Menu

Registration for NUMATS is now open...

Heather in WI

FYI for those interested. :-)

NUMATS uses the EXPLORE test—developed by ACT and normally given to students in grade 8—to determine the abilities of students in grades 3 through 6. The ACT and the SAT tests, typically used for college admissions, provide a more accurate picture of the mathematical and verbal reasoning abilities of students in grades 6 through 9.

After students test, parents receive comprehensive information about how their student measures up to other gifted students. This valuable feedback helps families plan for the future.

Has anyone done this? What is this planning information they claim to provide? It's being run right down the street from us so I've been considering doing it. It also potentially gains us access to summer camps. Brownie

This is our third year doing it. We haven't had our son attend any of the camps or classes, but rather use it as an outside barometer/confirmation for "mommy grades".

I have found the planning guide very helpful in planning out coursework for him.

After seeing ds's scores the first year, we switched a few things around to work on areas: 1) that I didn't realize he was struggling with (grammar) and 2) that he showed "giftedness" in and I hadn't realized it (science).

After seeing his scores the second year, we were happy to find that he was now excelling in grammar (Thank you, First Language Lessons and Writing with Ease!) and doing well in everything else.

We're very happy with the program.

Has anyone done this? What is this planning information they claim to provide? It's being run right down the street from us so I've been considering doing it. It also potentially gains us access to summer camps. Brownie

You are given a suggested course plan based on your child's scores. If nothing else it is validation of what many of us are doing, and suggestions and material for advocating if you are still in the PS system.

Some examples, prealgebra or even algebra I in 6th grade, with calculus in 10th. Things such as high school science in middle school, and AP classes prior to 11th grade. Telescoping materials so a students takes two years of curriculum in one year. I find it much more helpful than the locally provided standardized testing. ;)

There isn't a single testing site on the West coast. Is that normal? Is there something similar this side of the Rockies?

And I'm not aware of another talent competition that will test 3rd graders with EXPLORE. I'm not interested in testing out of age level because I want the scores for Davidson.

Anyone know of one?