Menu

Singapore Math vs. Math in Focus??

gfengel

I just stumbled upon some information about Math in Focus. Has anyone ever used it? I know it uses the Singapore model, but is it better than the materials directly from Singapore Math?

My ds and dd are using Singapore Math 2B and 1B, respectively. I find that my daughter is flying through the material, but my son has become bogged down with what we are doing. (We have just really started to delve into regrouping and he seems to be struggling with the concept.) I was wondering if Math in Focus might be a better fit for him.

Any opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thank you! Gayle

Edited by gfengel
Added my name!

Laura and MissKNG,

Thank you both for your insight!! Wow, Laura, you gave a REALLY thorough breakdown of all three programs! Thank you for that! It made things a lot clearer for me ad I think I very well may switch to the MIF.

I appreciate both of your thoughts! :) Gayle

Laura and MissKNG,

Thank you both for your insight!! Wow, Laura, you gave a REALLY thorough breakdown of all three programs! Thank you for that! It made things a lot clearer for me ad I think I very well may switch to the MIF.

I appreciate both of your thoughts! :) Gayle

How about simply augmenting SM with MIF? I have found that using 2 math programs works well. The heurisitcs in SM are very, very good and hard to beat.

Karin, That is a thought, too. Of course, right after I asked the forum question, both of my dc started to sail through Singapore with no problems at all! Maybe it was just a little 'glitch in the system!' I guess we're just going to keep plugging away on the SM and I will keep MIF in mind if we have major problems in the future.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Gayle:001_smile:

• 3 years later...
Guest valborga

Hello everyone,

I know this is an older thread, but I'm looking into Singapore Math vs Math In Focus. Honey Maker Bee, I cannot open the link you posted. If you or anyone who is familiar with these curriculums could reply here I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,

V.

Do a search and you should be able to find several indepth threads regarding the two.  I have MiF.  I have not used Singapore but a friend has it so I have skimmed through it.  MiF seems a bit easier to implement from my perspective.  I was able to buy the textbook, TM, support workbooks, etc. used but in like new condition.  But the systems are very similar in philosophy.  As I understand it, MiF is the American version of Singapore.  Again, though, do a search and you should find several threads that will go into more depth and hopefully be of more use to you.

Best wishes and good luck!