Menu

LoF Algebra 1

wy_kid_wrangler04

What page/etc? My copy (purchased around 4 months ago) says 5th printing but doesn't say revised or anything. I'd never heard of this until now.

Oh I dont remember. I know he re-wrote the book though. I am not sure he wrote revised or anything- or if he just stopped selling the old. This was last year- there was a bunch of controversy over it. I almost didnt use LoF because of it.

You have the new one if you bought it new 4 months ago-- what do you think about it? Anything objectionable at all?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Oh I dont remember. I know he re-wrote the book though. I am not sure he wrote revised or anything- or if he just stopped selling the old. This was last year- there was a bunch of controversy over it. I almost didnt use LoF because of it.

You have the new one if you bought it new 4 months ago-- what do you think about it? Anything objectionable at all?

We haven't used it yet because we were waiting for Pre-Algebra 2 to come out. I was hoping for page numbers because I don't have time to read through it. You're talking about Beginning Algebra, right?

Was the controversy posted about here? The only thing I've read about here is in regards to LoF not being secular enough for some. I tried searching for more info (hoping to find page numbers) but couldn't find anything. However, my search skill are not the greatest.

ETA, are you sure he completely rewrote the book? I'd think that would make it a 2nd edition instead of another printing of the 1st Edition.

We haven't used it yet because we were waiting for Pre-Algebra 2 to come out. I was hoping for page numbers because I don't have time to read through it. You're talking about Beginning Algebra, right?

Was the controversy posted about here? The only thing I've read about here is in regards to LoF not being secular enough for some. I tried searching for more info (hoping to find page numbers) but couldn't find anything. However, my search skill are not the greatest.

ETA, are you sure he completely rewrote the book? I'd think that would make it a 2nd edition instead of another printing of the 1st Edition.

He changed some of the objectionable content. I dont know about the whole book. I dont have the book I just got an inner library loan from our library-- but I could probably do that again and we could compare notes.. It wasnt on here, this was before I was on WTM. I know he had posted about it on his blog but I did not read that myself... a friend of mine did and told me about what he said about the revisions.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I did some searching online and found this with page numbers. I looked up the page numbers in my book and will write what is/isn't there in green with quotes I write in green italics.

http://unityoftruth.blogspot.com/2006/12/update-on-life-of-fred.html

Now, here are those references, with page numbers:

23: "After the first evening that they played, the students realized that they had better not play for their usual stakes of quarters. Fred had cleaned them out. If it had been strip poker, Fred would have owned a lot of clothes much too large for himself."

I read the entire page and there aren't any references to strip poker. They are playing poker using pennies for poker chips, which all go back into the penny jar at the end of the game.

"There was a small jar of pennies in the student recreation room. It was Joe's job at the beginning of the evening to count out an equal number of pennies for each person. They used pennies as poker chips. At the end of each evening, all the pennies would go back into the jar."

165: "Fred and Jack had finished their Sunday afternoon jog. A couple of hours were enough for their first run together. They passed the other eleven recruits who were in the rec hall into their third hour of watching reruns of "As the Girl Churns" on television."

"They passed the other eleven recruits who were in the rec hall watching their third hour of reruns of "I Love Shopping" on television."

165: "This truck was carrying grass . . . the lawn kind. Maybe that's why it was operating during the daytime."

This is still in the book.

167: "The Colonel moved several six-pound bags of white powder from the top of his desk into a desk drawer and came right to the point, "I hear that you know something about math and measurements. Is that true?""

"The Colonel moved several piles of jewels from the top of his desk into a desk drawer and came right to the point..."

250: "An empty beer can flew out of the window and in several seconds it was quiet again."

This is still in the book.

272: "Jack rang the bell at the Colonel's mansion and they were greeted by the maid with her breathy voice, "Hi boys!" This use of "boys" seemed strange to Jack since he was 22 years old and she seemed about six years younger than he.

I don't get why this would be offensive (I must be missing something) but it is changed.

"Jack rang the bell at the Colonel's mansion and they were greeted by the robot-maid with her breathy voice, "Hi, boys!" This use of "boys" seemed strange to Jack since he was 22 years old and she seemed about 20 years younger than he."

273: There were chemistry books which surprised the chaplain. They were mostly lab manuals telling how to make certain, possibly illicit, chemicals and how to avoid having the lab explode when dealing with volatile liquids such as ascetone. He remembered that when the maid had brought them to the library they had passed a steel-plated door with "M-Lab" painted on the door. He knew it didn't stand for Methodist Lab."

There is nothing about books used to make drugs or "Methodist" anywhere on the page.

"There were books with titles like, How to Get Rich Quick, Secrets to making Dough, and Lie, Cheat, and Steal Your Way to the Top."

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I also found this:

http://maureenwittmann.blogspot.com/2008/02/life-of-fred-comes-clean.html

Life of Fred Comes Clean

Quite some time ago, I wrote about the Life of Fred algebra textbook and some questionable passages. It's come to my attention that some of these passages have been changed in the new edition.

A reader writes:

I checked my book against the instances you listed and here is what has changed in my book:

Pg 23: they still talk about poker, but the reference to strip poker has been removed.

Pg 165: the tv show name has been changed to "I Love Shopping"

Pg 165: it still says "This truck was carrying grass ... the lawn kind. Maybe that's why it was operating during the day."

Pg 167: the bag of white powder has been changed to a bag of jewels

Pg 250: it still says "An empty beer can flew out of the window, and in several seconds it was quiet again."

Pg 272: the maid was changed to a robot-maid, but the rest of the sentence reads the same

Pg 273: the reference to lab manuals and a drug lab have been removed

Guess I didn't need to do all that typing:lol:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thank you! So there have been some major changes, I can deal with the ones that are still there! You are great! Thanks for helping because for the life of me I could not find those blogs again. :001_smile:

You're very welcome:001_smile: You got me curious so I was persistent in my searching:lol:

272: "Jack rang the bell at the Colonel's mansion and they were greeted by the maid with her breathy voice, "Hi boys!" This use of "boys" seemed strange to Jack since he was 22 years old and she seemed about six years younger than he.

I don't get why this would be offensive (I must be missing something) but it is changed.

"Jack rang the bell at the Colonel's mansion and they were greeted by the robot-maid with her breathy voice, "Hi, boys!" This use of "boys" seemed strange to Jack since he was 22 years old and she seemed about 20 years younger than he."

Maybe the thought of a breathy-voiced 16 yo human maid?