Menu

WWE/WTM narration vs. CM narration

Mama2two

My son is doing Ambleside Online Year 1 for literature and we are using the Charlotte Mason technique of narration- retelling the story in as much detail as possible. He doing really well with this and I am amazed at the amout of detail he can remember. (We also do CM style narration for other subjects like history and science as well)

We also just started WWE. When it says to do narration it asks for the "one thing" he remembers. In looking at WWE it looks like it is leading up to teaching how to summarize?

I'm worried about how to do both of these. I was thinking of calling the narration in WWE a "summary" to my son so that he is learning it is something different.

Anyone else try to do both methods? Is it confusing to your kids? How do you handle it?

Edited by Mama2two

This thread has a lot of replies about the two approaches to narration.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180513&highlight=cm+narration

We follow the Charlotte Mason approach to narration. For our family this means we do oral narrations (simple retellings) and each year began to expand our definition of a narration. This year my older dd will be writing different types of essays, poetry and other compositions. She will learn/practice how to write a precis, dialogue, speech analysis, document analysis, literary analysis, etc.

I do think the approach with WWE is different but I haven't seen this myself. If you really want to continue with CM narrations and WWE, you may want to label each differently. Hopefully, someone who uses both approaches will see this and can give you some help with how to use each one together.

When I want my kids to do a CM type narration I use either the term narration or detailed narration. When we are doing WWE work I use the term summary or summary narration.

It hasn't been a problem here.

Heather

Heather,

If you have time will you share why and in what situations you use one method or the other? Or do you just purpose to use both styles of narration so that you're working on different skills?

Thanks! :001_smile:

Heather,

If you have time will you share why and in what situations you use one method or the other? Or do you just purpose to use both styles of narration so that you're working on different skills?

Thanks! :001_smile:

It depends on my goal. But also realize that given time constraints I try to wean them off of WWE ASAP and use their Bible, which I already read daily for their narrations.

At first I am going for comprehension, so I do a more detailed narration when they are young, then I move to WWE after my kids can read fairly well. I don't like using material they can't read. I use WWE to teach how to summarize, which they will need for CW Homer.

Then when they start CW they go back to detailed narrations, but they are allowed to change the setting, characters and such as long as they retain the moral. They can also just do straight narration. In CW Homer you do both detailed re-writes and summaries by scene and acts.

Right now my 2nd dd is doing Aesop A, so she does the detailed narrations there and at the same time she is still doing summaries with her Bible. My 2nd dd is still doing detailed narrations with her Bible and is almost done with WWE 1 and will do WWE 2 at double pace then move on to doing summaries with her Bible while she go to doing detailed narration in Aesop.

Guess I kinda do both at the same time once they get older. I start with detailed narration though. My ds will probably start detailed narration sometime this year or next fall, depending on how his reading progresses and how much time I have (directly related-if he is reading fluently I will have more time for other stuff). :rolleyes: In a perfect would he would have started this fall, but he will still get there...

Heather