Menu

Quick Phonics Road question :)

abrightmom

When beginning PR with an older student already reading well do you use the self-illustrated readers? My DS is an 8yo 2nd grader reading very well. I'd like to find a way to make PR a tad more affordable by NOT having to purchase a 2nd student notebook (I also have a first grader). I think that for this child the readers would be busy work since he's reading well. Is this possible? I remember reading somewhere (can't find it!) that someone purchased an extra set of building codes without having to purchase an entire student notebook. This would just be for Level One. :001_smile:

If you think I should just use the entire student notebook with DS8 then please say so. Presently I don't have the $$ to make a purchase but I am working on that. :D

Linda,

That is such a sweet offer. :001_smile: Are the building codes all that I would need to complete Level One with DS8 to be sufficiently ready for Level Two? I would, of course, have a student notebook to refer to since DS6 would be using it in its entirety! Ugh. I had PR in my hot little hands a couple of months ago. I'm still kicking myself for selling it. :rolleyes:

I am not buying as of yet. Still figuring it out but I'm happy to hear that BCs are available separately. Or did she extend you a favor in providing the extra set for you?

ETA: Uh-OH!!!! What about Tool Cards? He needs those so I will have to buy him his own student notebook/materials, right?

Edited by abrightmom
just thought of something

Linda,

That is such a sweet offer. :001_smile: Are the building codes all that I would need to complete Level One with DS8 to be sufficiently ready for Level Two? I would, of course, have a student notebook to refer to since DS6 would be using it in its entirety! Ugh. I had PR in my hot little hands a couple of months ago. I'm still kicking myself for selling it. :rolleyes:

I am not buying as of yet. Still figuring it out but I'm happy to hear that BCs are available separately. Or did she extend you a favor in providing the extra set for you?

ETA: Uh-OH!!!! What about Tool Cards? He needs those so I will have to buy him his own student notebook/materials, right?

Katrina, yes, Mrs. Beers, was so kind to just send them along. I believe you would be okay with using your own notebook and building codes. Especially since you will have one complete notebook to refer too.

With regards to the tool cards, I can hunt one of my ds down. We really don't use them.

If you want the tool cards and the building codes let me know.

If it makes you feel any better I bought MFW K and 1st grade twice, oh and Saxon Phonics Intervention :tongue_smilie: that's just some of my repurchases. This is why I'm not so quick to sell these days. I have Analytical Grammar that I'm not using or going to sell. I have Oak Meadow 5 that I don't think we'll use but I just can't sell it yet (I did list it at one time).

Guest aquiverfull

I think Mrs. Beers has something on the home page that says you can email her if you have an older student and want to use the student notebook later for a younger student, so you can get the building codes. Wow that was a mouthful...lol. I'm saving my student binder for my younger dd. I just have my 11 year old do the work in a regular notebook. We plan to skip the readers for her as well.

I just wanted to say that I refuse to list the things I've bought and resold numerous times lest the men with the straight jacket come and book me for complete insanity.

Heather

I am taking a vow of silence with you...although if we both speak at least I'd be in good company!!

ETA: To the OP: I just have my daughter make her own set of building codes going off of the ones in her younger brothers book. She uses regular notebook paper for the blueprints (spelling lists) and compostion section (original sentences). I did make her notebook with tabs like the student binder so she would find things easily. Also, they've never had used the tool cards since we do most of it on the chalkboard. I'm using the tool cards with my youngster though. If you have the letter tiles from AAS, they are really great for practice building words in place of the tool cards as well.

Edited by LoveBaby