Menu

Recipes for things that are so delicious you can't believe they are healthy?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I am looking for whole foods, cooked from scratch recipes that are chock full of all that is good for you and ridiculously delicious. I have a few I can post myself but wanted to get this thread started first.

I am all ears for your best recipes. :001_smile:

Guest Alte Veste Academy

That does look yummy. I would ordinarily be concerned about that much cream but according to someone from the nutrition myths thread, the NIH says sat fat isn't so bad after all. I would really love for that to be true! I sure hope it is and all that fuss was really trans-fat's fault! :D

Any more? Will dig mine out and post them in a bit.

Most soups but this is my favorite:

Sweet potato minestrone:

Saute 1 lg. onion, chopped; 2 lg. celery stalks, chopped; 2.5 tsp. Italian seasoning; S & P

Stir in 32 oz diced tomatoes; 5-7c chicken broth; 2 lg. sw.pots, diced; 2 lg carrots; sliced thin; 6 oz green beans; zucchini (I always have some frozen so I add in); 5 garlic cloves, minced

Bring to a boil

Reduce to simmer - simmer 30 min (add some pasta (bowtie is our fav) during the last 10-15 min)

Another yummy thing: Stir fry (bok choy, broccoli, tofu (dry, cut in strips, marinate in teriaki sauce & freeze to make firm - grill on George Foreman then add to stirfry towards end), whatever you like in your stirfry :)

That does look yummy. I would ordinarily be concerned about that much cream

We've used milk instead of cream before. It's not quite as yummy, but it is still good. Cream cheese works nicely if you eat that, coconut milk works if you don't. You have to get your fat soluble vitamins somehow :)

Rosie

Roasted veggies in general, roasted sweet potatoes in particular.

I always wished that I liked sweet potatoes even a little bit, because they are so healthy to eat. Cut some up, toss them in olive oil, garlic and herbs, roast them 45 min at 400 degrees -- and they are delicious.

Pumpkin soup is another healthy and delicious food.

I copied a recipe that Kay in Cal posted in June of 2006.

Chocolate Tofu Pie

1 crumb pie crust

21 oz of silken tofu (use 2 10.5 oz boxes, warning: not Nasoya brand, it's grainy)

3 T maple syrup, or honey, or agave nectar

12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Roughly chop the tofu. Blend in blender or food process with the syrup until smooth. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Add melted chocolate to tofu and re-blend, scraping sides. Pour into crust and chill a few hours. Kay suggests serving it with whipped cream.

I just happened to have made this today, unfortunately I forgot the rule about not using Nasoya (it was on sale!) and the pie is grainy. Dang!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Thanks everyone!

My favorites here are tending towards garlicky and herby lately. :D

Hummus (Am I the only one who could eat this stuff with a spoon?)

Tzatziki on whole grain bread

My most recent favorite is a couscous salad with chickpeas and wonderful fresh herbs that I could eat until I pop. I can't find the recipe and can't remember where I originally found it! Argh! :willy_nilly: Will search more tomorrow.

Lentil soup with onions, garlic, zucchini, carrots, etc. When it is done we add apple cider vinegar and (if we have it) a dollop of sour cream to the top. We eat it with freshly home made cornbread. I grind popcorn in my grain grinder and make it fresh. (Or my eldest dd does!) :001_smile:

Thanks everyone!

My favorites here are tending towards garlicky and herby lately. :D

Hummus (Am I the only one who could eat this stuff with a spoon?)

Tzatziki on whole grain bread

My most recent favorite is a couscous salad with chickpeas and wonderful fresh herbs that I could eat until I pop. I can't find the recipe and can't remember where I originally found it! Argh! :willy_nilly: Will search more tomorrow.

I like hummus mixed with baba ghanoush - we call it baba ga hummus! http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/baba-ghanoush-2/Detail.aspx

Roasted veggies in general, roasted sweet potatoes in particular.

I always wished that I liked sweet potatoes even a little bit, because they are so healthy to eat. Cut some up, toss them in olive oil, garlic and herbs, roast them 45 min at 400 degrees -- and they are delicious.

Pumpkin soup is another healthy and delicious food.

I love sweet potatoes! Yummy! I will try roasting them. Sounds great.

Can you share your recipe for pumpkin soup? I've never had that.

Nakia - Here is a recipe i have used for pumpkin soup http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=783555 I often sub the regular potatoes for sweet potatoes. I always use Butternut Pumpkins, i think you call them squash. They have a much sweeter flavour and make a much better soup than the watery pumpkins like Jap and Blues. This soup ends up very thick and we always serve with fresh crusty bread rolls for dipping. Enjoy :)

I love sweet potatoes! Yummy! I will try roasting them. Sounds great.

Can you share your recipe for pumpkin soup? I've never had that.

Nakia,

Here's our favorite recipe for pumpkin soup. I go very light on the brown sugar and usually skip the cream to make it healthier; just adjust the amount of broth to the consistency you like. It still tastes great and freezes well.

I also lighten up on the spices when I know the kids will be eating it.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_pumpkin_soup/

Carolyn

Nakia - Here is a recipe i have used for pumpkin soup http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=783555 I often sub the regular potatoes for sweet potatoes. I always use Butternut Pumpkins, i think you call them squash. They have a much sweeter flavour and make a much better soup than the watery pumpkins like Jap and Blues. This soup ends up very thick and we always serve with fresh crusty bread rolls for dipping. Enjoy :)

Nakia,

Here's our favorite recipe for pumpkin soup. I go very light on the brown sugar and usually skip the cream to make it healthier; just adjust the amount of broth to the consistency you like. It still tastes great and freezes well.

I also lighten up on the spices when I know the kids will be eating it.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_pumpkin_soup/

Carolyn

Thank you both!!

Turkish lentil soup:

Grate a potato, an onion, and a carrot (or two, depending on size). Saute in a little olive oil. Add red lentils (about a cup or so), water, add a little salt, pepper to taste. Cook until everything is mushy and the soup is thick. Puree in either a blender or food processor (or use an immersion blender if you have one).

Serve with a dollop of yogurt and crushed mint, or pepper oil, or whatever you feel inclined to add. You don't need the yogurt for it to seem creamy. It's completely vegetarian.

YUM!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Thanks guys! We definitely need to eat more sweet potato, pumpkin and other fall veggies.

I still can't find my recipe. I loved that darn salad!

Split pea soup -- we are making some right now and it smells divine! Can't wait to eat it with some crusty bread.

You might want the recipe:

1 lb. dried split peas

8 C. water (or chicken broth)

1 onion chopped

2 cloves garlic

1 tbsp olive oil

salt & pepper to taste

1 tsp marjoram

3 stalks celery - chopped

3 carrots - chopped

1 potato - chopped

Saute the onion and garlic in the oil. (I add some chopped ham in at this step too - but of course you don't need meat in it.) Mix in the seasonings. Add the peas and the water. Bring to boil, then turn down heat and let simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Add celery, carrots, and potato. Simmer 45 min - 1 hour. Serve when veggies are tender. I simmer mine all day, but it could be ready earlier.

Edited by BramFam
added the recipe

Pumpkin Pie!

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Rosie, this may be a terminology problem (i have been through this before with friends on the internet). Americans do not call all squashes pumpkins. Only the round orange type are called pumpkins. We have other names-zucchini, squash, etc for other types. Butternut/acorn/spaghetti/summer squash.

Rosie, have you ever HAD pumpkin pie? I've got a great recipe, if you're feeling adventurous. It really is delicious.

Of course I haven't! I'm Australian!

(When someone on here gives me a vegan pumpkin pie recipe, I will make it.)

Rosie, this may be a terminology problem (i have been through this before with friends on the internet). Americans do not call all squashes pumpkins. Only the round orange type are called pumpkins. We have other names-zucchini, squash, etc for other types. Butternut/acorn/spaghetti/summer squash.

Oh yeah, I always forget that. So does that mean you can't make pumpkin pie out of butternuts? Bummer. I have faith that someone on this board has a vegan pumpkin pie recipe and I have a butternut pumpkin(or squash if you prefer) sitting in a box on my bench.

:)

Rosie

(When someone on here gives me a vegan pumpkin pie recipe, I will make it.)

Rosie

Rosie,

I've never made this, or even tasted it, but when someone has a request, I like to fill it.

http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/pumpkin-pie.html

This one actually does sound good to me: http://veganconnection.com/recipes//pumpkin_pie.htm

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I found it! I found it!

It was something I modified from one of my salad cookbooks (was a tabbouleh but I changed it because I only had couscous). We could not stop eating this stuff. DS4 loved it so much he had 3 servings and we all shared the rest for lunch the next day, which was amazing because my kids typically do not eat leftovers well.

Couscous Salad

2 cups dry couscous, prepared

2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed

3/4 c. fresh lemon juice

2 Tbs. olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 c. finely chopped red onion

5 c. chopped tomato

1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley

1/2 c. chopped fresh mint

1/2 c. chopped fresh dill

2 c. chopped seeded cucumber

salt and pepper to taste

Just put it in a giant bowl and mix it all up. :D

If you make it, do get the fresh herbs. They completely make this salad. :drool:

Of course I haven't! I'm Australian!

Oh yeah, I always forget that. So does that mean you can't make pumpkin pie out of butternuts? Bummer. I have faith that someone on this board has a vegan pumpkin pie recipe and I have a butternut pumpkin(or squash if you prefer) sitting in a box on my bench.

:)

Rosie

You can make it with butternut squash, as long as it's meaty, not watery and stringy. I love pumpkin pie filling. I make mine with coconut milk, but I do use eggs, so no tried and true vegan recipe here.

I love this soup because the kids dig in never dreaming that they are eating onions, garlics and bell peppers.

Tomato Soup

3 very ripe tomatoes (when I'm in a hurry I use canned whole tomatoes; tastes exactly the same)

2 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 red pepper, finely chopped

4 cups chicken broth

1/4 cup tomato paste

1/4 cup of sugar (I always skip this and it tastes just fine)

pinch of salt

1/4 cup of basil, chopped

1 cup of cooked shell noodles

1. Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for two minutes; peel them and discard the seeds

2. Heat the oil in a pot; cook the onions, garlic, and pepper until soft about 10 minutes

3. Add the tomatoes

4. Add the stock, paste, sugar, and salt. Cover and simmer for fifteen minutes. (usually I do all this much then put it in the fridge and finish the next day) Allow it to cool slightly then blend until smooth. Return to pan and heat gently with the pasta.

5. Add the basil right before eating

It's soo good

Rosie,

I've never made this, or even tasted it, but when someone has a request, I like to fill it.

This one actually does sound good to me: http://veganconnection.com/recipes//pumpkin_pie.htm

I don't do tofu, so thanks for the tofu-free recipe. I have no idea how thick canned pumpkin is, and it beats me why I'd want to eat sugary pumpkin in a pie crust, but but you're on.

<gauntlet clangs to the floor>

Rosie (:ack2:)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I don't do tofu, so thanks for the tofu-free recipe. I have no idea how thick canned pumpkin is, and it beats me why I'd want to eat sugary pumpkin in a pie crust, but but you're on.

<gauntlet clangs to the floor>

Rosie (:ack2:)

I defy you not to like pumpkin pie! Admittedly, I could do without the crust. Still, it's delicious! Canned pumpkin is about the same consistency as stage 2 baby food, if you ever used the stuff in jars. :D

Would this count:

Choc Chip Pancakes

2 c whole wheat flour

2T mashed banana

2t baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

2 eggs

2c milk or buttermilk

4T applesauce (unsweetened)

1/4 c ground flax

1/3 c dark choc mini chips

Mix dry ingredients 1st, in a second bowl mix banana, eggs, sugar, milk, applesauce and fold into dry ingredients. Add choc chips and pour ont hot griddle per usual pancakes.

We love to make these and freeze them. My kids will grab a couple and spread on a little natural peanut or almond butter and it makes a great breakfast!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Would this count:

Choc Chip Pancakes

2 c whole wheat flour

2T mashed banana

2t baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

2 eggs

2c milk or buttermilk

4T applesauce (unsweetened)

1/4 c ground flax

1/3 c dark choc mini chips

Mix dry ingredients 1st, in a second bowl mix banana, eggs, sugar, milk, applesauce and fold into dry ingredients. Add choc chips and pour ont hot griddle per usual pancakes.

We love to make these and freeze them. My kids will grab a couple and spread on a little natural peanut or almond butter and it makes a great breakfast!

My kids would say yes! :001_smile: So, thanks!

I just made the yummiest icecream in my Cuisinart icecream maker...

3 egg whites

3 egg yolks

450ml cream

50g raw honey

beat egg whites till firm peaks...add the honey and beat again till smooth and glossy stiff peaks.

Then in a separate bowl beat cream and egg yolks together until firm peaks form.

Mix both mixtures together.

Turn Cuisinart icecream maker on, and pour in mix. Leave in ICmaker for 30 mins.

Yummy and guilt free (if you realize that fat (cream) is your friend, not an enemy). No yucky preservatives and piles of sugar that are in store-bought icecream!

~Raw yummilicious MILK chocolate (with no dairy)~

2/3 cup cashews

2/3 cup agave (I use ½ a cup)

2/3 cup cacao butter

1-2 Tbsp mesquite powder

1 tsp. vanilla

4 Tbsp. pure raw cacao powder

Liquify cacao butter in sun (it's hot enough today) or dehydrator or double boiler. In vitamix blend all of the above, and pour into molds or onto wax paper in dish or into ice cube trays. Freeze ,cut, and enjoy!

The recipe is flexible- I added a bit of coconut oil last batch. I use ice cube trays. It could be made without a blender if you left out the cashews, but it would have a much stronger, less “milky†flavour.

Here is another that I have used, but it is stronger and darker and too bitter for my kids, although I love it.

Truly Raw Chocolate

Ingredients for simple truly raw chocolate:

• 1/2 C whole peeled cacao beans, ground
  • 1/4 C raw honey or raw agave syrup
  • 1/8 C melted cacao butter (use coconut oil if not available)
  • 1/8 C coconut oil

Optional ingredients:

• 1 T almonds, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • Celtic sea salt to taste
  • 1 drop orange, lemon, clove, lavender or other essential oil
  • Cinnamon to taste

Preparation:

Grind cacao until it is very fine. The cacao will have a consistency like raw almond butter and will stick to the sides of the grinder. Mix ground cacao with coconut oil or cacao butter in grinder. Remove mixture and add honey and other ingredients. Stir well with a fork. The mixture should be able to be poured. If not, add more coconut oil. Pour into ice cube trays or other forms and freeze for 45 minutes. Serve immediately after removing from the freezer.

Psst, Rosie. Um, don't tell anyone this, but I'm totally with you. Pumpkin pie is gross (shhh, it's dh's fav. food) Now, if you don't like it, I have an amazing recipe for chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Not allowable on this thread as it has about a thousand calories per glance.

Healthy recipes - I love the cooking light mag and site. Some wonderful recipes there. Good vegetarian recipes, too (though light on vegan recipes).

Have you read the Sneaky Chef? Has lots of "hide the good stuff" recipes. I'm not a fan of doing that instead of exposing your kids to reg. fruit and veg, but I do use some of the ideas to pump up the nutritional value of some of my regular recipes.

I defy you not to like pumpkin pie! Admittedly, I could do without the crust. Still, it's delicious! Canned pumpkin is about the same consistency as stage 2 baby food, if you ever used the stuff in jars. :D

My mom actually makes pumpkin pie without the crust for her and my dad sometimes to avoid the fat. She says it's good.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Psst, Rosie. Um, don't tell anyone this, but I'm totally with you. Pumpkin pie is gross (shhh, it's dh's fav. food) Now, if you don't like it, I have an amazing recipe for chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Not allowable on this thread as it has about a thousand calories per glance.

Healthy recipes - I love the cooking light mag and site. Some wonderful recipes there. Good vegetarian recipes, too (though light on vegan recipes).

Have you read the Sneaky Chef? Has lots of "hide the good stuff" recipes. I'm not a fan of doing that instead of exposing your kids to reg. fruit and veg, but I do use some of the ideas to pump up the nutritional value of some of my regular recipes.

I'm going to ignore what you said about pumpkin pie because it's not dh's favorite either. DH's favorite pie is pecan! You're right that the recipe has no place on this thread but in about two months, you could start another thread with decadent holiday recipes! :D

I used to subscribe to Cooking Light but let it lapse. I need to pick it up again. My favorite new magazine is Clean Eating. I agree with you about not being a fan of the sneaky philosophy. My kids love fruits and veggies and I feel strongly it's because of early, daily exposure to a wide variety. I don't think there is anything wrong with incorporating healthy ingredients into recipes, but not with the goal being to hide them. I was at Kohl's recently and they had that book at the check-out so I flipped through it. I was quite shocked to see how paltry the quantity of sneaked ingredients was anyway, not enough to add substantial nutrition. I remember one recipe where they added 2 Tbs. mashed sweet potato to the whole recipe. Split that four ways and you don't have a whole lot of extra nutrition! But teach your kids to love sweet potatoes and put half of one in front of them and you'll be in much better shape. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this threat though. :D

OK, I have to go to the grocery store so I should start working on my list.

Thanks for your ideas, everyone! Peela, the chocolate recipes are fascinating! The kids would love to make some with me, although I will have to search for some of the ingredients.