Menu

doing lapbooks in high school

I was wondering if anyone does/has done lapbooks in highschool for history and the sciences? I am going to incorporate lapbooks in with US/American history and Chemistry this year. I have always used lapbooks with my boys in elementary and middle school. I had not planned on doing lapbooks this year but my son wanted to know if we could do lapbooks with history and science. He told me that he remembered things better when we did lapbooks. So now I guess I will be spending the weekend coming up with lapbook ideas. Just wondering if anyone else has done this for HS.

Gloria

Edited by momof2boys
more info

PowerPoint is used more and more in HS. It would be good if your child knew how to used it. You can create a "lapbook" on power point using pictures, graphs, definitions and even little summaries. Just an idea.

Yeah but I don't know how to use PowerPoint. :lol: But I really want to do this. Suggestions on where or how to learn?

I went through some of the Power Point lessons at Lynda.com and found them very helpful. Some of them you have to subscribe in order to be able to view, but even just the free ones are a good start.

I'm thinking if I were lapbooking with a high school student I would get THEM involved in coming up with the ideas rather than just coming up with it myself and handing it to them. Like assign a lapbook, and the first thing I want from them is a list of possible mini-books to put in it.

My dd did a lot of high school using a notebooking method. I would think that would be similar to a lapbook method. Her notebooks were in 3-ring binders with page protectors, and most homeschoolers who saw them felt they were worthy of A+ :)

I used ideas that used to be on Heart of Wisdom's site and some history timeline pages from The Ultimate Geography & Timeline Guide, both of which were high school level, IMHO.

Many of her pages looked like these, from Heart of Wisdom, on the page that says its page "317" --

http://heartofwisdom.com/Acrobat/creatingnotebooks.pdf

Yeah but I don't know how to use PowerPoint. :lol: But I really want to do this. Suggestions on where or how to learn?

If your son is technically savvy, he can learn it in no time. I know the basics, but my dd, who was 11 at the time, taught herself Power Point. Then, when she was taking a computer class at a local homeschool school (she was still 11), she helped the teacher with showing her peers how to use it.

She is obviously way ahead of me..... :tongue_smilie: Anyway, your son might quickly be teaching you!