Menu

I want to buy a bread making machine....any suggestions?

I have 5 kids who love bread! I use a kitchen aid to make it currently which only kneads it for me....I want something to do it all!!!

And what should I expect to pay for one?

Is there something I should know about bread machines. I'm not familiar with them at all.

thx,

whitney

I have 5 kids who love bread! I use a kitchen aid to make it currently which only kneads it for me....I want something to do it all!!!

And what should I expect to pay for one?

Is there something I should know about bread machines. I'm not familiar with them at all.

thx,

whitney

Here's my advice, fwiw:

Buy one at a thrift store; I got mine for $7.

I don't use it to bake the bread in, because I pretty much end up with a 'cube' of bread. Not a loaf, but a cube. It's hard to figure out just how to serve a cube of bread. :D I run mine on the dough cycle, which mixes, rests, kneads, and rises the dough. Then, I take it out of the machine, shape it, let it rise a second time, then bake it in my oven. A bit more work, but this is the best method I've found so far for me.

I use the timer function fairly frequently. When we have a field trip, I can put the bread in the night before and have it freshly baked and ready to go first thing in the morning. Since I'm not a morning person, this is a huge help.

I also have, at times, made up "bread mixes" for myself, to make it even easier. Add the water, dump in the mix, add the yeast, and it's ready to go.

I use the dough function to make pizza dough. If I put it in as soon as we get home from an outing, it's ready to be made into dinner in an hour.

ETA: I would take a look at the capacity. I usually make a large loaf but at times a smaller one is better. "Large" is variable depending on your family size! I also like the "rapid cycle", nice for unexpected guests, like a large crowd of teens.

Of the 5 bread machines I've bought used, I've only had one dud and it cost $2. Practically every yard sale has a bread machine and I live in the sticks but when I went to Value Villiage in the big city, I know I saw two or three.

If you do buy a used one, just plug it in and make sure it heats up and the paddle spins. It could still have a flaw but those would be the two major issues to look for.

I agree with the above poster. Their real wonder is making the dough.

If you really want it just for baking bread, depending on your kiddage, you would want two. At my house we need one loaf to scarf down warm and one to eat in a reasonable manner.

I have two bread machines on my counter waiting to make pizza dough, but now I want to make yummy bread!

Ha ha that's so funny....about the scarfing down warm bread. I have 5 kids and I make 2 loaves of cinnamon bread once a week and they can't even wait for it to cool. We end up cutting it hot out of the oven and the thing gets so mangled.....

I didn't even think about buying 2...that's a thought!

thx

but don't they sell them now that make loaf sized bread vs. the cube?

If I bought one at the thrift store I'd be afraid it wouldn't work!

Your method sounds good! At this point I use my kitchen aid and it takes a little while to make bread!!

I just plugged mine in at the thrift store to make sure it turned on.

And I sure hope the new ones make a loaf, becuase I'm still baffled as to how one is supposed to use a cube of bread that's dome shaped on one side. :tongue_smilie:

No suggestions, but I have put my breadmaker away in favour of using my bench mixer (I imagine it is the same idea as your Kitchenaid).

I was finding that I was making dough in the breadmaker and then baking it in the oven as I find it gives a better loaf. I don't have the counter space to have two appliances out all the time, so the mixer won!

Min