Menu

Tea Time! [No, not THAT kind, you dirty-minded folk :D]

I have gingerbread in the oven. I'll be making pumpkin scones and vanilla-fudge cake later tonight. Tomorrow I'm making cheesecake squares, pie crust, and pavlovas. On Sunday morning, I'm finishing up the pavlovas, putting icing on the cake, and baking a pear pie. Then I'm cleaning the house, getting out all the china and fancy silverware, and having 11 of my mom's group friends over for tea!

The smell is already heavenly.

I love hosting teas.

first rule of the board. Post recipes!

I want the pumpkin scone recipe, please. I've been hoping to try scones for the first time. The kids have food allergies, and all commercial scones are exposed to nuts. I need to bake my own.

:iagree:

Pumpkin scones caught my eye too.

ETA: What kind of tea are you serving?

I'll post the recipe here in a bit. I have a regular scone recipe as well as the pumpkin scone recipe. (Random side note, my husband, an Aussie, pronounces scone like 'skon' with a short o, while I was brought up to say 'skone' with a long o... weird, huh?)

Tea is.... LIPTON! :D I know, right? But oddly enough, it seems to have universal appeal. DH's grandmother first tried it when she visited years ago, before she immigrated, and loved it so much she took some back with her. Now that's all she buys. Plus, I find that non-tea drinkers can handle the taste because it meshes well with sugar and cream.

I'd love to invite you all and have you meet the ladies in my mom's group. It's been my therapy sometimes when nothing else has worked, and they are all loving and supportive and non-judgmental, which is saying something when you get 60+ random moms together on a message board!

I host my teas twice a year, and they are always well-attended. I enjoy getting to bake for people and break out the good china, and they come for the pavlova. ;)

Okay, I've been reading each reply to this thread and I still can't figure out what *other kind* of tea could you have possibly been thinking of??? I only know of the tea you drink. I don't really think I want to know the answer to this question - I'm just saying I have know idea what "that" kind of tea could be.:confused:

Heeheee.....I was just thinking of that "other tea" thread today....that was a while back now....at least I feel like I still know something of the hive mind culture! Haven't been here much as of late.

I am a baker and your Proper Tea sounds delish! I once had our piano teacher over for tea with the kids - it was so much fun! The kids had hot chocolate and got to practice their tea manners :001_smile:

Scones (Irish recipe):

1 c. butter, softened

4 3/4 c. self-rising flour

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. cream of tartar

2/3 c. sugar

1 egg

1 c. golden raisins

1 1/3 c. milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and sugar in large bowl. Cut in butter, lifting to aerate as you work. Use a light touch for light scones. When mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, stir in raisins, egg, and milk. Stir just until dough is formed. Knead lightly until smooth. Turn onto floured surface and roll or press to 1/2†thickness. Cut into 2†or 3†rounds and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake 7-10 minutes until fluffed and lightly browned.

-----

Pumpkin Scones (Australian recipe):

2-1/2 c. self-rising flour

1/4 tsp. dried mixed herbs

4 T. cold butter, chopped

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 c. cooked, mashed pumpkin

1-2 T. milk

Extra milk for glazing

1. Preheat oven to 210C (about 410F). Grease a cookie sheet.

2. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in mixed herbs; add chopped butter. Cut in butter until mixture is fine and crumbly.

3. Combine beaten egg, mashed pumpkin, and milk. Add to flour mixture and stir with a knife just till combined.

4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 seconds or until smooth. Press mixture out gently to form a round about 2 cm (1/2") thick. Cut the mixture into rounds using a 5-cm (2") cutter.

5. Place rounds on prepared sheet and brush tops with extra milk. Bake for 15 minutes or until tops are lightly golden. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold with butter.

NOTES:

1. A tablespoon in Australia is actually *four* of our teaspoons, so bear that in mind when adding the milk.

2. If you prefer sweet scones, you can replace the herbs with 2 tsp. sugar.

Sounds fun! We just had a tea on Thursday for my dd's 7th birthday party. We had 5 beautiful young ladies. They were so proper and actually loved the tea. I went to several thrift stores to buy all the china. It was so much fun! I told my dd how she can have a tea every year, even when she is older. She liked that idea.