Menu

Gag...why did I think this was a good idea?

SOTW3, Chapter 3 has making parkin and colonial pottage listed as activities. I decided we'd do just that today.

Parkin is a "cake" made with flour, oatmeal, ginger, a whole lot of molasses, very little sugar. The smell of it gags me. And we are going to eat it???

Pottage is a stew made with meat (I'm using beef) and lots of greens. We've had a vegetable pottage before at a medieval living history museum. Only DH liked it. The kids and I hate cooked greens and this has lettuce, spinach, endive, and cabbage in it.

I have no desire to eat dinner. Please remind me NOT to do this again in 4-5 years when I go through SOTW3 again with the younger kids.

Yeah, it has a strong molasses flavor -- and if you loathe molasses (I grew up with it, so I find it a comforting flavor), I can't imagine you'd enjoy it at all. Except, you know, maybe if there was a 7:1 ratio of fresh whipped cream to parkin... ;)

So how did the pottage turn out? Will you be scrounging for pb&j later tonight?!?

Well, I made a *huge* amount of paella this week (geography: Spain), and the children all hated it (happily my husband was a fan [grin]) The kids ended up eating shrimp (that wasn't mixed in because I don't like it) and then pb&j sandwiches for dinner.

We made Parkin a couple weeks ago (an online recipe) and it was a big hit here. Then, again, we like molasses and the recipe we used was basically like gingerbread. Yum.

Our terrible meal was Ropa Vieja when we studied Panama.

SOTW3, Chapter 3 has making parkin and colonial pottage listed as activities. I decided we'd do just that today.

Parkin is a "cake" made with flour, oatmeal, ginger, a whole lot of molasses, very little sugar. The smell of it gags me. And we are going to eat it???

Pottage is a stew made with meat (I'm using beef) and lots of greens. We've had a vegetable pottage before at a medieval living history museum. Only DH liked it. The kids and I hate cooked greens and this has lettuce, spinach, endive, and cabbage in it.

I have no desire to eat dinner. Please remind me NOT to do this again in 4-5 years when I go through SOTW3 again with the younger kids.

Maybe your children will enjoy this "adventurous" meal. :lol::lol::lol: If someone is hungry enough they can enjoy a lot of different things.

Our entire meal consisted of:

Colonial Pottage (beef & vegetable)

Parkin

Homemade Bread

Apples

Plums

Grapes

Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Muste (apple juice spiced with cloves and cinnamon)

The pottage turned out ok, though it was kind of slimy between the oatmeal and the greens. Everyone ate a little except my 3 year old who would only take the one required bite. No one but DH liked the parking. Everyone liked the bread, apples, cheese, and grapes which is why I included them. Everyone except my 3 year old liked the plums. Everyone liked the muste.

So, it worked out ok. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the parkin. I thought of giving the neighbors a chance to taste a traditional, colonial-era cake with the disclaimer that not everyone would like it.