Menu

Math - do you make your dc do the early lessons in your math text....

I think that is the glory of homeschooling. My dh (the math teacher) just does a few questions orally from the beginning lessons. If my son feels confident that he know the answers,they skip those lessons and he moves on. The theory is that if starts to struggle, they can always go back, though they have never needed to do that.

Cedarmom

I've always done this, since my kids were little. Elementary math texts have a lot of review built in at the beginning of every book, so we would sometimes skip whole chapters. I would have them do the chapter tests just to make sure they could do the problems in that context. In high school texts there is much less review, but sometimes we skip problems or sets that are repetetive. Again, though, I would make them do all the problems on the test.

We are Saxon users, and when my kids move to the next level I begin by giving them the tests. I take a look at what they miss, and decide whether to let them go on to the next test or just review the particular concept missed. I have had kids test out of up to the first 30 lessons with this approach, with no loss of understanding as they progressed from that point. With 120 to 140 lessons in a Saxon book, we'd not likely finish them all in a school "year" anyway, so it's nice to eliminate the unnecessary review. We also do not break for summer with math, though we may go down to 2-3 days per week. If you do a traditional summer break with 2-3 months off, the kids may truly need the review.

HTH!

covering things like addition, subtraction, etc.? Do you ask them if they know how to do it - do a few, then move on? I've never done this, but am considering it moving into Algebra (Jacobs).

We've done this, or something similar, i.e., moved through the early sections very quickly if the content was material both they and I felt that they knew well.

However, I've also done the opposite--spent MORE time on early content. I did this with my older two kids, after they finished geometry and immediately prior to moving on to an algebra 2 book that had little review of algebra. I pulled out a different algebra course and had them review parts of algebra 1 before they started algebra 2.

I wouldn't *plan* to do so, going into algebra. I have Jacob's Algebra text and like many algebra texts, while it starts with simple things (addition), it does so from a mathematical standpoint, not an arithmetic standpoint. In other words, like many algebra texts, it takes time to explain the "why's" behind all the computation the student has learned to do in elementary school--there is a lot of logic entering the process....

HTH,