuss. Inferring, even the simple things like 3rd person, 1st person, and so much more I can't think of off the top of my head, lol! But now that I realize how useful the reading program is, my son will continue it, at least through 8th for now.

So, here's my personal plan for younger children: Reading program to teach reading, then no reading program for younger elementary years instead just enjoy reading, learning to love it, learning to appreciate the enjoyment and adventure that reading can bring, and then in middle school, Reading program to "study" reading, to see the "meat" in the techniques.

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, they all help me understand.

So, here's my personal plan for younger children: Reading program to teach reading, then no reading program for younger elementary years instead just enjoy reading, learning to love it, learning to appreciate the enjoyment and adventure that reading can bring, and then in middle school, Reading program to "study" reading, to see the "meat" in the techniques.

Thanks especially for this. It makes a lot of sense.