Menu

Cancelled school for the week

Did you catch it early enough to go on the anti-viral medicine? My doctor dad diagnosed my "weird rash" over the phone, local doc confirmed it the next day, I went on the medicine (can't remember name), and recovered very quickly. Hope you do too!

I think so. I went in on Monday but didn't have the right symptoms. Last night the burning, tingling, bumps started so I called at 8am and had the meds by 10am. I'm really hoping that helps. The medicine really helps the pain but wears off quickly. Advil has been helping too but this afternoon I'm in a lot of pain. I'm hoping it gets better quickly. I find it isn't as painful when I'm sitting. The more I'm up and the warmer I get the more painful it is.

Kelly

:grouphug:

My advice is to take the meds and be sure to get as much rest as possible. Canceling school is a good start. Go back to the doc asap if you need changes to the meds. My mom has been struggling with this for *months*, probably partly because she wasn't quick to treat it at the beginning and she wasn't able to rest as much as she should have then.

To everyone else, if you're over 60, consider getting the vaccine (if you vax). This is *not* something you want to get!

I think so. I went in on Monday but didn't have the right symptoms. Last night the burning, tingling, bumps started so I called at 8am and had the meds by 10am. I'm really hoping that helps. The medicine really helps the pain but wears off quickly. Advil has been helping too but this afternoon I'm in a lot of pain. I'm hoping it gets better quickly. I find it isn't as painful when I'm sitting. The more I'm up and the warmer I get the more painful it is.

Kelly

So sorry, Kelly! I'm praying for you. So smart to just take the week off. I've been sick this week and we are limping along doing some subjects but not others. With shingles, that would just be added stress. Just sit and do nothing if you can! :grouphug:

:grouphug:

My advice is to take the meds and be sure to get as much rest as possible. Canceling school is a good start. Go back to the doc asap if you need changes to the meds. My mom has been struggling with this for *months*, probably partly because she wasn't quick to treat it at the beginning and she wasn't able to rest as much as she should have then.

To everyone else, if you're over 60, consider getting the vaccine (if you vax). This is *not* something you want to get!

Oh, I can't imagine having this for months.

I've been sick this week and we are limping along doing some subjects but not others.

I've thought about it but I'm not very nice when I'm in pain. We might do a couple of catch up things but not much more.

Well, I do like being right...:D But, that doesn't take away my empathy for what you're going through. I had them when I was pregnant with my baby girl. No one knew what they were...I didn't get much "sympathy" (most people thought I had been bitten by a bunch of bugs). When I finally got the diagnosis... it was a different story.

Rest, rest, rest -- tylenol -- hope you get over them quickly! If you got the anti-virals so quickly after the bumps appeared they should work!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Why is it that shingles hurt so much but chicken pox don't? Chicken pox just itch.

OP, I hope you recover quickly.

I've been wondering the same thing. I was asking my dh this morning what makes them hurt so badly. It feels like someone keeps poking pins in my face and scalp.

Well, I do like being right...:D But, that doesn't take away my empathy for what you're going through. I had them when I was pregnant with my baby girl. No one knew what they were...I didn't get much "sympathy" (most people thought I had been bitten by a bunch of bugs). When I finally got the diagnosis... it was a different story.

You may have the honor of being right since you are also sympathetic :001_smile: When you tell someone you have shingles they really do feel for you. I thought it was a bit overdone until the pain really started. Now I'll have the same over the top sympathy for others when they have it.

Also, I dabbed honey on the ouchies, and I think that really helped.

I might give this a try. Unfortunately the ones that hurt the most are on my scalp. My hair will smell yummy :001_smile: I've heard vinegar is supposed to help also.