Menu

x-post: TOG policy change

As relayed in the newletter from VHSG, "Tapestry of Grace communicated that they are going to a new rule that any courses or slides with their material in it cannot be kept from year to year which put me in to a position of not being able to use TOG to teach TOG if I wanted to keep all the work I put in". So the VHSG classes will no longer use TOG. :( Does this affect your homeschool or co-op?

Edited by melmichigan

I was very sad to hear that TOG made a policy change today. As relayed in the newletter from VHSG, "Tapestry of Grace communicated that they are going to a new rule that any courses or slides with their material in it cannot be kept from year to year which put me in to a position of not being able to use TOG to teach TOG if I wanted to keep all the work I put in". So the VHSG classes will no longer use TOG. :( Does this affect your homeschool or co-op?

Is TOG saying that if someone buys their program, they can only use it for one year? Unless they are actually "leasing" their program on a year-to-year basis, rather than selling it, I don't see how they can legally do that. The "first sale doctrine" says a publisher cannot dictate what happens to a book after it's sold, as long as the buyer doesn't violate copyright law (i.e. make illegal copies of it). Are they saying that VHSG made slides of their material and that counts as illegal copies? :confused:

Jackie

Is TOG saying that if someone buys their program, they can only use it for one year? Unless they are actually "leasing" their program on a year-to-year basis, rather than selling it, I don't see how they can legally do that. The "first sale doctrine" says a publisher cannot dictate what happens to a book after it's sold, as long as the buyer doesn't violate copyright law (i.e. make illegal copies of it). Are they saying that VHSG made slides of their material and that counts as illegal copies? :confused:

Jackie

I don't think this is the case. I think it has something to do with co-ops and the course information they create around TOG as a curriculum. I emailed TOG for specifics.

I am editing this post rather than replying because this topic has taken a negative turn on the K-8 which was never my intent, I use TOG and was saddened to hear that VHSG won't be TOG specific any longer (according to the last newsletter). My post was not ment as a negative reflection on the company. I cannot change it since it has already been quoted, so I am simply clarifying my intent. My understanding from TOG is that it has to do with mass storage of materials created around copyright curriculum. There are no problems with materials we personally make and reuse.

Edited by melmichigan