Menu

Modern foreign language only?

FWIW, many graduation requirements of "2 years of foreign language" means a modern foreign language. No Latin, Klingon :p or ASL allowed.

You might want to rethink the Latin just for that reason alone: it might not "count".

I was surprised to see this. I was JUST researching this online, because my dd wanted to drop Spanish in favor of Greek, Latin, and ASL for foreign language credits. I couldn't find anything that said these languages could NOT count, and a few things that specifically said they could count.

Can someone point me to where it says they cannot? I don't want to mess up dd's college entrance when she's ready to go.

My oldest is in public school. She is taking her 3rd year of Latin and her 2nd year of Sign Language this year. Her school is a magnet school for deaf students so their Sign Language program is excellent - they actually get frequent interactions with deaf students and learn about deaf culture.

She is a junior this year so has been researching colleges. NYU and Rutgers are two larger schools that she has looked into - both will accept Latin and Sign Language for the language requirement.

I am a part-time teacher at a private Classical Christian school where all high school students are required to study foreign language for four years. At this time our students have two choices, either French or Latin, so many of our graduates are solid in their Latin studies.

We have nearly a 100% rate of students progressing on to higher education at colleges and universities all over the country, and to the best of my knowledge, this issue has not been a problem.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Both of my dd were accepted to college. One had Latin and the other Hebrew. The public schoosl here offers Latin and I hear that many other schools are starting Latin programs as well. I think that most colleges will accept any language and while the service academies might only accept modern languages, my guess would be that they would accept a much wide variety of them as they need people that speak almost all languages.

It is all dependent on both your state's graduation requirements and the colleges to which your dc aspire to attend. I was simply admonishing the OP of that thread that she should check before she commits to 1.5 years of Latin to then discover that it wouldn't be applicable for her dc. I only posted that advisement because there was no other foreign language on her eldest's schedule. I also advised her to consider continuing whatever language the dc had already begun and for which had earned a half credit already. It's better to look before you leap. :p

Also, I don't about your state, but here the 2 years of foreign language have to be two years of the same language. The child's 0.5 credit in a foreign language will not count at all unless the remaining 1.5 credits are the same language.

Edited by dansamy

It is all dependent on both your state's graduation requirements and the colleges to which your dc aspire to attend. I was simply admonishing the OP of that thread that she should check before she commits to 1.5 years of Latin to then discover that it wouldn't be applicable for her dc. I only posted that advisement because there was no other foreign language on her eldest's schedule. I also advised her to consider continuing whatever language the dc had already begun and for which had earned a half credit already. It's better to look before you leap. :p

Also, I don't about your state, but here the 2 years of foreign language have to be two years of the same language. The child's 0.5 credit in a foreign language will not count at all unless the remaining 1.5 credits are the same language.

Thanks. I hope my tone wasn't taken the wrong way, I was geniunely curious. We are in Texas...so there are no high school requirements. I've been more concerned with college requirements than state.

Also, she'll have at least 2 years of Greek, possibly 4, so no worries there. I don't know about Latin and ASL yet...we are looking at those as more electives than anything at the moment.

My research shows it really varies. For competitive schools you might need 3 or 4 years of the same language. Some schools want modern others are more flexible. For those starting highschool it's good to take a look at a bunch of potential college requirements before planning out your 4 year schedule.

Ok. I'm feeling better about it now.

She's not going into the military. I doubt she could make it in, even if she wanted to.

She's not going to any major competitive universities, unless she drastically changes in the next few years. It will probably be a state school, or seminary. Realistically, she may not go at all, but wants to be a librarian so she'll need something I'm sure.

So given our likely choices, we should be ok.

Realistically, she may not go at all, but wants to be a librarian so she'll need something I'm sure.

Oh yes, definitely college for a librarian--usually a significant difference in pay for those with degrees. These days they are Information Scientists (or something like that) what with so much info being passed through the internet.

Glad you're settled on your foreign language, though.

Cinder