Menu

On the word, "conciseness"

Earlier this week, I was reading a writing curriculum's web site, and was bothered by some of the writing on the site.

Upon reflection, I found that some of the things that rubbed me the wrong way were just matters of personal preference. For example, the word "conciseness" really gets to me, even though I realize it's a legitimate English word. I'm more drawn to "concision," another legitimate English word meaning the same thing. Since I realize it's an unusual choice, in practice I rephrase the sentence so I can use the word "concise" instead.

Many of you are much more knowledgeable about words than I am, and I wonder if you have insight into why the "ness" ending on the word "concise" bothers me so much?

I think that there may be a bell going off in your head: precise, precision; concise, concision. You are uncomfortable about breaking the pattern.

In addition, both 'precise' and 'concise' are of Latin origin, the 'cise' bit deriving from the word for 'to cut'. '-ness' is of Old English origin, so may feel to you as if it doesn't fit. That said, there are lots of words that mix origins: 'television', for example.

Laura