Menu

MIL is thinking of getting a Schnauzer....what kind of dog is this? Worried

I had one growing up. No biting, growling, or general nastiness but OMH... the barking!!! They're definitely yappy, and ours was a major runner and escape artist. We had a good fence, but she could find the tiniest crack and somehow get through it, or else she'd shoot out the door if we held it open a second too long. But I don't know that this is characteristic of the breed; it might have been just her personality.

I hope your MIL's dog turns out to be one that you'll enjoy. :)

SBP

We currently have a male schnauzer. We LOVE him and would get another when he passes except for the fact he has lots of health issues. He has been raised with our girls and he is very good with kids. He did bond with me and will follow me from room to room. My brother liked ours so well, he got a female:001_smile: They can be yappy but ours doesn't bark that much unless someone knocks. They don't shred, another plus, but they do require grooming. I take ours in once a month. My SIL does her own.

Schnauzers are wonderful dogs. They are curious, loving, almost always gentle (aren't there always exceptions!) and very protective and loyal to their family. The down side...oh yes, they bark. Someone walking outside the house, ears up, that person isn't my family, bark! bark! bark! Gone all day and walk in the door...oh, my, you're HOME! Bark! Bark! Little howl! Bark!

Most little dogs like to bark. Can it be prevented, sure, right now we're using the squirt bottle because the barking has gotten to be a problem.

These guys are usually friendly. Out of all the schnauzer's we've had, only one hasn't been but he's just that way to strangers, not family members, so we just put him in our room when maintenance and pest guys come over.

Honestly, I am kind of wondering like the other poster...if every dog she has had is that way it makes me wonder if she isn't having some part to play in their temperament. Little dogs = mean, nasty dogs isn't the norm. Of all the little dogs I've known, only one fits that description, and it was a toy poodle that just had very few redeeming qualities.

Dogs are pack animals, if you treat them like children, they are scared and do not feel that you can protect them, so they become alpha and become protective and mean. Mostly a little dog that barks is saying....go away, go away, go away...

If they are secure that you will take care of them, they don't bark much.

Their bark is more like...mom look who's here...look look look...then they shut up as soon as you let them know you see the problem.

Lara

Every single small dog my mil has had has been a whiney, yipey, barkey, growling, biting, attacking, nasty rotten animal!

Saying this gently, but honestly then the problem is less about the breed and more about the environment and the training, or lack thereof. The breed is an important factor, because that's the foundation that you're working with. And it sounds to me like a schnauzer would be a very bad choice for her. They can be very head-strong, so he would quickly learn that he was the one running the show. She needs a more docile dog by nature, one that is very willing to let someone else be the boss. And she needs to take it to some training classes or even have someone come to her home and teach *her* how to handle the dog.

Saying this gently, but honestly then the problem is less about the breed and more about the environment and the training, or lack thereof. The breed is an important factor, because that's the foundation that you're working with. And it sounds to me like a schnauzer would be a very bad choice for her. They can be very head-strong, so he would quickly learn that he was the one running the show. She needs a more docile dog by nature, one that is very willing to let someone else be the boss. And she needs to take it to some training classes or even have someone come to her home and teach *her* how to handle the dog.

WSS

My brother had schnauzers several years ago. He and his wife were not good dog "parents" because they were too busy to do much training. The dogs were terribly yippy and obnoxious.

I'm sorry to say, that if every dog your MIL has had in the past has been that way, it probably has very little to do with breed. We've had small dogs more often than not over the years, and it's all about how they are trained.

:iagree: Schnauzers can be great dogs. I have a couple good friends that have them and they are great with our kids. BUT it is all about the training. I know someone who has an extremely sweet pit bull. I guess I would strongly encourage them to take their dog through obedience and behavioral training no matter what the breed.

Schnauzers are very bright and will take the upper hand if allowed. But they can be super dogs. We had one when I was young, and he was just fantastic. He and my baby brother adored each other and were inseparable. He could figure out how to open gates pretty easily and would go for walks, but he always came home right away. Hope it works out.

We currently have a male schnauzer. We LOVE him and would get another when he passes except for the fact he has lots of health issues. He has been raised with our girls and he is very good with kids. He did bond with me and will follow me from room to room. My brother liked ours so well, he got a female:001_smile: They can be yappy but ours doesn't bark that much unless someone knocks. They don't shred, another plus, but they do require grooming. I take ours in once a month. My SIL does her own.

:lol: I say, if they aren't up for a good workout, what good are they!?!?:lol: