Menu

What to do with animal, etc. flash cards

I bought several sets of flash cards at Target in the Dollar Spot, but I'm fresh out of creativity. I have U.S. animals, animals of the world, insects, and some of the landmark ones. Anyone want to help me brainstorm activities for these? Bonus points if it's something my 4 and 6 year old can do independently while I work with the other one. :D

I have the same cards. They were too hard to resist at $1. Currently, we're going through the rhyming cards. We go over one each morning during our calendar/planning time. I've thought about making a book with the animal ones. I was hoping to attach some of the flag ones to our map, but there are three flags per card, so that's not going to work.

My dd liked sorting challenges. Either I'd give her a set of categories, or she would think up her own, make piles, and I'd have to guess her criteria. Some of the things we came up with were eating habits (carnivore, omnivore, insectivore, etc.), bathroom behavior (yes, indeed -- while walking, in water, etc.), building or nesting preferences, types of feet, and a whole bunch more. Dd's enthusiasm for this game far outlasted mine!

Edited to add: For your 4-year-old, how about a game of camouflage, where one of you hides the cards around the house in places where their colors or markings are "hidden"? The other has to find them. Or art -- one kid can make a painting using one of the cards for inspiration while you work with the other child. I had a child-sized easel from a garage sale that dd used for years. For some reason it made painting more fun for her and she would spend longer at it that way than if the paper were on the table.

Edited by Guest