Menu

Favorite physical science for 8th grade

Sweet Home Alabama

We are really loving 7th grade BJU life science with DVDs. I'm thinking ahead for next year, and I'm looking for a physical science that is just as engaging.

BJU physical is a 9th grade class, so it's probably too advanced, I would imagine. Am I right or wrong??? I know Apologia teaches physical science as does CPO, and Prentice Hall. I'm sure there must be others.

I'd really like to start comparing courses. Would you all please tell me which physical science you liked best for 8th grade?

We've enjoyed the Christian aspect of BJU, but I would consider secular. I'm mostly interested in a physical science that has experiments and is interesting.

Suggestions?:bigear:

We are going to use BJU's Physical Science in 8th grade. I've looked at a previous edition, and it doesn't seem to be anymore difficult than the Earth & Space that we are using this year (yowza!). My son is now accustomed to the BJU style and intensity in science, so I think that their Physical Science will be a good fit.

Having said that, I have not seen the most recent update of the course. But I have been very, very pleased with the new editions of Life Science and Earth/Space Science. So I'm counting on BJU for science for at least another year.

So don't mark it off the list just because it is listed as a 9th grade course on the BJU scope & sequence. I'd suggest taking a serious look at it (especially since you have enjoyed the Life Science course).

Hope that helps!

Jetta

Thanks, ladies!!!

I don't know a lot about the BJU physical science yet, but I think I remember reading that it hasn't been updated recently. I hope I'm wrong.

I think it would be awesome to continue with BJU and their DVD's if the program is as good as their 7th grade life science is -as long as it's not difficult high school level material.

I hate the expense...., but honestly, the life science is FANTASTIC!

Please, continue sharing your opinions about your favorite 8th grade physical science courses.

Some options besides CPO:

Singapore Interactive Science

Rainbow Science

Story of Science series by Joy Hakim

Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy

Sagira,

Just curious.... Are you listing these others because you do not like CPO physical science?

Also, are these that you listed meant for 8th grade?

Thanks for sharing!

We use DIVE science from 8th grade up. You can use the BJU Physical Science text with the DIVE cds. The syllabus for that text comes with it. The DVDs are $50 and have the lessons and the labs on there. You can also get a lab kit for the labs. We haven't used Physical science yet because I didn't find DIVE until get got to high school but I've used Chemistry and am using Biology this year. It's excellent and quite challenging.

Heather

We use DIVE science from 8th grade up. You can use the BJU Physical Science text with the DIVE cds. The syllabus for that text comes with it. The DVDs are $50 and have the lessons and the labs on there. You can also get a lab kit for the labs. We haven't used Physical science yet because I didn't find DIVE until get got to high school but I've used Chemistry and am using Biology this year. It's excellent and quite challenging.

Heather

Thanks, Heather!

I saw a sample of DIVE DVD's for physical science at LampPost Publishing. It looked like it had lots of information, but compared to the BJU life science DVD's, DIVE seemed dry. Now, maybe the sample was dry, and the rest of the DVD would be more engaging...... I just don't know.

Thanks, Heather!

I saw a sample of DIVE DVD's for physical science at LampPost Publishing. It looked like it had lots of information, but compared to the BJU life science DVD's, DIVE seemed dry. Now, maybe the sample was dry, and the rest of the DVD would be more engaging...... I just don't know.

I haven't looked into BJU's DVDs so I can't really compare. My daughter hasn't complained of DIVE being dry but it isn't an entertainment show either. Once we saw what I thought was a sample of BJU's DVDs which seemed like a video of a class complete with calling on and responding students that you couldn't see. My kids thought that was annoying so I didn't research further. I know they have so many different video-type products I really don't know what that was. I remember thinking it was a lot more expensive than DIVE too. That said, if you are going to use BJU science texts and the DVDs are working for you - by all means don't mess with it. Physical Science may be labelled as 9th grade but in many places, including here where I live, it is done in 8th grade and even when done in 9th will not count toward graduation so I think you are right in line with doing it in 8th.

Heather

We're using Apologia Physical Science for 8th grade this year. My son and I are both enjoying it thoroughly. His writing style is engaging and he explains concepts in an understandable way. If there is a sample online that you can read that would probably be helpful. Some don't like his conversational style. There are just enough experiments to keep us happy but not so many they are overwhelming...about 3 per chapter.

We are using PH's 9th grade Physical Science Concepts In Action. I can't tell you how much I like it. It is challenging. Pre-Algebra is required and Algebra would be even better. If you contact DIVE, Dr. Shoreman will give you a schedule to use this text with DIVE.

We did BJU Life Science last year too. I loved it, but ds much prefers physical science. My dd is looking forward to Life Science next year. I teach it myself though instead of using the DVDs.

We loved Apologia for Physical. I am a BJU fan and I am currently using BJU Biology (a 10th grade course) for 9th grade. But, I really, really liked the Apologia for physical....

:iagree:

It's the most user friendly thing I've seen, and with one older and two younger kids to school, that factored in heavily.

We can find the stuff for the labs, no expensive kit required, and they work. (Thanks to this book, I know why the first experiment in my 2nd graders earth science didn't work.)

Also, you can get the Red Wagon Tutorials lectures for these on dvd for about $50. My son has been enjoying these.

Making our own Physical Science was the best science we ever did -- loads of hands-on fun, and set the pace that worked for us.

We used and enjoyed Reader's Digest How Science Works as the spine and for the experiments. We also used a number of kits for extra experiments, and for extra info, also used:

- World of Chemistry (Tiner) -- historical look at key discoveries and scientists

- World of Physics (Tiner) -- historical look at key discoveries and scientists

- parts of Rader's Chem 4 Kids and Physics 4 Kids websites

- a hand-me-down copy of Abeka's 8th grade student science book, Matter & Motion

Chemistry chapters in Reader's Digest How Science Works

- world of matter

Chemistry Kits:

- TOPS Analysis

- TOPS Solutions

- TOPS Cohesion and Adhesion

Physics chapters Reader's Digest How Science Works:

- energy, force, motion

- light and sound

- air and water

- electricity and magnetism

- electronics and computers

Physics Kits:

- TOPS Floating and Sinking

- TOPS Heat

- TOPS Motion

- Educational Insights Kit: Adventures in Science: Electricity

- Educational Insights Kit: Adventures in Science: Light & Color

Heather

Physical Science may be labelled as 9th grade but in many places, including here where I live, it is done in 8th grade and even when done in 9th will not count toward graduation so I think you are right in line with doing it in 8th.

Wow, Heather. I haven't heard this before. I'm going to research more about BJU. Thanks for responding!

Physical Science may be labelled as 9th grade but in many places, including here where I live, it is done in 8th grade and even when done in 9th will not count toward graduation so I think you are right in line with doing it in 8th.

This is really a joke though because in 9th grade they have renamed the class "Integrated Science" and cover chemistry and physics. The most common textbook I have found used for "Integrated Science" is the PH Physical Science COI book that we are using. If you have a college that doesn't like the name Physical Science, you can just changed it to Integrated Science as long as you use a program that works. My understanding is that Apologia puts Earth Science in place of Chemistry or Physics (I don't remember which), making it more of an 8th grade only text. BJU and the secular books all cover both Chem and Physics so they all work in 9th grade as well as 8th.

This is really a joke though because in 9th grade they have renamed the class "Integrated Science" and cover chemistry and physics. The most common textbook I have found used for "Integrated Science" is the PH Physical Science COI book that we are using. If you have a college that doesn't like the name Physical Science, you can just changed it to Integrated Science as long as you use a program that works. My understanding is that Apologia puts Earth Science in place of Chemistry or Physics (I don't remember which), making it more of an 8th grade only text. BJU and the secular books all cover both Chem and Physics so they all work in 9th grade as well as 8th.

They've renamed it here as well but it's not even in the course offerings book for the high schools. It's an 8th grade course only. The high schools require 3 - 4 lab sciences (depending on your diploma) for graduation and the choices include Biology, Chem, Physics, a Geology course with Biology as a prerequisite, and the AP level and specialty courses like A&P. Each high school has it's own speciality courses that are all higher level than Bio and Chem.

Heather

• 1 month later...
Sagira,

Just curious.... Are you listing these others because you do not like CPO physical science?

Also, are these that you listed meant for 8th grade?

Thanks for sharing!

Oops.. No, no experience here. Just a lot of hours researching! I do like the looks of CPO a lot, I just didn't want to be redundant. Sorry I didn't see your question until now :)

Oops.. No, no experience here. Just a lot of hours researching! I do like the looks of CPO a lot, I just didn't want to be redundant. Sorry I didn't see your question until now :)

That's ok!:001_smile: Thanks for updating!! I still like the looks of CPO physical. The main problem is the expense of it.

I think I would choose to do Foundations of Physical Science and use the E-Book. I have NO idea how much this E-Book is or how to get it. But, I do know that to get the book and experiments is around $2000. Ouch!

For a bit of good news, however, I read on TWTM that you can use "Reader's Digest How_____ Works" to SUBSTITUTE the CPO experiments. Someone else shared using The Way Things Works by Macauly. So, there may be a way to avoid using their expensive equipment.

After I do some more research, I'd like to start a new thread specifically about how others have used CPO Physical Science (Foundations.... not middle school). I think most people have used CPO for life or earth science. I haven't read as much about CPO Physical Science.