Menu

Health?

LaurainMD

Grrr, apparently I am supposed to be teaching Health. This is a total joke because of course, as a mom, I am *constantly* teaching Health! Nutrition, handwashing, etc. But I will somehow have to document this for our bi-annual review. Any ideas? Or is there a quick-and-dirty workbook-type curriculum we can do and be done with it?

:bigear:

Horizons also has an easy-to-use & short workbook. Check the "health" link at the bottom of the page & choose by grade level.

I just make note of books we've read on the subject & any hands-on stuff we did that year. I have a baby about every other year which covers a lot of "child development" and on 'off years' I'm usually potty training which involves a LOT of hygiene. We tend to do at least one "nutrition" discussion, so I include a drawing of the food pyramid (done by the children, of course).

I know what you mean about the constant 'real-life' health curriculum that you are constantly putting into practice. ;)

Could you just have a notebook that you jot down the discussions, demonstrations etc that you have/give as part of life, then when it is review time just type out all the things you've covered in your everyday life, make it look official, and there is your real-life curriculum right there on paper.

Here is a little of what I wrote in my official program this year:

"I aim to develop a 'lifestyle attitude' towards exercise and outdoor play so that the children understand that it is an important part of our overall health and well-being. ........

We also regularly discuss healthy eating issues and try to reinforce a healthy lifestyle. Growing our own organic vegetables this year has been a good opportunity to learn more about this and it has been good to see the children take an interest in the vegatables we have grown. We will continue this in the coming year/season."

etc.

You could go on to list topics you have discussed, healthy recipes tried etc etc. This way you don't have to actually buy, and find time for, another actual curriculum.

Hope this helps.

Last year for "Health" (with my 9 y/o 4th grade daughter), we read:

The Care & Keeping Of You, The Body Book For Girls

and

The Care & Keeping Of Your Emotions.

Both were by American Girl Library.

We also visited a dietician at a local hospital as a homeschool group event, and she talked about nutrition, and we attended a "Healthy Eating Tour" at a local supermarket (more for the younger kids).

When I file my portfolio each year, I include a "Summary," summing up the types of things that we did for each required subject (health being one of the "required subjects."

For that, I said:

"We used “The Care & Keeping Of You, The Body Book For Girls†and “The Feelings Book, The Care & Keeping Of Your Emotions†for our Health curriculum this year.

We discuss the importance of proper nutrition and food groups (we also did a study on Nutrition as part of our Science curriculum this year and around that same time, our homeschool group met with a dietician at a local hospital). We also participated in a “Healthy Eating Tour†at Giant Supermarket.

We discuss the importance of getting enough rest and fresh air and exercise, brushing teeth and other personal hygiene, and we have age appropriate conversations on the dangers of cigarette, alcohol and drug use.

Alexa sees her medical doctor, eye doctor and dentist regularly."

I see you are in Maryland. I am also, and was having the same issue!! We don't have to do a review this year, but looking forward... I wasn't planning on doing an official "health" curriculum. I mean, we learn about "health" just by living!!

ugh. But anyways, my plan is to do a couple of unit studies. Read some books, do some worksheets, maybe do some sort of hands on project a couple times throughout the year. Maybe 6 weeks total over the entire year.

Then I'll just keep the list of books, a couple worksheets, and pictures of the hands on projects to throw in the portfolio.

Thanks for the links! I feel like we do so much, but the need to document everything just exhausts me. "As we made oat bran muffins, we talked about the importance of eating healthful food to keep our bodies strong." Can I just take a bunch of pictures of DD's organic vegetable garden she's been working on all year?? Documentation is going to be the death of me. ;)