Menu

How contagious is mononucleosis?

It is very contagious, but only by sharing "mouth germs"....i.e. kissing, sharing utensils, sharing cups, sharing food. However, the incubation period is 4-6 weeks from exposure and you can be contagious before you are actually exhibiting symptoms. Does your child still have a fever? Other symptoms?

Forget the hint. Tell her the truth. My oldest dd had mono a couple of years ago and it was horrible on her! She maintained a fever, vomiting, and fainted a few times in the first week, then spent the next 2 weeks on the sofa unable to move at all. Then took over a month to feel up to going out, but would tire really easily. It affected her eating and totally messed up her sleeping because she slept so much for about 6 weeks. It really took a few months for her to feel like her old self again. It was crazy!

This woman's child must have a very mild case if she feels she can take her out places, but that doesn't guarantee what kind of reaction other children AND adults might get if exposed to her. I'd tell her!

As the parent of a child who has had serious immunity issues, I would be very upset if the child was at an event I attended. A 5yo is still young enough to keep hands in/around her mouth and then go touching all sorts of things that would hold those germs.

I will say though, that until I had a child that could become sick so easily, I probably would have not considered that others could be sick easily and might not have seen anything wrong with taking a diagnosed, but otherwise symptom free child with me. Especially 2 weeks after the diagnosis.

I am not sure I can tell her directly. I believe I have given plenty of hints especially when I saw her last week at a public event as we celebrated our Eid. It was teeming with kids and her dd was sitting (at first) on a chair looking horrible before she began mingling with the other kids. This was while the mother was telling me how sick she was and how bad she felt, but that she didn't want her left out from the party.

So, I feel better about having cancelled our meeting today, here at my place. We have another thing going on next week at my house, but if she ends up not having a conflict and can indeed attend, then I'll move the meeting to a playground or something. I just can't take the thought of having the little girl over at this point.

It is *very* frustrating when people only think of their own convenience like this. Last year a mother consistently brought her sick toddler to meetings, resulting in my toddler and usually me as I was pregnant and had a lowered immunesystem getting sick right after. I have even included with my emails these days to *please* not come if you are sick.....Some people don't get it. And btw then these people are from a different culture where being more direct than this is considered really rude, so I am trying to go through the backdoor with my pleas...