Menu

Help for nephew with reviewing math through College Algebra

I'm looking for some good recommendations to help my nephew - he's been putting himself through community college for years, and is trying to transfer to a University. He's more of a lanugage guy (in fact, he wants to major in linguistics) than a math guy, but he needs College Algebra to transfer. He passed the placement test, and is enrolled in the class now, but he told me he's feeling a bit over his head -the highest math he had in high school was Alg II, and that was 10 years ago. He may have had some introduction to trig, but I don't think he remembers much.

I'm pretty sure there's some online program that I've seen mentioned with sounded like it could be helpful... was that ALEKS? How does that work and what does it cost? I also suggested his picking up a used Lial's of some kind - anyone know which one might be good?

Any other suggestions?

You could get the Chalkdust dvds for college algebra. They will let you purchase them separately from the text, just call. Then you get help from Dana Mosely as well.

If he's really lost, Chalkdust's Algebra 2 text is an intermediate algebra text (just below college algebra) and those dvds might be good review as well.

You could get the Chalkdust dvds for college algebra. They will let you purchase them separately from the text, just call. Then you get help from Dana Mosely as well.

If he's really lost, Chalkdust's Algebra 2 text is an intermediate algebra text (just below college algebra) and those dvds might be good review as well.

I think Chalkdust would be too expensive - I think he's barely making payment on the cc classes - that's why he's 10 years out of high school and only where he is now.

I'm pretty sure there's some online program that I've seen mentioned with sounded like it could be helpful... was that ALEKS? How does that work and what does it cost? I also suggested his picking up a used Lial's of some kind - anyone know which one might be good?

ALEKS is made for this situation. It is for adults who need to review math quickly and who may remember some things well but not others. I did their Algebra I and Geometry courses a few years ago to get ready to teach my son those subjects and ALEKS was perfect.

Life of Fred Alg I and II with the home companions. My ds used those over the summer before he went away for school and had to take a placement test. It had been over a year since he had had a math class and he wanted to test out of college Alg - he's a lingusitics guy too. He said they were terrific for working throuh on your on.