Menu

Do you go to concerts? Who would you pay big $$$ to see?

I have not been to a concert in years. YEARS.

Tony Bennett is coming to my area in a few weeks- tickets START at $90 a person. Its not an arena venue, so I suppose thats why tickets are so expensive, but wow- that's a lot for back o' the room seats.

I would love, love, love to go- but there is just no way I can justify paying $200 for DH & I to see him (cause I"m not going by myself). A girl can dream though...

So, do you go to concerts? Who would you pay 'big money' to see live? Anyone?

Laura

I saw Tony Bennett in concert at Chautauqua Institution when I was a teen. I'm not a huge fan so my opinion may not be worth much, but it definitely wasn't worth the $90 you would be paying for a ticket!

If Jack Johnson was in the area I might fork out big bucks to see him in concert, because both my husband and I are fans. Michael Buble would be fun, too. I would love to see Josh Groban in concert, but my husband wouldn't enjoy it and I don't know of anyone else who would go with me. I've been to a few concerts, but I either had free tickets or they were cheap tickets to begin with.

I think the max I would pay is $50/ person... and that would have to be an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime concert.

We have been to three concerts since we've been married. One was a month after we were married (Steve Taylor, $20/person) and the other two were in the last year (Bela Fleck, $20/ person and U2, $30/person). I would pay to see U2 again; great concert. If someone handed me a couple thousand dollars and said I had to spend it on something "fun" (I generally prefer more practical gifts), I would probably buy floor tickets to a U2 concert for our whole family to go. A girl can dream...

I have never been to any concert other than those of a symphony orchestra.

I would like to go to concerts by The Rolling Stones and K.C. & The Sunshine Band.

If I had the extra money, the whole family would like to see The Rolling Stones, if they ever tour again. I'd probably have to beg and bribe someone to see K.C. with me, though.

We just paid $66 bucks each to see Pixies. We both love that band, had never seen them before, and did it for our anniversary. That's the max I would pay.

Of course ... the second night of the show, we went to the venue and found a scalper who was desperate to shed his tix, since the show had already started, and we got tix for the same section, same row we'd had the previous night for $20 each. :D

Tara

We've paid big bucks to only see a few concerts:

Josh Groban

Il Divo

Barry Manilow

We're looking forward to seeing the Canadian Tenors in 2 weeks. $80/seat for that one.

I know artists don't get what they deserve for their CDs and ticket sales is a big part of their income, so I'm not upset to pay that amount. Especially since we rarely think there is anything worthwhile to go and hear and put the $ out for.

(We've been given lots of freebies to Wolf Trap over the years and I would NEVER have paid the $ to see some of those- Beach Boys, Julio Iglesias, Donny Osmond, Canadian Brass- some good (D.O.) , some horrid BB)

I'd go see Jimmy Buffet live and in person for almost any amount of money. Hence the screen name.

I'm not sure about any amount of money but we have spent quite a bit on Buffet tickets (it adds up when there are 4 of us going).

We caught an unadvertised free show earlier this year and our girls have fallen in love with the live experience (at only 3 and 5).

We love concerts! We've seen: Metallica, Guns-n-Roses, Beastie Boys, Pink Floyd, Harry Connick Jr., Kiss, Aerosmith, James Taylor, REM, Nickleback, Big Audio Dynamite II, Paul McCartney, Indigo Girls, U2, Drivin n Cryin, Dixie Chicks, Alanis Morisette, and I'm sure I've missed a few.

We took our 3 dc to their first concert a couple of weeks ago- Hanson! That was fun and their music has gotten much better!

I forgot that we saw Jimmy Buffet this year! That was fun, but strange. I felt very young and I'm 40, and I've never seen a group of older people so intoxicated.

I don't go to concerts anymore BUT back in 1998 I saw Boyz II Men 3 times in a two week time span. I bought tickets through the fan club for one concert (nicely discounted), bought regular tickets from Ticketmaster for another concert then won 2 pairs of tickets at a club. The tickets I won at the club were Meet and Greet tickets so I got to meet them as well!

We paid a ridiculous amount of money to see The Police's reunion concert a few years ago. It was absolutely worth every penny! We called it our anniversary present to each other, felt like we were 16 again, and had a great time.

That's definitely not something we do often though. Less expensive concerts ($100 or less for both of us, usually) we do several times a year. My husband is more of a concert-goer than I am, but the type of music he likes these days (Americana) tends not to have really expensive concerts.

He did tell me the other day that he was taking me to see Amy Grant and Vince Gill in concert at Christmastime this year, which was very sweet, since they're not people he has a huge interest in seeing. I think that was a little more than the norm, but he didn't tell me how much ;).

SBP

I thought DH would want to see Elton John and Billy Joel when they came here a couple years ago, but he surprised me and said no. I still have a bit of guilt about that because I suspect he didn't want to go because *I* didn't want to go. I don't dislike their music, but it's not my cuppa.

I am thinking about getting tickets to go see Muse when they come to a nearby city in October. It'd be my second concert ever. My first was back in high school when I went to see Jars of Clay and Seven Mary Three play together. I went with some friends. I would probably spend big bucks to see Linkin Park, but don't hold me to it. It'd depend who else was playing. I'm picky like that.

I have seen: The Eagles, James Taylor, Bryan Adams, Kenny G (that was for my dh), Faith Hill, Jimmy Buffet, Michelle Branch, Amy Grant (when I was around 13?), Darryl Worley, The Nixons (they went to OU at the same time I did, they were just a local band then)...there are others, I'm sure.

I would pay $$$ to see U2, Van Morrison or Paul McCartney, those concerts have never worked out for us.

I'm not sure about any amount of money but we have spent quite a bit on Buffet tickets (it adds up when there are 4 of us going).

We caught an unadvertised free show earlier this year and our girls have fallen in love with the live experience (at only 3 and 5).

I have never been to a Buffet concert but the last time he performed back home my Facebook page was loaded with Buffet concert pics. I think everyone I knew went and tailgated.They definitely looked like they were all having a GREAT time. I think the pre-concert festivities defintely offset the price a bit then. :001_smile: Looks like a LOT of fun!

Pre-kiddos, we went to concerts all the time. Mid 80's was a good time here in Atl. for music (both local & visiting).

Now, if I had the $$ I'd pay to see, Just to name a few...

Radiohead

Shearwater

The Black Keys (though I hear they're not so great live)

Portishead

Animal Collective

Fleet Foxes

Yo-Yo Ma (I think everyone loves him)

Imogen Heap

PJ Harvey

Loudon Wainwright III

Yeasayer (and they are coming to Atl soon... Boo)

Beck

Xx

Tori Amos

Ryan Adams

Natalie Merchant

Iron & Wine

Emily Jane White

I'd also love to see a wonderful opera (no particular artists, as long as they were good) Same for a number of classical pieces. I've lost the time to keep up with who is at their pinnacle in both classical & jazz, but I love to listen just the same. I'd add some good blues in there as well.

Hopefully, one day soon, our family will be able to enjoy the magic of really good live music. Till then, we will just listen to tons via cd & iPod, as well as catch a free concert in the park, when we can.

I went to probably 50 back in my college days when I had a rich boyfriend :) Havent been to any since I got married and had kids. My DH has never been to one.

I would pay to see many people: Lady Antebellum, George Strait, Kenny Chesney, Black Eyed Peas, Justin Timberlake (yeah I know, but I love him)......

There's a lot of people I'd pay good money to see. Especially if it was a good venue.

We just saw BB King and Buddy Guy at the Hollywood Bowl, and it was worth every penny. Some of these guys are getting old, I don't want to miss an opportunity.

I'll also pay up for theater, we saw the Bolshoi Ballet last winter, and I hope to take the girls next time. If they appreciate it, it's worth it.

Some people like Neil Young, Joni Mitchel and Aretha Franklin are at the top of my list, but a group like Kraft Werk, I'd pay what ever to see. :)

We've snuck into a lot of concerts as well, I've seen many great reggae bands that way.

My husband works in the music industry, and I pass on opportunities to see people through out the year, it must be a sign that I'm getting older. :glare: Just because it's free doesn't mean it's worth it.

I have seen: The Eagles, James Taylor, Bryan Adams, Kenny G (that was for my dh), Faith Hill, Jimmy Buffet, Michelle Branch, Amy Grant (when I was around 13?), Darryl Worley, The Nixons (they went to OU at the same time I did, they were just a local band then)...there are others, I'm sure.

I would pay $$$ to see U2, Van Morrison or Paul McCartney, those concerts have never worked out for us.

I saw on another thread that you love Astral Weeks, we got to see Van Morrison play the whole record last year. It was amazing!! I hope you get a chance to see him. He's worth every penny.

That record is perfect.