Menu

Help w/ Saxon placement

blessedmom3

My suggestion is to go with Saxon 3. The first is, my littles (under 9/10) don't enjoy a huge amount of challenge, while they are inspired by knowing the answers and feeling smart. Saxon 3 should be easy enough to be confidence building, but not so easy as to be insipid. The first 30 lessons or so will be super easy. The second reason is the Saxon 3 is a workbook, while 54 is a textbook. The workbook format is generally easy for younger writers than the textbook. The third reason is that Saxon 3 will ensure the math facts have been mastered. 54 is much easier when children know their addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division tables.

HTH :001_smile:

I'm in the same place with my dd7. We went ahead and placed her in Saxon 3. So far it's all review, but it's giving us time to adjust to Saxon's way of doing things.

I agree with Saxon 3. Toward the end of the book, it has a good, concrete way of dealing with a first exposure to long division, which was the most difficult part for my kids in the K-3 series. The way the same topic is presented in Saxon 54 was, to my mind, much more rote, and expected that you brought a certain knowledge to the table. "You bring this number down, then do this, then do this, and that's the answer", without any of the reasoning of hundreds/tens/ones and exchanging a ten for ten ones, etc., behind it, which is what Saxon 3 does. That said, after Saxon 3, much of the beginning of each of the next textbooks is a lot of review that can be quickly gone over, and tested through, rather than working an entire lesson's worth of problems.

Erica in OR

I did the placement test for my son (will turn 7 tomorrow ) .

He got them all right (and fast ) for K-3 .

Missed 11 out of 20 from Math 5/4 .

Which one should he start ?

We do math facts only first (no math curriculum) and then start with Math 54 as the First math book.

I would suggest the math facts first. It helps so much later on :)

:seeya: