Menu

Oh my.... My curriculum list from the WTM is going to cost HOW MUCH???

$1100!!! For 6 children, grades 1, 2, 8, two in 9, and 11. I could cry, we were so not prepared for that. If I had known at tax return time we would make the decision to pull them all out, I would have set some aside. I just never envisioned that our start up would be so much. Now I am trying to decide how I can split it up, without having anyone too far behind. If anybody has any ideas that won't compromise the curriculum too much, I'd LOVE to hear it. I am giving myself a pretty hefty headache trying to figure it all out....

Thanks so much,

What are you looking to buy? Have you checked for used curriculum? How 'bout Rainbow Resources? There are several ways you can try to lower the cost. If we know what you're looking at using, we might be able to come up with some helpful ideas. However, even if that is the BEST price, it's still less than 200 a kid, right?

Sometimes when I figure my per kid spending, it makes me feel better. :)

Is that new prices? I bought a lot of my stuff used off of here and Amazon, but it does take a lot of time to look and price match and wait for items. But I still spent about $200(?) for one DD (actually more as we are switching up some curriculum)

If you look at the bright side of being able to resell or pass on down to the next kiddos, maybe that will help :)

That's actually pretty good for the grades you are mentioning. A lot of people on these boards would be happy for that amount for that many kiddos with 3 kids in high school. Just a perspective.

Beth

:iagree:I won't say what I spend on one.

If you list what you're looking at we might be able to help you find cheaper alternatives.

(1) Buy Used

(2) Calculate what you need for math for all the kids, and start with that......older kids first. You can copy worksheets from websites for free for the younger kids.

(3) Calculate what you need for Literature for older kids and Reading for younger kids. Use the library when possible. You will be able to use the library and internet (if you cannot purchase what you need) for the older kids - there are tons of study guides/discussion guides on line and you can get the books from the library. For Reading, calculate what you need for Reading for the younger kids and figure out a way to get their reading program started. And, remember, reading to them is always cost free - just takes time, and there is nothing like it for them.

(4) Calculate what you need for History for the olders -- get what you can used and from the library. For the younger, until you can purchase what you need for them, proceed with your plan using internet sources and library sources.

Buy used when you can. Make sure everyone is doing something -- Math, Language Arts, Literature, Reading, History. Science (older kids especially).

(5) Calculate what you need for Science for the olders and then do what I've written in #4.

The important thing is to get started -- re-do what it all will cost. If you don't have in $$$$ what your list says you need, then re-do your list.

Good Luck!

That's actually pretty good for the grades you are mentioning. A lot of people on these boards would be happy for that amount for that many kiddos with 3 kids in high school. Just a perspective.

Beth

:iagree: But, if you don't have it, you don't have it, and that's all there is. This amt would definitely be an investment, considering the age spread of her kids because they youngers can always use the olders' books, but to start, it can be a scary price (I think my first car cost half that :lol:). It doesn't need to be that much. AND she can just get the basics this month and next month add another subject and then the next month another and so on - no one will melt.

Op, it's okay. You can work it out.

Wow, thank you all for such quick responses. I didn't expect the feedback to be quite so fast. My 4 yr old had just woke up, so I was spending some time with her. I do have all the books written down by subject as well as where to buy and prices, but it will take me a bit to get them all written up and posted for you. I figure about 20 minutes or so.

Thank you all so much!!

You have some good tips and advice, plus a bit of perspective. ;) $1100 for that many kids with 3 in or on the verge of high school is less than $200 a piece. That is very good. Really, it is.

You can still whittle it down, and even space out some expenses... it just takes a little more time and effort.

It is hard to give advice w/o a bit more info, so we can all only answer in a sort of general way. You might have to sacrifice the "ideal" curriculum for an "adequate" curriculum, if the price is radically different. Most curriculum is very similar anyway... You just need to prioritize and think, think, think.

Scour used boards, ask people you know if you can borrow some things, join a HS group, (do you have a free cycle group in your area?) and utilize your library! There are even a few books about "homeschooling on a shoestring" and "writing a free or low cost curriculum". It can be done. :D

Don't stress out! We have all been there!

afterpost: Sorry we were typing at the same time. Ignore my soon to be irrelevant part, when you post your list.

Edited by radiobrain

If you're involved in any local homeschool groups, ask to borrow nonconsumable texts just to get started. If someone used SOTW volume 1 last year, they might let you borrow the text and activity guide for the year (just make sure you take really good care of it!!) because they've moved on to volume 2. Science texts, some phonics texts (like OPGTR or Phonics Pathways), Saxon or Singapore math texts, too. That way you could just buy consumable stuff and save some of the text purchases for 6 months from now.

Um....that's cheap. I regularly spend $2,500 per year. I've spent close to that for this school year (2010-2011) and I only have two homeschooling now (oldest is graduated). If I could get away with $1100 for that many kiddos, I'd be :party:

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

11th grade-

Foreign language:

Latin Road to English Grammar

Rainbow Resources $149

Science:

Chemistry: Concepts & Problems Self Teaching

Rainbow Resources $16

Writing:

Writing Strands 4 (still not sure if this might be too far below his level)

Rainbow Resources $16.75

Vocabulary:

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

Rainbow Resources $10.80

Teacher's Guide $15.75

Logic: (because he has had no formal logic, so he can't start Rhetoric)

Traditional Logic

Rainbow Resources $64

Spelling:

Spelling Workout D (REALLY not sure about this for an 11th grader)

Rainbow Resources $12

(not sure what this is, maybe a Teacher Guide) $12.50

Math:

Saxon Algebra II (this is what he tested at on the Saxon placement tests)

Rainbow Resources $94

Grammar:

Rod & Staff: Communicating Effectively

Rod & Staff $36.50

History:

~I have not yet decided his course. Per the WTM he should be doing Late Renaissance/Early Modern, but I really wanted to work on the Constitution and founding documents in depth this year. And then finish up by working on Civics/Ecomonics/Government next year.

9th grade-

Foreign Language:

SEE ABOVE

Science:

Biology: A Self Teaching Guide

Rainbow Resources $16

Writing:

SEE ABOVE, at the end of the book in the Chapter 47: Final Words, Starting in the Middle, it says that all older students should start there.

Vocabulary:

SEE ABOVE, same thing as note above.

Logic:

SEE ABOVE, again... lol

Spelling:

SEE ABOVE

Math:

Saxon Algebra I for one student

Rainbow Resources $94

Saxon Algebra 1/2 for the other

Christian Book $64? (it varies depending on package)

Grammar:

Rod & Staff: Building Securely

Rod & Staff $46.30

History:

History of the Ancient World

Rainbow $23.25

Art: (this is something one of the kids would like to specialize in)

Annotated Mona Lisa

Amazon $15.63

Story of Painting

Amazon $37.80

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Amazon $21.56

8th grade-

Foreign Language:

SEE ABOVE

Writing:

SEE ABOVE

Vocabulary:

SEE ABOVE

Logic:

Critical Thinking Book 1 (&2 later)

Rainbow Resources $23 and $10

Spelling:

SEE ABOVE

Math:

I have!! YAY!! LOL

Grammar:

Rod & Staff: Progressing with Courage

Rod & Staff $46.50

History:

The Civil War

Jackdaw $57.80

Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

Amazon $19.79

Critical Thinking in U.S. History Book 3 (&4 later)

Rainbow Resources $18

Science: (to start)

Backyard Ballistics

Rainbow $13.50

*Of course I will add new experiments as we finish the other ones up.

2cnd grade-

Spelling:

Spelling Workout B

Christian Book $11.50

Grammar:

First Language Lessons

Rainbow Resources $13.25

History:

Story of the World

Rainbow Resources $13.25

Activity Book $27.25

Writing:

Copywork, which I already have.

Math:

I was going to use Saxon 2, until I read today that anything under 4 is kind of pointless and can actually hold them back. Anyway, that was found at Rainbow Resources for $60.

Science:

First Animal Encyclopedia

Barnes & Noble $12.23

Kingfisher 1st Human Body Encyclopedia

Rainbow Resources $12.85

Green Thumbs

Rainbow Resources $11.95

1st grade-

Spelling:

Spelling Workout A

Christian Book $11.49

Grammar:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

History:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

Writing:

(this was blank, I guess I hadn't decided on one...)

Math:

Workbooks, and sheets I already have from last year

Science:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

Reading:

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

Amazon $19.77

Flash Cards

Peace Hill Press $5.95

As far as hunting things down for the cheapest prices online, I think I did fairly good. I do have an Educator card with Barnes and Noble too, so that takes 20% off. And some places offer free shipping with orders over a certain amount. There are other things to consider too. I still need an Atlas ($2-9), Thesaurus ($12.25 at Rainbow Resources), Dictionary ($16-20), and a few things the WTM mentions. In the that list would be Dorling Kindersley Visual Encyclopedia of Science ($2 at textbooks.com), Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia ($22.50 at rainbow resources), Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science, Physics, Chemistry and Biology Facts ($15 at Amazon), and World of Faith ($23.50 at Rainbow Resources). I have a lot of supplies, though I still need a few more binders and have yet to get the 3" expensive ones WTM mentions. I need 4. The whole list is a bit overwhelming, but add to that the total cost, and well.... yeah :banghead:

Thank you all for your help. If you have any further questions.... I'll be around :)

:iagree: But, if you don't have it, you don't have it, and that's all there is. This amt would definitely be an investment, considering the age spread of her kids because they youngers can always use the olders' books, but to start, it can be a scary price (I think my first car cost half that :lol:). It doesn't need to be that much. AND she can just get the basics this month and next month add another subject and then the next month another and so on - no one will melt.

Op, it's okay. You can work it out.

Thank you. I see everyone saying what a steal that is, and that may be- I realize this. BUT when you are on a one family income with 7 total kids in the home, no savings, and no credit cards, what are you supposed to do?? Like i said if I had known beforehand we'd make this choice I would have planned better. But it is what it is, and I am just concerned about not losing precious school time and being behind again this year with even more kids then last.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions....I'll add my comments in blue

11th grade-

Foreign language:

Rainbow Resources $149

Science:

Rainbow Resources $16 (what about experiments. If you're going to count this as a lab science you'll need that)

Writing:

Rainbow Resources $16.75

Vocabulary:

Rainbow Resources $10.80

Teacher's Guide $15.75

Traditional Logic

Rainbow Resources $64

Spelling:

Rainbow Resources $12

Math:

Rainbow Resources $94

Grammar:

Rod & Staff $36.50

History:

~I have not yet decided his course. Per the WTM he should be doing Late Renaissance/Early Modern, but I really wanted to work on the Constitution and founding documents in depth this year. And then finish up by working on Civics/Ecomonics/Government next year.

9th grade-

Foreign Language:

SEE ABOVE

Science:

Rainbow Resources $16

Writing:

SEE ABOVE, at the end of the book in the Chapter 47: Final Words, Starting in the Middle, it says that all older students should start there.

Vocabulary:

Logic:

SEE ABOVE, again... lol

Spelling:

SEE ABOVE

Math:

Rainbow Resources $94

Grammar:

Rod & Staff $46.30

History:

Rainbow $23.25 (check price on amazon, might be cheaper there)

Annotated Mona Lisa

Amazon $15.63

Story of Painting

Amazon $37.80

Amazon $21.56

8th grade-

Foreign Language:

SEE ABOVE

Writing:

SEE ABOVE

Vocabulary:

SEE ABOVE

Logic:

Critical Thinking Book 1 (&2 later) (I would probably skip this and do traditional logic as well)

Spelling:

SEE ABOVE

Math:

I have!! YAY!! LOL

Grammar:

Rod & Staff $46.50 (R&S can be reused with additional students, good investment)

History:

The Civil War

Jackdaw $57.80 (I would probably skip. Do a search for reviews from here, can find similar information online or for cheaper)

Amazon $19.79

Rainbow Resources $18

Backyard Ballistics (check library)

Rainbow $13.50

2cnd grade-

Spelling:

Spelling Workout B

Christian Book $11.50

Grammar:

First Language Lessons

Rainbow Resources $13.25

History:

Story of the World

Rainbow Resources $13.25

Activity Book $27.25

Writing:

Math:

I was going to use Saxon 2, until I read today that anything under 4 is kind of pointless and can actually hold them back. Anyway, that was found at Rainbow Resources for $60. (I would use worksheets from online or an inexpensive workbook)

Science:

Barnes & Noble $12.23

Rainbow Resources $12.85

Green Thumbs

Rainbow Resources $11.95

1st grade-

Spelling:

Spelling Workout A

Christian Book $11.49

Grammar:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

History:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

Writing:

Math:

Science:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

Reading:

Amazon $19.77

Flash Cards

Peace Hill Press $5.95

As far as hunting things down for the cheapest prices online, I think I did fairly good. I do have an Educator card with Barnes and Noble too, so that takes 20% off. And some places offer free shipping with orders over a certain amount. There are other things to consider too. I still need an Atlas ($2-9), Thesaurus ($12.25 at Rainbow Resources), Dictionary ($16-20), and a few things the WTM mentions. In the that list would be Dorling Kindersley Visual Encyclopedia of Science ($2 at textbooks.com), Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia ($22.50 at rainbow resources), Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science, Physics, Chemistry and Biology Facts ($15 at Amazon), and World of Faith ($23.50 at Rainbow Resources). I have a lot of supplies, though I still need a few more binders and have yet to get the 3" expensive ones WTM mentions. I need 4. The whole list is a bit overwhelming, but add to that the total cost, and well.... yeah :banghead:

Thank you all for your help. If you have any further questions.... I'll be around :)

First thing I would do is see if there is a homeschool bookstore near you. Some of these items could be purchased used at a good savings. I know there is one in Houston, I spent hours in there earlier this year. Another thing I do is purchase bits and pieces throughout the year. I splurged on amazon prime membership and order many things through the year.

Good luck, I know about not having it, we don't use credit cards either. If you have any thrift stores near you, I'd check there for texts and literature, I've had some great success in the past.

Something else you may want to consider. Pick up what you can afford, picking and choosing to get the most for your money. Then double or triple up on the lessons for those subjects while saving up for the next chunk of curriculum. Other than Math and probably Latin, you can get away with blocking many of those courses. Finish say, Grammar in 3-4 months before starting Vocabulary or whatever. So you are buying the subjects only as needed. Teens and preteens do particularly well with this as they would often rather spend more time on something each day and then have something new to look forward to. Latin is a nice extra, even though actually in our house it has become a core subject, but when you are first starting out you can back burner it for 6 months or a year and not miss anything. You could also plan to school shorter days and then go all the way thorough the summer (maybe taking off 3 weeks or so in August) to finish up. Think outside the linear schoolday box and you can make it work.

I was also going to chime in with...public school supplies, books, and fees would probably be at least as expensive. At least here you're in control.:grouphug:

Barb

In addition to the advice already given, for sure you need to check the for sale boards here - so many of the things you listed get sold daily for half the retail asking price (especially the Saxon Math). Another thing is to do an exhaustive search at your library, especially for history resources. If your library doesn't have it (where you can usually keep it anywhere from 3-4 months with renewals), you can almost always find resources via interlibrary loan. Regarding high school spelling (actually, for the 8th,9th,11th graders together) - I would opt for a latin root program at this age, and your LREG should cover that aspect, along with you checking their written essays (make a log of misspelled words and go over it with them). Re Logic, I would suggest grouping your 8th, 9th and 11th grader together for the Traditional Logic.

And you don't need a book for each kid who is sharing - one can make it's rounds with copies of any workbook pages (or you may want to invest in separate workbooks, depending on copying costs where you live); the kids just need to be patient and wait their turn.

Edited by LauraGB

Something else you may want to consider. Pick up what you can afford, picking and choosing to get the most for your money. Then double or triple up on the lessons for those subjects while saving up for the next chunk of curriculum. Other than Math and probably Latin, you can get away with blocking many of those courses. Finish say, Grammar in 3-4 months before starting Vocabulary or whatever. So you are buying the subjects only as needed. Teens and preteens do particularly well with this as they would often rather spend more time on something each day and then have something new to look forward to. Latin is a nice extra, even though actually in our house it has become a core subject, but when you are first starting out you can back burner it for 6 months or a year and not miss anything. You could also plan to school shorter days and then go all the way thorough the summer (maybe taking off 3 weeks or so in August) to finish up. Think outside the linear schoolday box and you can make it work.

I was also going to chime in with...public school supplies, books, and fees would probably be at least as expensive. At least here you're in control.:grouphug:

Barb

I actually thought of the doubling up on some subjects to finish them sooner, and then buying the rest of the curriculum and doing the same in order to finish with some summer left. I tried to do school through the summer with just the littler ones this year and it did NOT work :( My daughter was here visiting for the summer, and there is camps and church activities, so it becomes just too chaotic and hard. I would want to be done no later then the end of June. But I had been worried about putting too much into one block. For instance math is usually one of the most detested of all the subject, just getting them to do an hour is a feat. So to ask 2 hours is going to be met with great complaint and resistance. I was also telling my husband the book schedule states that Science should be done two days a week in 90 min sessions. So to double up would mean 3 hrs!! But I guess if I am splitting the curriculum that way, I could spread it out through the 5 days because there would be less subjects as a whole to cover. It's definitely something to think about. As for Latin, it has to be core, because my eldest son is graduating next year and only has .5 credit for foreign language arts. Graduation requirements here are 2 years.

That is GREAT - I spend that for ONE kid! Double that for the two of mine most years. Consider yourself blessed!

I might if I had the money to buy it. I don't want to sound snappy or rude, but really comments like this aren't really helpful if you don't have the funds to cover it. It's like wanting to buy a house or a car and finding a STEAL but you still don't have that amount allowed in your loan, or in your bank account. It doesn't help what a great deal your getting IF you don't have it to work with, that's all I am saying. All these comments are doing is making me feel worse that it IS such a deal... a deal I can't even afford. But thanks....

I may be reading this wrong but it looks like you're planning on doing three diff. time periods at once with your kids. If that is the plan, you may want to consider picking one time period to do with all the kids, adjusting the levels for each kid. You can save money and your sanity.

I'd do the same thing with science - pick one subject. Then you can use the experiments for all the kids (or at least the upper levels can share, the middles, etc. Same with texts.)

Foreign language:

Rainbow Resources $149

(I assume this is a non-consumable you only have to buy once for the 3 children?)

Much as the goal here is to SAVE money, I'd seriously look into a modern foreign language program you can use with your olders, if they're college bound. Most likely one program can be used for all 3 of them.

Science: I would probably combine at least the 11th and 9th or 9th and 8th graders for science. It's a big time saver, and science doesn't have to be taught in a particular order. My only reservation would be if the chemistry course had math the younger ones couldn't handle.

Writing:

Rainbow Resources $16.75

I'd have reservations about this, too, but I'd probably use the same curric for all 3 older students, ditto with Vocabulary.

Vocabulary:

Rainbow Resources $10.80

Teacher's Guide $15.75

Traditional Logic

Rainbow Resources $64

Spelling:

For Spelling, I would consider using something that can be used at all levels, such as Spelling Power or (free) Webster's Speller.

Math:

Rainbow Resources $94

Grammar: Again, I'd look for a single resource you can use for multiple levels. R&S is pricey, esp. since you have to get different levels for every student.

History:

I would combine all 3 older students for history, the topic guided by what's most needed for the oldest.

9th grade-

Math:

Rainbow Resources $94

Annotated Mona Lisa

Amazon $15.63

Story of Painting

Amazon $37.80

Amazon $21.56

8th grade-

Logic:

If you think your 8th grader can handle it, I'd consider putting him with the olders for Logic as well. The curric you chose is pretty pricey.

2cnd grade-

Spelling:See my comment above about Spelling. For sure for the young ones I'd use Webster's (free on www.donpotter.net)

Grammar:

First Language Lessons

Rainbow Resources $13.25

History:

Story of the World

Rainbow Resources $13.25

Activity Book $27.25

Writing:

Math:

As a suggestion, I'm using Practical Arithmetics, which is a reprint text along the same lines as Ray's, except the first text is suitable for up through 4th grade at least, and it cost me $11 iirc. I believe the Developmental Mathematics website sells it. As a non-consumable, it could be used with multiple children, even if they're not on the same page.

Science:

Barnes & Noble $12.23

Rainbow Resources $12.85

Green Thumbs

Rainbow Resources $11.95

1st grade-

Writing:

I'd use copywork with the first grader, too.

Reading:This is a good one to look for freebies on. We've had great success with Word Mastery, free on www. donpotter.com. The Tanglewood School also has a good free phonics curriculum. Combined with readers from the library, and there's little need to spend money on it.

Here's a good site for free math drill worksheets: http://www.math-drills.com/

The library is a wonderful resource. You could probably find the Van Cleave science books at the library for those under high school age. My library has "The Fallacy Detective" which is a good book for learning informal logic (usually in 7th or 8th grade).

You should be able to find lots of good living history books at the library.

IMHO:

Cut vocab and spelling from the 11th graders book list. Use History/literature, science etc to personalize those subjects if you see a need. Also, I might even skip the writing strands unless they are in need of intensive writing instruction. You can assign papers and topics without a textbook.

For the ninth grader, buy one art text at a time. Space out the purchases. You may find that you don't even end up using all three.

8th grader, our library has the Kingfisher. Perhaps you could go to the library once a week to do reference work? Or check it out on a regular basis.

2nd grader, can you incorporate more library texts, especially for science. I wouldn't buy any, and would use the library until a used bookstore/goodwill hunt built up the references you want at home.

All of the major resources in the ending paragraph, library! Buy them one at a time throughout the year, and you'll be set for next year. Or, you may find that you got along great with fewer than you expected. And maybe bc I'm a child of the digital age, I see no reason for a paper dictionary and thesaurus... It can be intimidating to start hs, but I think most will agree that they got too much rather than too little "stuff" when they started. I'm sure you will find a solution that works for your family and budget. Good luck!

-High school vocab lists can be printed off via internet and I would definitely ditch spelling for the older kids just work on word meanings, etc.

-Saxon can be bought used everywhere, but I would also check out math mammouth for the youngers.

-Another vote for Susan's writing info/program

-One history program for everyone. I'd get Joy Hakim's Story of America & supplement with the library. Make the HSer's read and write!

-I'd combine Science for the HSer's as well and so a new one each semester.

Amazon sells Spelling Workout for cheap.

Check out your thrift stores for used currick. My friends has bought YEARS of stuff for little to nothing and sells it on ebay.

I think you could shave several hundred off your total. Good luck!

I wouldn't bother with the Jackdaw portfolios. I don't think they are worth the money.

I know it is a big expense right at the beginning, but just remember that most of it will be passed down to the other children next year.

As for children using the same text book, I have that.I have 2 children sharing the same Saxon math, and Rod and Staff grammar book. One does math while the other does grammar, then they swap books.

11th grade-

Foreign language:

Rainbow Resources $149 Have you looked into Henle? It's a lot cheaper, and you can get lots of help from the high school board on how to use this. It's a non-consumable book that you can use with several children from middle grades and up. Just set up a study notebook for each child.

Science:

Rainbow Resources $16

Writing:

Rainbow Resources $16.75 I recommend listening to SWB's "how to teach writing and literature analysis" audio lectures first. Four of them, $16 total, and then you have a basic, concrete idea of how to teach writing skills to ALL of your kids. When your kids get to a stage where they can study rhetoric, then you can invest in rhetoric writing books.

Vocabulary:

Rainbow Resources $10.80

Teacher's Guide $15.75 TG not necessary, IME

Traditional Logic

Rainbow Resources $64 I hope this price is for TL 1 AND 2?

Spelling:

Spelling Workout D (REALLY not sure about this for an 11th grader) Does he need spelling help? And just for something that will span all your kids, you could consider the Writing Road to Reading book, to teach spelling, how to read, printing, and cursive. All in a $25 book. I skip the grammar and composition parts of this book. It taught me how to teach reading and spelling.

Rainbow Resources $12

Math:

Rainbow Resources $94

Grammar:

Rod & Staff $36.50

History:

~I have not yet decided his course. Per the WTM he should be doing Late Renaissance/Early Modern, but I really wanted to work on the Constitution and founding documents in depth this year. And then finish up by working on Civics/Ecomonics/Government next year. You can start history wherever you want. I'd just suggest going in chronological order from wherever you start, so the kids get a sense of time.

9th grade-

Foreign Language:

SEE ABOVE

Science:

Rainbow Resources $16

Writing:

Vocabulary:

Logic:

SEE ABOVE, again... lol

Spelling:

SEE ABOVE

Math:

Rainbow Resources $94

Grammar:

Rod & Staff $46.30

History:

Rainbow $23.25

Annotated Mona Lisa

Amazon $15.63

Story of Painting

Amazon $37.80

Amazon $21.56

8th grade-

Foreign Language:

SEE ABOVE

Writing:

SEE ABOVE

Vocabulary:

SEE ABOVE

Logic:

Rainbow Resources $23 and $10 I'd try the 8th grader out in TL first, since you are buying it anyway. If it's a success, you can forget about CT.

Spelling:

SEE ABOVE

Math:

I have!! YAY!! LOL

Grammar:

Rod & Staff $46.50

History:

The Civil War

Jackdaw $57.80 Not at all worth the money, IMO. Search the boards for more opinions on this, lol! You can use the primary source website referenced in WTM, and use the WTM's primary source evaluation questions, located in the logic stage history section. Read a document, discuss answers to the questions, and write up a narration of the answers every once in awhile.

Amazon $19.79

Critical Thinking in U.S. History Book 3 (&4 later) I consider this a nice, but not necessary, thing to use.

Rainbow Resources $18

Backyard Ballistics

Rainbow $13.50

2cnd grade-

Spelling:

Spelling Workout B

Christian Book $11.50

Grammar:

First Language Lessons

Rainbow Resources $13.25

History:

Story of the World

Rainbow Resources $13.25

Activity Book $27.25 Nice, but not necessary. You can use library books for extra reading and for project ideas. Colouring pages online. Or buy Knowledge Quest's MapTrek for map study. You can get 1 CD that contains maps for all four years in the history rotation, with activities for ALL of the grades. ALL OF THEM! $50 has you covered for history geography study for all your kids, forever! LOL (plus printer ink and paper)

Writing:

Math:

I was going to use Saxon 2, until I read today that anything under 4 is kind of pointless and can actually hold them back. Anyway, that was found at Rainbow Resources for $60. Are you listing Saxon for all your kids because it's recommended in WTM? If so, look around at other math programs - there are plenty of good ones. I like R&S, and it's a whole lot cheaper, esp. compared to Saxon's early grades.

Science:

Barnes & Noble $12.23

Rainbow Resources $12.85

Green Thumbs

Rainbow Resources $11.95

These are all super fun to use! But if finances dictate, you can always just ask your child for a list of animals he wants to study, write a list of the human body systems, and figure out some plant projects you want to do, and explore the library with these ideas in mind. You don't need these "spines."

1st grade-

Spelling:

Spelling Workout A

Christian Book $11.49

Grammar:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

History:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

Writing:

Math:

Science:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

Reading:

Amazon $19.77

Flash Cards

Peace Hill Press $5.95

Binders - I find piles of them every year, for FREE, at my local thrift store. The other reference books you mentioned are wonderful - I would buy those.

I am SURE you can whittle that list down and/or get things cheaper.

11th grade-

Foreign language:

Latin Road to English Grammar. Rainbow Resources $149 This is not the best program. I would not invest that much money in it unless I knew that it would work for us. If your children have never done Latin then I would recommend starting with Getting Started with Latin which can be used by more than one child at a time. You can get it from Amazon for about $20. Then you can move on to one of many other programs that you can buy one level at a time.

Science:

Rainbow Resources $16

Writing:

Rainbow Resources $16.75 That does seem kind of low for his grade. None of my children liked that program so it would have been a waste of money for us. The price is not bad though.

Vocabulary:

Rainbow Resources $10.80

Teacher's Guide $15.75 You can wait to start both vocabulary.

Traditional Logic

Rainbow Resources $64 This could also wait.

Spelling:

Rainbow Resources $12

(not sure what this is, maybe a Teacher Guide) $12.50 That level of Spelling is very low for this grade. It is intended for the entire program to be finished by 8th grade. I wouldn't even do spelling at that age unless it was a problem area.

Math:

Rainbow Resources $94 This is one of those love it or hate it programs so I would definitely not recommend buying it new until you are sure that it will work for you and your children.

Grammar:

Rod & Staff $36.50

History:

~I have not yet decided his course. Per the WTM he should be doing Late Renaissance/Early Modern, but I really wanted to work on the Constitution and founding documents in depth this year. And then finish up by working on Civics/Ecomonics/Government next year. You can manage any level history with a single history encyclopedia and the library.

9th grade-

Foreign Language:

SEE ABOVE

Science:

Rainbow Resources $16

Writing:

Vocabulary:

Logic:

SEE ABOVE, again... lol

Spelling:

SEE ABOVE

Math:

Rainbow Resources $94

Grammar:

Rod & Staff $46.30

History:

Rainbow $23.25

Annotated Mona Lisa

Amazon $15.63

Story of Painting

Amazon $37.80

Amazon $21.56 You can start by getting all of these at the library.

8th grade-

Foreign Language:

SEE ABOVE

Writing:

SEE ABOVE

Vocabulary:

SEE ABOVE

Logic:

Rainbow Resources $23 and $10 My kids did not like this program and I do feel that logic could wait.

Spelling:

SEE ABOVE

Math:

I have!! YAY!! LOL

Grammar:

Rod & Staff $46.50

History:

The Civil War

Jackdaw $57.80 You don't need these. You could just assign research papers using the internet and library.

Amazon $19.79

Rainbow Resources $18 Once again my kids didn't like these and I don't think that they are necessary to start.

Backyard Ballistics

Rainbow $13.50

*Of course I will add new experiments as we finish the other ones up. You can get tons of these kinds of books at the library to start with.

2cnd grade-

Spelling:

Spelling Workout B

Christian Book $11.50

Grammar:

First Language Lessons

Rainbow Resources $13.25

History:

Story of the World

Rainbow Resources $13.25

Activity Book $27.25

Writing:

Math:

I was going to use Saxon 2, until I read today that anything under 4 is kind of pointless and can actually hold them back. Anyway, that was found at Rainbow Resources for $60.

Science:

Barnes & Noble $12.23

Rainbow Resources $12.85

Green Thumbs

Rainbow Resources $11.95

1st grade-

Spelling:

Spelling Workout A

Christian Book $11.49

Grammar:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

History:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

Writing:

Math:

Science:

SEE 2cnd GRADE

Reading:

Amazon $19.77

Flash Cards

Peace Hill Press $5.95

Ok, I mostly made comments on the higher grades but most of those comments would apply across the board. IMO, you can get almost all history and science resources including subject specific encyclopedias at the library to start with. Logic and language can wait a bit. So basically you need a good LA & math program right away and the rest can be added in as you can afford it.

IMHO:

Cut vocab and spelling from the 11th graders book list. Use History/literature, science etc to personalize those subjects if you see a need. Also, I might even skip the writing strands unless they are in need of intensive writing instruction. You can assign papers and topics without a textbook.

For the ninth grader, buy one art text at a time. Space out the purchases. You may find that you don't even end up using all three.

8th grader, our library has the Kingfisher. Perhaps you could go to the library once a week to do reference work? Or check it out on a regular basis.

2nd grader, can you incorporate more library texts, especially for science. I wouldn't buy any, and would use the library until a used bookstore/goodwill hunt built up the references you want at home.

All of the major resources in the ending paragraph, library! Buy them one at a time throughout the year, and you'll be set for next year. Or, you may find that you got along great with fewer than you expected. And maybe bc I'm a child of the digital age, I see no reason for a paper dictionary and thesaurus... It can be intimidating to start hs, but I think most will agree that they got too much rather than too little "stuff" when they started. I'm sure you will find a solution that works for your family and budget. Good luck!

Just want to say those are some great ideas!! Thank you... also this isn't our first year homeschooling, it's my 5th. It's just my first year using WTM :blush:

-High school vocab lists can be printed off via internet and I would definitely ditch spelling for the older kids just work on word meanings, etc.

-Saxon can be bought used everywhere, but I would also check out math mammouth for the youngers.

-Another vote for Susan's writing info/program

-One history program for everyone. I'd get Joy Hakim's Story of America & supplement with the library. Make the HSer's read and write!

-I'd combine Science for the HSer's as well and so a new one each semester.

Amazon sells Spelling Workout for cheap.

Check out your thrift stores for used currick. My friends has bought YEARS of stuff for little to nothing and sells it on ebay.

I think you could shave several hundred off your total. Good luck!

This may sound so stupid, but where and how would I start teaching them word meanings? I am pretty sure they didn't do this in public school, and I know Susan covers this a lot in the younger years. But if i do away with a bunch of that stuff, how would I go about making sure they were still learning it?

Thanks

Despite the shock, that's pretty good. I spend more than half that on my one child, although postage eats up a fair chunk as we are overseas.

It's worth remembering that using TWTM doesn't mean only using the resources she recommends - it's a map, not a prescription. Comments on the curriculum board will quickly tell you which resources are considered "rigourous" and which not.

MEP is great for maths, and it's free. Try to find things that can be used for multiple years (e.g. SWR for spelling). Things that are available as e-books are often cheaper - look at Teacher Resource e-stores, but also things like those from Pandia Press which are designed to go with TWTM cycle. History doesn't need anything other than what you can get from the library. Science doesn't strictly need anything other than an encyclopedia and library books, although I find it much easier with experiments etc laid out. Watch for hidden extras, i.e. other books or hands-on material you need to buy.

:iagree:I won't say what I spend on one.

If you list what you're looking at we might be able to help you find cheaper alternatives.

Me too! I thought I was done buying, but little things keep creeping up that I hadn't thought of and then I just keep buying stuff to buy. :tongue_smilie: It's a total sickness! :D

Hope you can figure out how to break it down.

Amazon is offering free prime accounts to students with an edu address. If you happen to have one, my hubby is currently a student so we did, sign up. I have saved a ton so far with it.

Colleen in NS, I just want to say thank you for all those ideas. I do know I really want the Story of the World Activity book though. The reason I even mention this is because you mentioned the program on CD you can print everything from. And I thought I wish they would do that wit the SOTW activity book, that would be soooooo nice. So I thought I'd put it out there in case anyone is reading who could make that happen ;) LOL

Ok, I mostly made comments on the higher grades but most of those comments would apply across the board. IMO, you can get almost all history and science resources including subject specific encyclopedias at the library to start with. Logic and language can wait a bit. So basically you need a good LA & math program right away and the rest can be added in as you can afford it.

You definitely have given me some things to think about, too. I am actually glad I posted this because it is making me rethink some of the things I have picked and would have paid for. You can never put a price on pre-existing knowledge. Especially in homeschooling. How many times have we heard or thought, "If only I had known"?

I would not purchase anything for the 1st and 2nd graders. You can do all the subjects you've listed for free, which would save you about $200. (A little less if you really need a reading program for your youngest.)

Math: Play games like Yahtzee, Monopoly, Go Fish or Concentration for addition and subtraction facts, etc. Get math books from the library. Print free worksheets and math puzzles from one of the many sites online. (I like worksheetworks.com for lots of subjects.) Give the kids practice problems every day using a whiteboard, or practice math facts with cheap flash cards from the dollar store. Check out livingmath.net for lots of fabulous living math ideas.

Grammar: There's a free language arts program for K-6 here.

Spelling: Create spelling lists based on the books they're reading and head to Spelling City or Worksheet Works to create your own pages, play games, etc. Or put some spelling words on a white board once a week and practice them. Or skip spelling until later.

Writing: Copywork, narration and dictation from books you're reading together.

Science: Follow the process outlined in TWTM using books from your library. It doesn't matter if you do 20 weeks on animals and 10 weeks on the human body, etc. Just pick from what's there and what the kids are interested in, read lots, and keep a notebook.

History: Ancients is a super popular time period at libraries, and you should have no problem at all finding heaps of books on ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, China. Read books (many of them will have project ideas), look places up on a map, Google for colouring pages.

I also wouldn't purchase the animal encyclopedias; your library HAS to have something along those lines, and/or you can often find these sorts of things at library book sales. I highly recommend you go to any thrift stores with big book sales and library book sales. I've been amazed at what I've found, including lots of great reference books. I don't think animals have changed much in the past hundred years, so I use plenty of old books. Ditto with stuff about ancient Egypt, but certainly the animals.

Echoing a lot of the other suggestions here. I would combine your olders as much as possible. Same history, same grammar, same logic. I would not bother with spelling or vocabulary unless there are issues. Especially since you are doing Latin, so your children will be learning Latin roots.

I would really focus all your energy and resources on your olders at this point. Get them started in math, then language, then add science and history.

For your youngers, a couple free resources come to mind. MEP math is great. For reading lessons and spelling, look at ElizabethB's website, and stalk her posts on here about teaching reading and spelling using Webster's Speller. I think she has one thread with step by step lessons as she does them with her son.

Colleen in NS, I just want to say thank you for all those ideas. I do know I really want the Story of the World Activity book though. The reason I even mention this is because you mentioned the program on CD you can print everything from. And I thought I wish they would do that wit the SOTW activity book, that would be soooooo nice. So I thought I'd put it out there in case anyone is reading who could make that happen ;) LOL

Peace Hill Press does offer the Activity Books as a PDF download. I have the one for Volume 3 and I've found it's more difficult for planning purposes (I like being able to flip back and forth in a real book), but for implementation, it's great. I can print off student pages as needed, and I've always got the review questions and map work handy, so I don't need to keep the big book out.

Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia ($22.50 at rainbow resources),

I have a lot of supplies, though I still need a few more binders and have yet to get the 3" expensive ones WTM mentions. I need 4.

I have two copies of the above book. I bought a copy and my husband saw it at a book sale and bought another. They're both basically new. Send me an e-mail and I'm sure we could work something out.

Also, I despise 3" binders. :glare: They were the first WTM suggestion to go. I can't get enough of the $2.50 1" binders from Walmart. They're good (Avery?) binders and if I need to use 2 per year for each subject, so be it. I buy them all at once, but you could buy as you go just as easily.

All my 3" binders hold now is answer keys & teacher's manuals I have 3 hole punched and/pr cut off bindings. They're good for that.

Also, you may want to read some threads on Ordinary Parent's Guide. A lot of kids hate it. Also, with the sheer number of kids you're schooling, you may want a quick & dirty phonics program. I'd just get Explode the Code 1 book at a time and make up little stories or use Starfall.

Absolutely wait on the history and science for the younger ones! The science, especially, can be done well (if not better) with a library card.

Something like Word Mastery or Blend Phonics or Webster's Speller (free online) can double as reading & spelling instruction for your 1st and 2nd graders. At worst, you try it for 6mo and buy something else when you get your next tax return.

:grouphug: I had a tight budget this year too, and have had to postpone a few things I wanted to start this fall. It's a blessing in disguise though...sometimes simpler is better.

Rod and Staff, Story of the World and Writing Strands are all books that come up often on used book boards. I've never paid more than $30 for any of my grade level sets of R&S or SOTW. You will probably be able to get Writing Strands for under $10 if you look on E-bay, here and other used curriculum sites.

Also, check out the used textbook site through Borders. I found quite a bit there. Watch shipping though because it can add up.

With R&S start all but the most advanced student on the 5th grade level. It's very complete and if a student doesn't have a very strong base in grammar it will be more than enough.

Use your local library as much as possible. I save myself thousands of $$ by borrowing rather than buying.

I have two copies of the above book. I bought a copy and my husband saw it at a book sale and bought another. They're both basically new. Send me an e-mail and I'm sure we could work something out.

Also, I despise 3" binders. :glare: They were the first WTM suggestion to go. I can't get enough of the $2.50 1" binders from Walmart. They're good (Avery?) binders and if I need to use 2 per year for each subject, so be it. I buy them all at once, but you could buy as you go just as easily.

All my 3" binders hold now is answer keys & teacher's manuals I have 3 hole punched and/pr cut off bindings. They're good for that.

Also, you may want to read some threads on Ordinary Parent's Guide. A lot of kids hate it. Also, with the sheer number of kids you're schooling, you may want a quick & dirty phonics program. I'd just get Explode the Code 1 book at a time and make up little stories or use Starfall.

Well that's good to hear. I like the 2" binders, but the 3 " are just too much IMO. I already have a bunch of 1" though, color coded for each child.

My second grader taught himself to read. I bought 100 Easy Lessons, but never used it. He seemed to learn while we were learning and memorizing the states last year. I've wondered if she couldn't do the same, and that possibly I did something right without knowing it. Wouldn't that be nice?? LOL