Menu

Help! Frustrated with....TYPING!

Handmaiden

My 13yo has been using Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing for the last year or so. He has been doing the drills and games about 3-4x a week, and never seemed to progress past 16-18 wpm.

I finally figured out why. I watched him type the other day, and he is typing with all WRONG finger placements! ARGH!! And this habit has set in pretty badly. He has a number of online classes, and I've been watching him do his assignments and post on the boards, and he is so slow and inefficient because of his crazy typing. He also makes a ton of spelling errors because of it.

I don't know how to go about remediating this. Any ideas???

I think the only thing to do is start the drills over with correct finger placement.

We (well not we, my DD) are using Typing Instructor and she has progressed from 8 to 23 WPM in a couple of weeks. The lessons show correct finger placement and I watch her periodically to make sure she is completing the lessons that way. She was previously a hunt and peck typer and did have some bad habits to break. It takes some time and patience, but like any bad habit can be relearned with enough practice.