Menu

s/o $ spent on curriculum you didn't use- why ...

creekmom

would you buy something that didn't work- twice? or even three times?? I was reading through that thread, and I was amazed at how many people ended up spending $$ on curriculum they didn't like more than once! -Not to be judgmental, bc I've spent more $$$ than I care to remember on curriculum I didn't use.... I don't think I'd buy it again though. So, I'm wondering, did a hsmom's glorious review make you rethink your decision? Was it new and improved? Did you buy it again for another dc? Just wondering...

My problem is that I keep forgetting that I may be able to use it with younger children. :)

I bought MOH I 2x and never used it (my kids were too young). Now that we are using MOH II, I wish that I'd used MOH I last year... I just couldn't stomach buying it a 3rd time.

Yep, I've done that. Some things were a total disaster with an older child, then a younger one comes along and "X" curriculum (which I sold in disgust a few years ago:glare:) seems as though it may be a perfect fit with this completely different child! I should just hang on to everything... But sometimes I just want my money back, ya know!:)

While I've made a lot of mistakes w/curricula buying, buying an item twice hasn't been one of them. But, I can completely see how that happens. Some programs (CW comes to mind) are too teacher intensive at certain times of my homeschooling career. I can see selling it, only to have time on my hands to do it justice. I have yet to sell any of my mistakes b/c I don't feel like dealing w/the hassle of posting/mailing/etc. One day I'll do a major resale event (of course everything will be old editions and no one will want them).

Laura

Laura

I think when you come to a different place in your HSing journey you may be able to use something that you previously thought no way. I bought and sold BFSU and have just bought it again. I am in a different place now. Now i have the tools to implement it where in the beginning i was just overwhelmed with a smarty pants i was trying desperately to keep up with at the same time as learning all about HSing.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

The only thing I'll likely buy twice is MOTL. It wasn't working for my dd (she wants to do multiple worksheets/day, not only 5 problems/day), I wouldn't be needing it for several years, needed some expensive history curriculum for my high school children and MOTL has a pretty good resale value so I sold it to pay for what I needed at the time.

Yep, so, I'm one of those people.

For me... there was one main thing that I really wanted to work. I kept talking myself back into it, buying different levels (knowing my kids were older, more mature) etc.

Live and learn!

Now I've done that--I bought SL LA K, it didn't work out & we dropped it after 6 weeks. The next year I tried LA 1, but it didn't work again, we dropped it after 8 weeks.

I bought it a third time (LA 3) a few years later, and that actually worked out pretty well, and we used most of it. I would consider it again in the future. I've never found a really good fit in a LA program, so I have tried some various things.

I don't think I've ever repurchased the same exact thing after it didn't work though. But I also don't have littles coming up behind--my kids are only 2 years apart, so I either hang onto it for a year or two just in case, or I can tell it won't work for the younger right away, and I sell it or give it away.

Merry :-)

I bought and sold one My Father's World program TWICE and then went on to buy additional packages from My Father's World and ended up selling all of those also. I guess I really wanted to make it work because the idea of combining my children in one program sounded comforting and they do use some materials that I already love. But, overall, obviously, it wasn't what I was looking for. Yes, so many glowing reviews from other moms definately made me scratch my head on multiple occasions, wondering why it just did not work for me. I think it would make my life easier if it would work :D. That was a big motivation.

Hey MaryLadd,

I think people who sell a curriculum and then buy it back later for a different child or just for another try are smarter than me.

I buy one to try, read about another one and get it, and then hear about another one from my fellow curricula junkie sister-in-law (MaryLadd:001_smile:) and before I know it my shelves are full of curricula that seem to be saying, 'Use different parts of us to make the ultimate curriculum.' Instead of being able to masterfully do that, (with five kids 11 down to 3yrs - I am just not that good) I freeze with indecision and fret about what to do.

My goal now is to make a decision for each child and their subjects and sell the rest. If I end up buying something again down the road that's O.K. At least I won't feel like I should somehow be using what's on my shelves in some constructive way since I spent money on it. KWIM?:tongue_smilie:

Good Question, Sweetie!

Kiss my brilliant neices and nephews goodnight for me!:grouphug:

Judy

Hey MaryLadd,

I think people who sell a curriculum and then buy it back later for a different child or just for another try are smarter than me.

I buy one to try, read about another one and get it, and then hear about another one from my fellow curricula junkie sister-in-law (MaryLadd:001_smile:) and before I know it my shelves are full of curricula that seem to be saying, 'Use different parts of us to make the ultimate curriculum.' Instead of being able to masterfully do that, (with five kids 11 down to 3yrs - I am just not that good) I freeze with indecision and fret about what to do.

My goal now is to make a decision for each child and their subjects and sell the rest. If I end up buying something again down the road that's O.K. At least I won't feel like I should somehow be using what's on my shelves in some constructive way since I spent money on it. KWIM?:tongue_smilie:

Good Question, Sweetie!

Kiss my brilliant neices and nephews goodnight for me!:grouphug:

Judy

:lol: I know you will make a wise decision about what to keep and what to sell. BTW, give me a call before you sell it- I might want to buy it from you! :D