Menu

Another myth debunked

So I was in Walmart in the middle of the day with 2 of the kids (while 1 was in his band lesson). The cashier asked if they were homeschooled. I affirmed her observation. Then she asked who taught them..." Uh, me", I said. She actually thought homeschool families had to hire someone to come to the home to teach. Never heard that one before. :lol: (Although on days this isn't a bad idea, shhhh).

Yeah, if I had a nickel for every weird homeschooling comment I've received...:glare: My BIL told my MIL that someone has to come to our house once a month and "check their progress". :confused: Huh?? Where does this all come from?

Like my friend said, "Why do cashiers always say something? What is it with cashiers? Is there some kind of training they get regarding questioning homeschoolers?"

actually about 15 years ago when my neice was in 11th grade, she became very stressed at school and just stopped going. This was before I knew about homeschooling and my sil knew nothing about it. The school sent a teacher to their home to teach her the rest of 11th grade and all of 12th grade.

This is actually how I finished high school. The school district had to pay for a teacher to come to our house every day. What a waste of money.

Like my friend said, "Why do cashiers always say something? What is it with cashiers? Is there some kind of training they get regarding questioning homeschoolers?"

I think it's a personality type. You sorta have to be a people person to be a cashier, so you're more likely to chat.

"Why do cashiers always say something? What is it with cashiers? Is there some kind of training they get regarding questioning homeschoolers?"

I put myself through University as a cashier in a grocery store. Yes, you are trained to hold small talk with the customer in an effort to make the store a place you like. To make it "your friendly hometown store". However, some people are just misguided on what is an ok topic to bring up when making your obligatory small talk.:001_smile:

I remember in college calling to inquire about a nannying job that was in the newspaper. It turned out that the job included "homeschooling" the 4 children. For $8 an hour! :rolleyes:

there was an ad in our local bulletin board like that recently - someone looking for a live in nanny who would homeschool their 11 year old.

We had a contractor in the house for some renovations and something came up about running phone lines for the fax machine etc. "Oh yeah", he says, "you must use that a lot for faxing in the kids' tests and work and everything in to the school!" :tongue_smilie:

I don't usually mind questions from cashiers (or others for that matter).

My kids and home schooling (along with home birthing) are things I love and love to talk about.

I was a cashier (and bank teller) back in high school and college. The hours go by a lot better when you socialize. I HOPE I didn't ask dumb questions. You can learn quite a bit by talking to people about things you don't already know about. I think it can be a good way to build rapport as well.

Maybe she thought Dad might do some teaching...or maybe K12? Here, in a state with K12 as a free ps option, I am asked if I "do my own thing" or use the virtual charter quite a bit.

Maybe she was just curious and the question just came out wrong?

Maybe she thinks Marry Poppins flies in on her umbrella daily...:lol:

Last night at the grocery store with my kids, the older gentleman bagging my groceries asked me if the kids were back in school now and did they go to one of the local schools. I told him no, that we home schooled. He says, "Oh, you're a teacher?" I said, "I am one now." He just raised his eyebrows at me and I walked away. :lol:

We've been getting more "how is school going?" questions from cashiers etc. Ds waxes eloquently on how much he's enjoying Latin while they rack their brains trying to figure out what school around here teaches Latin. Then he tells them he's homeschooled. I haven't been grilled yet on my qualifications - I think they are too intimidated! (Even though you and I know that I don't have to be some kind of Latin whiz to help him through his Latin book.)

She was probably confusing homeschooling and homebound. Homebound is when a public school sends a teacher to a child when the child cannot attend school due to illness or injury. Usually it's a couple of days a week for a few hours at a time, and then the child is given assignments to do independently.