Menu

Traitors!

So we had Kale Pie for dinner tonight. Yes, Kale Pie. and it was delicious. My daughter chose the recipe from a Mark Bittman cookbook b/c she loves kale and I made it this evening.

She and my husband both said it was delicious. I asked if it was Wow, I'm going to tell all my friends what a good cook my mom is b/c she makes a delicious kale pie or was it just good but nothing to tell your friends about.

They looked at me blankly, then at each other. Then they laughed and said it was delicious but they'd never actually tell anyone that they ate, much less liked, kale pie.

It was good! How do they dare to say that shameful thing?

If you're thinking of trying it, I made my own all purpose flour with whole spelt, baking soda, and salt. DElish!

What no commiseration?

Sorry, what was i thinking? I think I was just wanted some sympathy and understanding and all you want me for is my kale pie . . . :tongue_smilie:

of course, if you make this pie, you can't tell anyone you ate it!

Kale Pie by Mark Bittman

2 Tbs butter plus more as needed (I used olive oil)

About 8 large kale or chard leaves, thinly sliced (I used 2 bunches and didn't count)

1 med onion, sliced

salt and pepper

1/4 c. chopped mixed herbs, like parsley, thyme, chervil, and chives (I used all the ends of the dried herbs in the pantry. I there was a lot of dried parsley, some basil, chives, thyme -- I bet it would have been better with fresh. I'm pretty sure I used more than 1/4 cup.)

6 eggs

1 c. whole-milk yogurt or sour cream (I used gk yogurt)

3 Tbs mayo

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/4 c. all purpose flour

preheat oven to 375

melt butter in large skillet, add kale and onion (I carmelized the onions b/f adding the kale). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir/toss occassionally till quite tender. Add herbs. adjust seasoning.

meanwhile, hard cook 3 eggs, shell, coarsly chop, add to kale. let cool while you make the batter. (Mine didn't cool much).

Combine yogurt, mayo, and remaining eggs. add baking powder and flour and mix until smooth. lightly butter a 9x12 ceramic or glass baking dish. spread half the batter over the bottom, then top with kale filling. smear the remaining batter over the kale with your fingers or a rubber spatula to make sure there are no gaps in what will form the pie's top crust.

bake 45 minutes (mine went 8 minutes short of that): the crust will be shiny an golden brown. Let pie cool for at least 15 min b/f slicing into as

many rectangles as you like. serve warm or at room temp.

Pretty yummy. I'll post about the all purpose flour later!

Well, this is embarrassing! I googled how to make all purpose flour so when you asked, I was going to post the link. I went back to the site and guess what! I made self-rising flour.

:blush:

Still, it was good!

Here is the link:http://southernfood.about.com/cs/breads/ht/self_rise_flour.htm

The recipe does call for all purpose but could have called for self rising b/c you still add the baking soda (though not the salt).

how embarrassing! sorry!

What no commiseration?

Sorry, what was i thinking? I think I was just wanted some sympathy and understanding and all you want me for is my kale pie . . . :tongue_smilie:

of course, if you make this pie, you can't tell anyone you ate it!

Kale Pie by Mark Bittman

2 Tbs butter plus more as needed (I used olive oil)

About 8 large kale or chard leaves, thinly sliced (I used 2 bunches and didn't count)

1 med onion, sliced

salt and pepper

1/4 c. chopped mixed herbs, like parsley, thyme, chervil, and chives (I used all the ends of the dried herbs in the pantry. I there was a lot of dried parsley, some basil, chives, thyme -- I bet it would have been better with fresh. I'm pretty sure I used more than 1/4 cup.)

6 eggs

1 c. whole-milk yogurt or sour cream (I used gk yogurt)

3 Tbs mayo

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/4 c. all purpose flour

preheat oven to 375

melt butter in large skillet, add kale and onion (I carmelized the onions b/f adding the kale). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir/toss occassionally till quite tender. Add herbs. adjust seasoning.

meanwhile, hard cook 3 eggs, shell, coarsly chop, add to kale. let cool while you make the batter. (Mine didn't cool much).

Combine yogurt, mayo, and remaining eggs. add baking powder and flour and mix until smooth. lightly butter a 9x12 ceramic or glass baking dish. spread half the batter over the bottom, then top with kale filling. smear the remaining batter over the kale with your fingers or a rubber spatula to make sure there are no gaps in what will form the pie's top crust.

bake 45 minutes (mine went 8 minutes short of that): the crust will be shiny an golden brown. Let pie cool for at least 15 min b/f slicing into as

many rectangles as you like. serve warm or at room temp.

Pretty yummy. I'll post about the all purpose flour later!

This does sound really yummy! I'm going to make it and see if the kids will go for it. I may add some shredded chicken and call it Chicken Green Pie or something though :tongue_smilie:

Barb