Menu

What is a good way to prep for the PSAT...

My 10th grader is taking this in October as a practice. She's done basic standardized tests before but nothing like this. I'd like to do some prep to help her know what to expect and because she has the typical teen 'I'm going to bomb anyway' attitude so I want to work on that as well and show her it isn't so awful. What have you successfully used to help prep for these tests? Any tips?

Thanks

Heather

We've found McGraw-Hill's PSAT/NMSQT test prep book very helpful. Also, try to get a copy of the student guide booklet from the school where your dd is scheduled to take the test. This booklet is given out to all the students who sign up for the PSAT and it contains very helpful information as well as a practice test. It's the most realistic practice you'll find to the real thing. Your dd probably won't have time to go through the whole McGraw-Hill book before the test at this point--that can take several weeks--but she could at least do a practice test or two to get her feet wet, and review some of her weaker areas. Just taking the test in October will be good practice too.

Then, she can work through McGraw-Hill in more detail later (they have great recommendations for long-term vocab study and for developing critical reading skills) and she'll be well-prepared for the PSAT next year when it counts.

Anyway, this is what worked for us. Hope it helps!

We've found McGraw-Hill's PSAT/NMSQT test prep book very helpful. Also, try to get a copy of the student guide booklet from the school where your dd is scheduled to take the test. This booklet is given out to all the students who sign up for the PSAT and it contains very helpful information as well as a practice test. It's the most realistic practice you'll find to the real thing. Your dd probably won't have time to go through the whole McGraw-Hill book before the test at this point--that can take several weeks--but she could at least do a practice test or two to get her feet wet, and review some of her weaker areas. Just taking the test in October will be good practice too.

:iagree:

My dd used exactly these two items as well, with good results.

GardenMom

• 1 month later...
Guest Erick Tait

I’m a counselor in high school and it’s always been my advice to students to choose a study guideline that suits them best. One of the best sites today, in this regard, is Shmoop. Their PSAT Prep includes a step-by-step coverage of all the subjects along with practice tests. Their tips on how to improve and even for the day before the exam are all quite helpful. Check it out for yourself.