Menu

Singapore HOD - HOW LONG does a lesson take in grK-3 if using guide too? AND....

Neesy

Is there time to add games or math literature/activities? Are certain days' lessons shorter/quicker than others?

AND any other Singapore math advice. I have been fearful to try this for years because of all the negative I have read about lack of review and lack of TM, European measurement, etc. I have no idea how much these things have changed. I did see that Singapore has new versions out and Mrs. Austin (HOD) said she actually prefers the older ones. :confused:

Thanks.

Blessings,

Denise:bigear:

Wow, I'm surprised that Singapore has so many negative reviews. I always thought it was considered a top-notch math program??

We're on our 2nd year of using Singapore with HOD and the lessons are 10-20 mins. on average I'd say.... there will be a quick activity and then 1-2 workbook pages. So yes, there's definitely time to add in whatever you want for math. :)

Yes, it would be easy to supplement. We use Singapore along with the HOD lessons. My DD is in 2a and DS is in 1a. There are some days with no lesson plans (just a couple WB pages)...These days would be perfect for extra math activities. Even the days with lessons don't take very long. We were using the Singapore HIG and recently switched to HOD with Carrie's lessons. I think my DD is doing better so far with Carrie's hands on lessons. We're only 6 weeks in, but I'm hoping things continue to go well.

There are Home Instructor Guides now available. There isn't much review, but we use flash cards or the Mental Math pages out of the HIG for extra practice. There are also Singapore workbooks available for extra problems and challenging problems. DD's book uses both metric and American measurements.

As far as bad reviews, I've seen bad reviews for every program out there. ;) There are quite a few families on these boards that are very happy with SM, including mine. :001_smile:

Edited by Holly

Wow, I'm surprised that Singapore has so many negative reviews. I always thought it was considered a top-notch math program??

We're on our 2nd year of using Singapore with HOD and the lessons are 10-20 mins. on average I'd say.... there will be a quick activity and then 1-2 workbook pages. So yes, there's definitely time to add in whatever you want for math. :)

Thank you, Sara! Actually, I almost (and should have) said there are probably more positive reviews than negative. The negative ones that are out there were the ones that scared me..."certified math phobe"...away from the program. I read about: no teacher's manual, that the program went too fast without enough review to check for mastery, and that the measuring was all metrics (something of a nightmare for me in 4th grade :tongue_smilie:).

I am encouraged though that the lessons are short, because I have several resources I would like to implement for my boys: hands-on math with math literature, math games, and real-life math activities that would hopefully provide that "missing" review. I also like that HOD includes enrichment activities to go with the Singapore lessons. I just think I also need a "spine" of-sorts to keep me "flowing" and on track. I tend to be a "tangent junkie" if not reigned in or better yet coralled from the very start LOL!!

I have also found a website to hopefully use to periodically check for mastery.

I was seriously considering Bob Jones or Math on the Level (really scared off by that one...at least for now). Bob Jones apparently takes around 30-45 minutes a day. Don't think my guys could take 30+ m. of one program...every day.

Thanks again! I think I will look at Singapore a little closer now.:001_smile:

Blessings,

Denise