Menu

Anyone started SWB's 5th grade writing program yet?

creekmom

I just got the email a couple of days ago, and I'm so excited to have my son start writing! Has anyone already started their dc with it?

*** The program is not for sale yet. I was wondering if anyone has started the "testing" of her product (1st 2 weeks).

Edited by creekmom
clarification

I'm sorry- you misunderstood. SWB posted a request (on the WTM forums) this past summer for beginning logic stage students to test her writing program. The program is not for sale yet, but I know lots of people on this forum responded to her request to test out the program.

Thanks for clarifying. Oh, darn. I was excited for a few minutes!

I just got the email a couple of days ago, and I'm so excited to have my son start writing! Has anyone already started their dc with it?

*** The program is not for sale yet. I was wondering if anyone has started the "testing" of her product (1st 2 weeks).

We did our first lesson yesterday. I'm really looking forward to todays, which starts to teach outlining. I feel like this may put feet on what we're trying to do for school this year.

Well I'll be the first to say I read through the stuff they sent us, was totally turned off by her statement TO THE STUDENT that writing is difficult, and pretty much read with a negative eye the rest. My dd struggles enough without then being told it's going to be HARD. I guess we need Joyful Writing 101. I'm not sure we'll even do the lessons.

Well I'll be the first to say I read through the stuff they sent us, was totally turned off by her statement TO THE STUDENT that writing is difficult, and pretty much read with a negative eye the rest. My dd struggles enough without then being told it's going to be HARD. I guess we need Joyful Writing 101. I'm not sure we'll even do the lessons.

(I am not part of the test group, but just reading with interest.)

I understand what you mean, however, I have found that my ds expects things to be easy for him and is very suprised and discouraged when he encounters difficulty. There is frustration, followed by tears, anger, then giving up. It has really helped to warn him ahead of time that something might be hard and that he can learn to do it, but at first he will find it difficult.

(I am not part of the test group, but just reading with interest.)

I understand what you mean, however, I have found that my ds expects things to be easy for him and is very suprised and discouraged when he encounters difficulty. There is frustration, followed by tears, anger, then giving up. It has really helped to warn him ahead of time that something might be hard and that he can learn to do it, but at first he will find it difficult.

Well there you go, a different perspective! Thanks for sharing!

Is it too late to get in on the test run? I would love to try it with dd12.

hmm, I'll second that question. I have a 10yo guy that I just started on R&S Eng 5 .. he's liking it. It's a nice change of pace from CW. However I know the writing instruction isn't the best in there. Where do we go to see if this is still open to join??

TIA

Uh oh, I must be missing something. Is that in a separate document?

The How to Help is in the teacher's document which was in the first email. (The second email was the word doc of the student pages).

We'll probably start on Monday. We also started IEW through classical conversations, so I'm a little conflicted about how much we'll actually do. But I will have both my 5th and 7th do at least the outlining!

Is it too late to get in on the test run? I would love to try it with dd12.

Same question here. I have three writers who could possibly qualify as testers.

I found the original thread and sent an email as instructed, but the thread was closed, so I would guess that she is finished accepting testers.

Oh, well....

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I didn't see the writing program in my inbox. :confused: The last email I received was on the 7th--telling me it was coming! Could someone tell me who the email was sent from and the date it came, so I can scan my spam for it?

I'm excited to see the program.

It was sent from the same address as the other emails, Patricia, and it was titled Writing Skills.

We'll start Monday too. I need a weekend to read and process. I stand in awe of you women who can receive this midweek and implement immediately! I'm struggling just to get piano practice done, kids to their activities, and get dinner on the table. Once I get it into the plan, we're good to go, but getting it into the plan takes some time.

We're starting Monday. Ds has been doing some outlining per SWB already and is actually starting to understand finding the main point in a paragraph. He's around 50% right now which is better than when we started. AND he wrote a small paper from a basic outline he did (he needed a presentation for co-op) and it was a decent paper! This whole writing thing may actually work!

Beth